Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Stage 2 owners, buyers remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Johnny!
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default SE Stage 2 owners, buyers remorse?

I have my bike scheduled for the stage 2 torque cam install at my dealer tomorrow, expensive proposition and begs the question to those who have had this cam installed.
Bike will be going from stock to stage 2 with SE tuner, street cannons and ventilator AC.
I wanted to go the Fuel Moto route with like parts and it looks like their dyno charts exceed what SE offers...but I want to maintain warranty as I intend to go the extended route after the factory expires.

So....Screamin Eagle stage 2...Happy with it? buyers remorse, anyone?

Last edited by Johnny!; 04-13-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:58 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Same boat

Originally Posted by Johnny!
I have my bike scheduled for the stage 2 torque cam install at my dealer tomorrow, expensive proposition and begs the question to those who have had this cam installed.
Bike will be going from stock to stage 2 with SE tuner, street cannons and ventilator AC.
I wanted to go the Fuel Moto route with like parts and it looks like their dyno charts exceed what SE offers...but I want to maintain warranty as I intend to go the extended route after the factory expires.

So....Screamin Eagle stage 2...Happy with it? buyers remorse, anyone?
I'm in the same boat, hope someone with specific cam answers.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

I did it except I left the stock mufflers on.. It will keep me happy til the warranty runs out.. I do kinda wish I'd tried the HP cam tho.. The Tq cam improved the mid-range a bit and top end slightly but motor still signs off a little early for me.. Mufflers might have helped but I like the quiet..

The following users liked this post:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (08-26-2020)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

There is one other option----You can go the Fuel Moto route. Save your stock cans and your Stock aircleaner. Buy the FM parts and use the PC Powervision flasher. It will save/archive your stock map. RIde the bike and enjoy it. If you ever have an issue, put the stock pieces back on, reflash the ECU back to stock and take it in. Yeah it is a pain and about 2 hours of your life, BUT, you get a much better set up and lifetime support from FM for future maps and upgrades.

The HD tuner is okay, but limited compared to the PC Powervision tuner and FM does some darn good work! That's the route I am going. Doubt very seriously I will need any warranty work and if it is something like the oil pump, well, don't think any dealer would give you a hard time about that warranty repair regardless of how you are set up.

I was talking to my dealer, and they said if it is from a company like FM, they would have no issue supporting me. If I did the mapping, well that's another story!

That whole lawsuit with the EPA really tied HD's hands, there is only so much you'll get from the HD tunes. They are not bad, but not as good as they could be IMO.

Last edited by Firebolter; 04-10-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:48 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I did it except I left the stock mufflers on.. It will keep me happy til the warranty runs out.. I do kinda wish I'd tried the HP cam tho.. The Tq cam improved the mid-range a bit and top end slightly but motor still signs off a little early for me.. Mufflers might have helped but I like the quiet..
quick question..did you just do the SE calibration or have it dyno tuned? I just have the SE Stage 1 and dyno tuned....reason I ask is my buddy just had his Canons replaced due to baffle rattle and with others reporting it, in the event I have the problem with mine, and depending on if it's before or after warranty replacement I may put my stock cans back on and sell the new Canons, or if outside of warranty I won't buy another set...sooooo, since dyno tuned with Canons then putting stock muffs back on...will the tune I have still play nicely? my suspicion is there's a big enough flow diff between the two that the tune may be affected in a negative way...or one of those things you just have to throw them on and see..not going to hurt anything..may opt for Kerker Slash muffs at that point as well which would be a trial and error affair

update: sorry OP, hit me after i submitted that I went off topic..my apologies

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-10-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Johnny!
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebolter
There is one other option----You can go the Fuel Moto route. Save your stock cans and your Stock aircleaner. Buy the FM parts and use the PC Powervision flasher. It will save/archive your stock map. RIde the bike and enjoy it. If you ever have an issue, put the stock pieces back on, reflash the ECU back to stock and take it in. Yeah it is a pain and about 2 hours of your life, BUT, you get a much better set up and lifetime support from FM for future maps and upgrades.

The HD tuner is okay, but limited compared to the PC Powervision tuner and FM does some darn good work! That's the route I am going. Doubt very seriously I will need any warranty work and if it is something like the oil pump, well, don't think any dealer would give you a hard time about that warranty repair regardless of how you are set up.

I was talking to my dealer, and they said if it is from a company like FM, they would have no issue supporting me. If I did the mapping, well that's another story!

That whole lawsuit with the EPA really tied HD's hands, there is only so much you'll get from the HD tunes. They are not bad, but not as good as they could be IMO.
Thought of doing that.....but we ride away from my dealer often on longer tours and don't feel like sweating that detail when I just want to be in ride mode.

Again, looking for members who have done this same SE stage 2 upgrade and their experience with it.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
quick question..did you just do the SE calibration or have it dyno tuned? I just have the SE Stage 1 and dyno tuned....reason I ask is my buddy just had his Canons replaced due to baffle rattle and with others reporting it, in the event I have the problem with mine, and depending on if it's before or after warranty replacement I may put my stock cans back on and sell the new Canons, or if outside of warranty I won't buy another set...sooooo, since dyno tuned with Canons then putting stock muffs back on...will the tune I have still play nicely? my suspicion is there's a big enough flow diff between the two that the tune may be affected in a negative way...or one of those things you just have to throw them on and see..not going to hurt anything..may opt for Kerker Slash muffs at that point as well which would be a trial and error affair

update: sorry OP, hit me after i submitted that I went off topic..my apologies
I would suspect that it won't make a whole lot of difference when changing mufflers when running stock cams.. Still the dyno tune was optimized for a particular build, Change that build and the tune potentially changes. It simply means that the tune is no longer optimized. I would guess that the bike will run fine as the stock cams are really what limit the flow on the M8.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firebolter

What are you going to do with the cams if you have to take it back in for warranty work?. Changing cams with stock pushrods is a PITA. Definitely longer longer than 2 hours. How well is it going to run with a stock flash and cams? What if you have a running issue or burn up the motor? Chrome pealing, you are probably OK..

Old 04-10-2017, 11:12 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I did a stage II when I purchased and had it done before I rode the bike. So can't compare stock vs. stage II. But I will attest, the bike is loaded with pull. It's like you would really have to work to lug the engine because as soon as you roll the throttle up it just pulls, even at lower rpm's.

My next mod though, is taking it up to Fuel Moto and have them install their new headpipe, Power Vision, and then have them dyno tune it. So, I guess I'll eat the cost of the HD tuner, but oh well.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:27 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,807 Likes on 627 Posts

I had the stage 2 torq with all SE parts its an improvement .Pulls further out than stock which falls off after 3500. Its a nice tame cam that gives mild performance boost . Overall I'm happy with it but I used to be a hp/tq junkie and anything that didn't pull my arms out of the socket wasn't good enough. So if your expecting a nite and day difference better just wait till after warranty and go for broke

Quick Reply: SE Stage 2 owners, buyers remorse?