Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 brought me back to life!!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

clearing the codes is easy, and so is flashing with either tuner. I was just wondering if there was a way to tell which tuner flashed what map from examining the ECM during a service and/or warranty repair visit. anyone know? I noticed there is a history of maps registered on the SEPST as it reads the ECM but this history can also be cleared. Maybe that's how you can tell?

Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

From my experience the main reason for logging O2 codes is because the AFR is too lean or too rich for the sensors to get good reading so it logs an error code.
This is the reason the dealer suggested a dyno tune....there are no canned maps that will replace a proper tune by a competent tuner.
Some will ride a bike that needs tuning but will not do so due to the dealer or others telling him the system will self tune for the changes in airflow through the engine.
Once a bike has been recalibrated for changes the owner will remark at how much smoother and more responsive the bike feels...including excellent mileage as well.
Bob

Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer

agreed. working out logistics now and making sure HD pays for it. In the meantime I will attempt to resolve the issue myself by doing an SE smart tune session. If that doesn't work I'll use the FP3 I recently purchased.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Yo Guys,
I have the same setup as QUICK, with the Pro Street Tuner. Bike runs great, never really rode it without stage 1 as I did it right away before the weather permitted a ride. No decel pop or any other issues. Just got to that magic 500 mile broke in point. Ran her hard, ran great. Was pleased to find that the stage 1 upped the rev limiter, I backed off at 6k rpm. i'm guessing 6250 is the limit. Older Twin cams with normal rev limiter settings were 6250, yes you could adjust them higher with the old race tuner if your motor was built. I will do some auto tunes now since I bought the cables and loaded the map myself.

We can debate this all day, yes an aftermarket tuner gives you more options and non EPA tune capability, but my scoot runs great, makes me smile, and is still covered by factory warranty.

HEY QUICK, did u put that catless pipe on yet and HOW YOU LIKE THEM RCX now?

Eagle Out
I am still debating whether a catless head pipe is worth $500, on the fence about that. I heard the RCX's from behind going through the gears and I have to say they sound pretty damn good! I will be sticking with them. I haven't messed with my rev limit, I can adjust it through the FP3 but probably won't. What ever its set at now is good with me, my SGS is far from what I would call a "race horse" so not much need in getting up in the rev limit area anyway, pretty sure the stock M8 is not making much power beyond 4k rpm's so not need to stress the motor much past that, for sure not 6k rpm's. My next money will be spent on handlebars, trying to decide between 10 inch or 12's.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,219 Likes on 3,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I am still debating whether a catless head pipe is worth $500, on the fence about that. I heard the RCX's from behind going through the gears and I have to say they sound pretty damn good! I will be sticking with them. I haven't messed with my rev limit, I can adjust it through the FP3 but probably won't. What ever its set at now is good with me, my SGS is far from what I would call a "race horse" so not much need in getting up in the rev limit area anyway, pretty sure the stock M8 is not making much power beyond 4k rpm's so not need to stress the motor much past that, for sure not 6k rpm's. My next money will be spent on handlebars, trying to decide between 10 inch or 12's.
Blowing $500 on a catless head pipe while still using an EPA cam is a waste of money.. You really need a cam with overlap to take advantage of the better flowing and scavenging pipe.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Blowing $500 on a catless head pipe while still using an EPA cam is a waste of money.. You really need a cam with overlap to take advantage of the better flowing and scavenging pipe.
Guess I will spend $500 elsewhere then cause no chance I'm cracking into the motor. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I've got a catless headpipe i beat the cat out i bought the 500.00 pipe might be a little better.Might sell the oem with cat out if interested.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm going to decat my headpipe now and ship the scrapped cat to the Obummer/EPA dick suckers in Milwaukee. No engine warranty now so screw HD. It should help it a tad with the TQ cam installed, Ventilator, Eliminator 400's. And my choice of two tuners. Heck might even send a chunk to the new head of the EPA to remind him of his Okie home. It's great having a head of the epa that hates the epa. Harley better hope he doesn't go retroactive on there idiot ***'s.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer

you mentioned you lost your warranty because of the FP3 but how exactly? did they find evidence of a preloaded map in the ECM? trying to figure out how the ECM tracks it.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

So what happens when you go buy a new bike and the dealer installs new catless exhaust, breather and FP3 before you even leave the lot. Since they are doing this and flashing the bike, is the warranty gone? Asking for a friend obviously.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FP3 brought me back to life!!