Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Bug Report

Old 04-16-2017, 11:18 AM
merman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2017 Bug Report

Posting this here because it isn't engine related so didn't think it should go under the M8 Problems thread. Someone else might have my same experience.

Picked up my new CVO limited Thursday. Rode about 350 miles or so. “VERY” nice bike.

Friday, me and a buddy rode another 130 miles or so. I hadn’t even thought about checking out the cruise control while breaking in the new bike. On first attempt the cruise worked as expected. Later in the afternoon I tried it again. On second attempt to checkout the cruise control, the indicator lamp wouldn't go green and the cruise did not engage. After several attempts to engage the cruise, the red security lamp came on and stayed on the rest of the day. Even after several stops and ignition cycles. After getting home and researching the forums I went out to check if my brakes lights were staying on, they were. I couldn't tell which brake lever was causing the issue.

The next morning I rode to the dealer. The tech spend quite a bit of time on the bike. Everything he checked was good but the brake lights were staying on and the ECM had a body control module (BCM) fault indicating problem with brake lights. The tech switched out both the upper right hand control module and lower brake light switch and the brake lights remained on. All wire metering looked good. Finally after plugging back in my original brake control module and lower brake light switch the brake lights went out and everything worked as expected. The tech told me all this and explained "I really don't know what fixed it". He said he entered it into the computer in case the problem occurred gain. I rode another 150 miles or so without any issues.

600 miles on the bike now and lovin every minute of it !

Side note: Just in case someone else has it, got a squeak coming from under me somewhere when hitting rough bumps. Sounds like rubber on finished metal. Haven’t washed the bike yet so it may go away then.

I know, need a new picture down here :-)

The following users liked this post:
Zortster99 (04-17-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:38 AM
merman
Club Member
Default Here's another one (unresolved)

Coming up on 900 miles. At about 500, I started noticing a bad squeak when hitting a bump. Sounds just like my Road King did when my exhaust tip hangers were squeaking in the rubber insulators but not the case this time. I can make the squeak occur with the bike on the side stand and still can't locate it. (wearing me out) It's a loud, obnoxious squeak - sounds like metal to metal) From The right side of the bike (on side stand) I can grab the right rear crash bar with my right hand and the luggage rack with my left hand and just kinda rock the bike more side to side than forward to rear to create the squeak. I've loosened all exhaust, rear shock and tour pack hardware and removed side luggage. Hell, I could even record the sound probably and share it with you guys! Going in for my 1000 mile service soon. The shop sure ain't gonna like me. :-( Damn bike sounds like a worn out garbage truck.....

Old 05-08-2017, 11:45 AM
strat10
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

No Squeaks here, but I had the same issue with the brake light remaining on and triggering the discharge light. Mine was self inflicted, and caused by me improperly installing the right handlebar switch housing. This caused some pressure on the brake light causing it to stay on.

Not sure if this was the same issue as yours.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:08 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by merman
Coming up on 900 miles. At about 500, I started noticing a bad squeak when hitting a bump. Sounds just like my Road King did when my exhaust tip hangers were squeaking in the rubber insulators but not the case this time. I can make the squeak occur with the bike on the side stand and still can't locate it. (wearing me out) It's a loud, obnoxious squeak - sounds like metal to metal) From The right side of the bike (on side stand) I can grab the right rear crash bar with my right hand and the luggage rack with my left hand and just kinda rock the bike more side to side than forward to rear to create the squeak. I've loosened all exhaust, rear shock and tour pack hardware and removed side luggage. Hell, I could even record the sound probably and share it with you guys! Going in for my 1000 mile service soon. The shop sure ain't gonna like me. :-( Damn bike sounds like a worn out garbage truck.....
I noticed what is probably the same squeak while on the side stand the other day. Haven't figured it out yet either. lol

Old 05-08-2017, 12:16 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have added aftermarket pipes, check the metal piece that slides into the rubber piece under the bags. I had this issue on a previous bike. I think the rubber piece worked it's way out.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:55 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

I'm a little disappointed, I was expecting to read about the types of bugs you killed on your latest ride

The following 3 users liked this post by purpledeuce:
cajunlowrider (05-19-2017), ffltjeff (05-18-2017), Spy11 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:31 PM
merman
Club Member

I'll tell you guy's, I love this new bike, but the squeak is making it a big disappointment, not to mention it's embarrassing to spend the jack these things cost and then have a damn squeak! (trying to remain positive here)

Old 05-08-2017, 02:47 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Have you checked your tour-pak latch? The latch on my Ultra would squeak unless the contact areas were perfectly clean. Try unlatching the lid and setting a towel or something between the latch when you do your squeak test...

Old 05-08-2017, 02:52 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Did you blow high air pressure in to your brake pads, then clean the brake routers off with brake cleaner !!!. might help.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:49 PM
smokingjoe
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't get frustrated man, run the bike by the service guys and let them hassle with it.
Damn good looking bike.
Best/joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Bug Report