Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended saddlebags for our 17 models?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Beretta52
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Extended saddlebags for our 17 models?

Hey all. I'm in the market for purchasing extended saddlebags for my 17 RGS. I've seen a forum vendor sponsored on here ADVAN BLACK. They apparently have all the OEM paint codes from Harley for a perfect factory paint match. My question is, do they look as good as factory bags do? Are there any "waves" or "warbling imperfections" in the mold. (when you look down the sides instead of the frontal view?) The buckets come w/ or w/o lids too. Are they thinner & more susceptible to damage? They come pre-painted for app $500 out of Hong Kong. Apparently there is a distribution center in Ca. too but most everything is coming out of Hong Kong. They do tour packs etc. For any of you that have bought from them were you satisfied or should the buyer beware? They are on EBAY as well, & prices on the internet are all over the place. mostly all unpainted. Makes it difficult what to spend & who to get it from. Any feedback either way on ADVAN BLack is appreciated as I am closer to buying from them. I'd hate to drop $500 or more & be disappointed.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:13 AM
Hephaestus
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Do a post search for Advanblack. You will find some feedback about their products. Also they are a sponsor here if you want to contact them with questions.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:35 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

I remember finding a vendor who sold saddle bags a while back. they were actually the vendor for Harley and it was claimed that they sold the same bag to the public minus the Harley locking hasp. People were buying those bags and putting them on their metric bikes. I saw one and honestly, it was the EXACT same bag. cant recall their name however. If I run across the name, I will post it. They did have extended bags.

The following users liked this post:
oldbie (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 PM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I bough my 4" extended from an ebay vendor out of Canada for $449.95 shipped and painted to match. I simply swapped my OEM lids onto the new extended bottoms and it all fit well. I plan to sell the OEM bottoms and aftermarket lids to help defray costs. My extended bags are full extensions and not added extender bottoms so it's smooth top to bottom and molded in one piece. Of course, mine are also black denim which would tend to minimize that warbled finish appearance if not perfect.

Once I get my new Bassani Down Under True Duals and DNA slip-ons with the reverse slashed tips installed with the black heat shields, should look better.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Beretta52
Tourer

Originally Posted by xnysgt
I bough my 4" extended from an ebay vendor out of Canada for $449.95 shipped and painted to match. I simply swapped my OEM lids onto the new extended bottoms and it all fit well. I plan to sell the OEM bottoms and aftermarket lids to help defray costs. My extended bags are full extensions and not added extender bottoms so it's smooth top to bottom and molded in one piece. Of course, mine are also black denim which would tend to minimize that warbled finish appearance if not perfect.

Once I get my new Bassani Down Under True Duals and DNA slip-ons with the reverse slashed tips installed with the black heat shields, should look better.

they look exactly like the ones Advan Black are selling on EBay except in Velocity Red color which is my bike color. I was told Advan Blacks bags are not as thick as Harleys, or Baddag baggers bags, but priced less. I checked some reviews, & they have both positive & negative responses. I'm not sure wether or not to make the buy now or not. Hoping to get more feedback from others who have purchased thru Advan Black. Still not sure about dropping $500 & getting a defective product. Also do you remember the vendor you used for yours? Thanks

Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

I did the Nasty hog bags and fender but had to paint them look nice done

Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 AM
goblue90
Road Master
Received 334 Likes on 193 Posts

I bought Arlen Ness extended bags and fender extension for my SGS:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...addlebags.html

Old 04-19-2017, 07:13 PM
xnysgt
Tourer

Originally Posted by Beretta52
they look exactly like the ones Advan Black are selling on EBay except in Velocity Red color which is my bike color. I was told Advan Blacks bags are not as thick as Harleys, or Baddag baggers bags, but priced less. I checked some reviews, & they have both positive & negative responses. I'm not sure wether or not to make the buy now or not. Hoping to get more feedback from others who have purchased thru Advan Black. Still not sure about dropping $500 & getting a defective product. Also do you remember the vendor you used for yours? Thanks
The eBay vendor I got my extended bags from was colton_customs

I also bought the AN rear fender extender which I'll paint and get on the bike once northeast weather allows.

Last edited by xnysgt; 04-19-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 AM
xnysgt
Tourer

Originally Posted by Beretta52
If Advan Blacks is making a point of highlighting the fact that their bags are that much thinner than OEM, you definitely want to give due consideration to the negative comments from their existing customers. Here's the first thing that I wondered. What happens if you accidentally push a half helmet or something else down into those thinner bags and there's flex between the side walls of the bag? Could that cause fracturing or spider webbing or worse to the paint finish? Are their bags injection molded ABS like OEM, or fiberglass? Just some things to consider. Money is always an issue, but don't sacrifice quality for cost, it can bite you in the ***.

My aftermarkets are every bit as thick as OEM. They are not as clean and as well finished on the inside as factory, but I'm going to throw in some one piece HD saddlebag inserts, so I figure what difference will that make?!

Old 04-21-2017, 03:59 PM
Beretta52
Tourer

Originally Posted by xnysgt
If Advan Blacks is making a point of highlighting the fact that their bags are that much thinner than OEM, you definitely want to give due consideration to the negative comments from their existing customers. Here's the first thing that I wondered. What happens if you accidentally push a half helmet or something else down into those thinner bags and there's flex between the side walls of the bag? Could that cause fracturing or spider webbing or worse to the paint finish? Are their bags injection molded ABS like OEM, or fiberglass? Just some things to consider. Money is always an issue, but don't sacrifice quality for cost, it can bite you in the ***.

My aftermarkets are every bit as thick as OEM. They are not as clean and as well finished on the inside as factory, but I'm going to throw in some one piece HD saddlebag inserts, so I figure what difference will that make?!

Yea. I have to agree with you. I haven't committed to the purchase as of yet with Advan Black. I checked out colton customs in Canada. Unfortunately they do not pre-paint any other color other than Vivid Black now. So even if I were to go that route now I'd have to drop another $400 to get the bags redone in velocity Red. Advans bags are not fiberglass but a hardened plastic mold. One recent review on Amazon praised them on the buckets w/o lids. Then there are some other reviews, that were a bit disappointed in their products on a different site. So it sounds like a 'crap-shoot" either way. I'll bide some time & do some additional research before committing. Just want it right the first time around. On the lighter side though, Advan black will do a full refund within 60 days if I'm dissatisfied, but I'm stuck paying the return shipping of $75 over & above the original purchase price.. I priced Harleys bags and they are up there in price. I can do better than what they want price wise.

Quick Reply: Extended saddlebags for our 17 models?