Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you priming the oil pump after cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 01:24 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts
Default How are you priming the oil pump after cam swap?

Hi there,
I'm after some suggestions as to how you guys who've done a cam upgrade on Milwaukee Eights have primed the pump.

Had a mare of a time getting one to prime up the other day.
My method was to pull the plugs and turn her over on the starter.
I'd removed the oil pressure switch and was waiting for oil to pour out to let me know when oil was coming through but it seemed to take a really long time compared to twin cam touring models, like atleast fifteen 10 second hits on the starter. Not continual hits as I didn't want to damage the starter but pretty close together.
I was on the verge of disassembling to check I'd done nothing wrong, but tried one more time and finally oil came through. Which has taught me to be patient but it just seemed too long in my opinion.
Due to the enclosed oil passage ways from the oil pan you can't force feed any oil in there and was thinking next time to remove the oil filter and try and push it through from the oil filter side or through the oil pressure switch itself.
Are you finding this problem or was I just unlucky in how long it took to start priming?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks j_bee

Old 03-30-2017, 12:08 AM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Unless there is some new procedure with the M-8 that I am unaware of there is no "priming". Put it all together and fire it up. There is a procedure for aligning the pump which is outlined in the service manual. It's still a dry sump, so it's all the same whether changing oil or changing cams. I don't fill my filter at filter change, either. Cling oil will be all it needs till pressure comes up.