Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Clutch Safety Switch Problems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1169400-clutch-safety-switch-problems.html)

Kawickrice 04-09-2017 05:16 PM

Clutch Safety Switch Problems

Has anyone had a problem with thier bike not starting in gear? I was riding with some friends when one of them mentioned his bike (17 M8 Limited) just stalled at a stop light. He was able to get it started by using neutral only, it would not start in gear with the clutch pulled in. He took it to the dealer who said it was a switch in the clutch master cylinder. The dealer fixed it and said he has seen quite a few failures. When he told me his bike stalled for no reason I told him mine stalled for no reason recently. I have a 17 Limited also. Being curious after he told me about it I tried to start mine in in gear and it would not start. I guess I need to go talk to the service dept at my local dealer and get it taken care of. I was not aware of this until he told me. Has your bike stalled for no reason? And if so will it start in gear with clutch lever pulled in?

SWThomas 04-09-2017 05:23 PM

Nope. No issues here.

wiltat2 04-09-2017 10:11 PM

The M8 you have to have the clutch pulled in and apply the break to start it in gear.

On my Tri-Glide right around 3800 miles it would not start frequently in gear, even when I followed this procedure. They had to replace a plastic part in the left hand grip area related to the clutch, it engaged some switch.

It had stalled on me in a turn from a red light shortly before this started happening.

Mxdad 04-10-2017 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by wiltat2 (Post 16120419)
The M8 you have to have the clutch pulled in and apply the break to start it in gear.

On my Tri-Glide right around 3800 miles it would not start frequently in gear, even when I followed this procedure. They had to replace a plastic part in the left hand grip area related to the clutch, it engaged some switch.

It had stalled on me in a turn from a red light shortly before this started happening.

I have started mine in gear but to the best of my knowledge did not have the brake on.

14GuineaPig 04-10-2017 06:11 AM

I think it's just the trikes that require the brake.

Harttoo 04-10-2017 08:36 AM

Clutch safety switch is in the left switch housing.You will need a new switch pack.

buelldude 09-18-2017 02:26 PM

I just took mine in for the same problem and the dealer said they couldn't get it to do it for them. I guess I will have to wait till it just dies for them to fix the problem

Oldskewl 09-18-2017 02:33 PM

That must be the click you feel when using the clutch. Maybe the safety switch? It was noticeable when I first bought my bike but I haven't noticed it in months.

As far as applying the brake and clutch to start a bike, that's incorrect. You don't need the brake on. This is an old thread.

lyork 09-18-2017 04:40 PM

You only have to have the brake on with the Trikes. And yes, I've lost two clutch safety switches on my M8. First one was Stock, then I bought the lighted switch paks and it also failed.

I'm curious what you mean by "stalled" ?? It actually shut off ?

Papa G 09-18-2017 05:06 PM

Start mine in gear as much as in neutral--now I know what to do if this happens.