Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN of the M8's w/ Engine Oil Pump problems

Old 04-20-2017, 06:16 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by frankegd
Got word from the dealer, they have replaced the oil pump. As soon as they drop it off, I will test it to see if it smokes or if there is any more oil leaking from the rear cylinder/rocker cover. If it smokes when it starts, it goes right back to the dealer.

Thank you
FrankEGD
Just curious - how does replacing the oil pump fix a leak at the rear cyl rocker cover?

Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 PM
96slowbra
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkBorg
Mine failed. New motor for me.
how many miles when it failed?

Old 04-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Originally Posted by grayjoe
Just rode my 17 Road King home yesterday and I love it. Have the same issue as riderboy1961. The bike sounds horrible when starting from first gear and at low speeds. It is like a loud lifter noise of a car with no oil. Any others experience this?

Bought mine in 1st week of September so it's an early build. Zero problems until last night 8900 miles. Started it last night to take a ride and you described my sound perfectly. At first I thought to myself it sounds like a dry valvetrain but it sure sounded like it was coming from the bottom end. Oil level was midway on the stick. I changed the oil today and the chatter is still there. I have a mountain trip scheduled with tickets already purchased and I am very nervous. I am going to the dealer tomorrow. Wish me luck.

The following users liked this post:
riderboy1961 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 PM
glj100
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Had problems with mine since day 1. Oil cam and cam plate replaced. Just got bike out for the spring and Oil light issues again. Dealer is replacing bike with new one Saturday. Will post vin when i get home

Old 04-21-2017, 07:06 AM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't. But dealer did not say anything else, they've left voice mail, I did not talk to them yet. I also have not yet seen the bike.
As soon as I do, I will check for smoke at start and oil on the fins after a ride. If I see either one, the bike goes back.

Thank you
FrankEGD

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Just curious - how does replacing the oil pump fix a leak at the rear cyl rocker cover?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:08 AM
glj100
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glj100
Had problems with mine since day 1. Oil cam and cam plate replaced. Just got bike out for the spring and Oil light issues again. Dealer is replacing bike with new one Saturday. Will post vin when i get home
VIN HB851154 for my failed engine

Old 04-21-2017, 08:23 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by glj100
VIN HB851154 for my failed engine
I have no issues with my bike, but have been following this thread. I think You bought your bike around Aug 2016, my Bike was built in Nov 2016 and your vin is about 200,000 higher. Build dates will be more helpful. They can be found on the bikes sticker.

Last edited by sixguns; 04-21-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 AM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

H-D has been building Motorcycles since 1903! How the Hell can there be Shoddy Built oil pumps? That's like having a Bad Heart, with a leaky valve? My Mother-in-law got a Cows Valve, & lived another 8 years? Even if the pumps are made in China, you would think the Overpaid people on the Motor Assembly line could spot a Bad Pump! Can't imagine they opened a Box from China, & thought,"these oil pumps look like ****, lets put them on"? H-D doesn't make money on selling Bikes, it's T-Shirts & Service!

Old 04-21-2017, 10:06 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,061 Likes on 3,315 Posts

Originally Posted by boston jim
H-D has been building Motorcycles since 1903! How the Hell can there be Shoddy Built oil pumps? That's like having a Bad Heart, with a leaky valve? My Mother-in-law got a Cows Valve, & lived another 8 years? Even if the pumps are made in China, you would think the Overpaid people on the Motor Assembly line could spot a Bad Pump! Can't imagine they opened a Box from China, & thought,"these oil pumps look like ****, lets put them on"? H-D doesn't make money on selling Bikes, it's T-Shirts & Service!
Hate to say it but, my company recently lost its two lead machinist's so we had to go to China to get parts made. The quality is incredibly good. I wish I could say it isn't so. The dimensional accuracy is consistent from the first piece to the thousandth. These pumps are a housing with an outer and inner gear driven off the crank, a cover and bypass. The debris issue I can see happening even if they spin test the motors. Might take many cycles for debris to jam open the bypass. Not something you might see on assembly or testing. As for a clean pump not putting out enough OP , pumps like this would require too great a gap between them and the cover. Usually you measure that with a depth mic on assembly, so I don't know if they use go-no go gauges or not, but that should be something they check. Things happen, its how thy get addressed that matter IMO.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:37 PM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealer dropped the bike off. according to the paperwork they have replaced/done the following:

62400124 Oil Pump Assy, Water Cooled M8
25700731 Gasket Set, Cam Service
Took the tech 5.5 hours.

All warranty work, of course...

So, new oil pump and new gasket for rear rocker cover. No smoke (yet) on startup. No test ride other then the 20ft into the garage.
I maybe able to ride it next week and will report back.

Thank you
FrankEGD

Originally Posted by frankegd
Got word from the dealer, they have replaced the oil pump. As soon as they drop it off, I will test it to see if it smokes or if there is any more oil leaking from the rear cylinder/rocker cover. If it smokes when it starts, it goes right back to the dealer.

Thank you
FrankEGD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIN of the M8's w/ Engine Oil Pump problems