Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Trans fluid is everyone using on the m8

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:33 AM
101ABN_17FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like old school double clutching to me, required prior to syncro gears.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:39 PM
WmRickert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was always a fan of M1 V-Twin oil till I had a cam and rollers fail.

I'm running Spectro now.

Specifically Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed transmission oil in the transmission.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Much as I hate an oil thread I thank you all for the input also, the old 4 speeds got straight 50wt motor oil and the leakers got 75-140 gear oil. I however do not like the thin **** the factory put in the 17 6 speeds, dealers doing the 1k as part of our deal so I'll be bringing my own tranny oil for it.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:32 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Much as I hate an oil thread I thank you all for the input also, the old 4 speeds got straight 50wt motor oil and the leakers got 75-140 gear oil. I however do not like the thin **** the factory put in the 17 6 speeds, dealers doing the 1k as part of our deal so I'll be bringing my own tranny oil for it.
yeah, I hate oil threads as much as anyone...and have always used Formula+ for no other reason than it's under $10, convenient and available everywhere...re: "I however do not like the thin **** the factory" ..pretty sure it's the same "thin" **** they have been putting in all their bikes for what, a decade or 2? guess it's good enough, especially since they recommend 20,000 change intervals although I typically cut the intervals almost in half on all the fluids...have to believe they would have kicked that thin **** to the curb long ago if it was causing problems...out of curiosity tho I'm interested in trying the Spectro to see what all the hub bub is about...since I've never had any shifting issues, finding neutral, repairs needed or whatever kind of feels like I'd be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist..we shall see

Old 04-29-2017, 10:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, I hate oil threads as much as anyone...and have always used Formula+ for no other reason than it's under $10, convenient and available everywhere...re: "I however do not like the thin **** the factory" ..pretty sure it's the same "thin" **** they have been putting in all their bikes for what, a decade or 2? guess it's good enough, especially since they recommend 20,000 change intervals although I typically cut the intervals almost in half on all the fluids...have to believe they would have kicked that thin **** to the curb long ago if it was causing problems...out of curiosity tho I'm interested in trying the Spectro to see what all the hub bub is about...since I've never had any shifting issues, finding neutral, repairs needed or whatever kind of feels like I'd be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist..we shall see
Factory while an all in one oil works they dump the same in all holes as a cost savings issue. It's an ordeal to otherwise, you wouldn't believe the EPA, OSHA and regulatory issues. It isn't always what's best, it's what gets the job done the most cost effective.

Mine shifts well enough but sweet jesus it's noisy sounds like a hammer getting tossed into a bucket each shift and a lot of gear clack gets transmitted. I actually used a wooden chop stick to make sure there was oil in the the trans as it's thin enough it wasn't sticking enough to see on the chrome dipstick. Do not like that....

Spectro or Redline , I've used both in the past and with a 4 it's hard to tell if there's any real gains but they didn't cause problems either. All the crap going on in a 6 speed I can see improvements.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:28 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Factory while an all in one oil works they dump the same in all holes as a cost savings issue.
oh, you were talking about the SYN3 factory fill in the CVO's only...yeah, I never use that..I meant the plain old conventional fluid...I have no experience or knowledge of whether or not that whole one size fits all solution works good or not, suspect it must not be bad since they have been doing it for 13 years and wouldn't think they would put it in their top of the line bikes if it was problematic...I'm like most others ..seems like to much of a compromise for my liking..transmission fluid belongs in the transmission

Old 04-30-2017, 06:34 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by WmRickert
Was always a fan of M1 V-Twin oil till I had a cam and rollers fail.

I'm running Spectro now.

Specifically Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed transmission oil in the transmission.
I seriously doubt Mobil 1 V-Twin had anything to do with a cam/roller failure.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:31 AM
Hammerhead59
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've always ran Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6 speed transmission oil 75w140 in my previous bike. Last week, I switched over to it on my M8 (from HD syn 3). The difference was nothing short of impressive. The huge first gear clunk has been drastically reduced, along with overall shifting noise too. Maybe it's my imagination, but I don't feel the clunks in the hand shifter as much either (something new on the 17 M8 that I never felt on my 2014 SGS). Overall a win win for me.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:23 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hammerhead59
I've always ran Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6 speed transmission oil 75w140 in my previous bike. Last week, I switched over to it on my M8 (from HD syn 3). The difference was nothing short of impressive. The huge first gear clunk has been drastically reduced, along with overall shifting noise too. Maybe it's my imagination, but I don't feel the clunks in the hand shifter as much either (something new on the 17 M8 that I never felt on my 2014 SGS). Overall a win win for me.
That's the hydraulic clutch system, fluid under pressure will transmit vibration and shock's as you've noticed.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Hammerhead59
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's the hydraulic clutch system, fluid under pressure will transmit vibration and shock's as you've noticed.
Out of curiosity, do you know why I didn't feel it at all on my 2014 SGS? Seems something is different with this clutch. On the 2014 it wasn't at the end of the release either which make me think something is different?

Quick Reply: What Trans fluid is everyone using on the m8