Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer selling new bike with Aftermarket catless exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:19 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

$tonecold: No! It has nothing to do at all with your doing your own service. It has to do with any changes to any component related to emissions.

As always just keep records on your service.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:22 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
So according to what you are saying here, you can have a bone stock 2017 HD and if you do your own services (oil changes) they can deny your warranty? The MOCO may have paid out $15M, but the dealers will more than recoup that in shop fees for oil changes.
That's not the decree. If you install non EPA compliant components, it voids the warranty, and m-m does not apply to non EPA compliant modifications.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:13 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

It's illegal to sell a new motorcycle with non-EPA certified compliant exhaust and tuners on it. A franchised dealer is opening itself up to all kinds of trouble and fines in doing so. Big mistake on their part.

Harley Davidson paid a $ 12 million fines in August of last year and is ponying up another $ 3 mil in addition to that as settlement. Read about it on the EPA website:

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/har...ys-motorcycles

Last edited by drcollie; 04-23-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:20 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
It's illegal to sell a new motorcycle with non-EPA certified compliant exhaust and tuners on it. A franchised dealer is opening itself up to all kinds of trouble and fines in doing so. Big mistake on their part.

Harley Davidson paid a $ 12 million fines in August of last year and is ponying up another $ 3 mil in addition to that as settlement. Read about it on the EPA website:

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/har...ys-motorcycles
Sorta correct. they cannot modify a new model and sell that as a new model after its been modified. But they sure as hell can sell a modified trade in model which is what this sounds like. HD has no control over traded in models. The only issue they would have is if they misrepresented the state of the warranty on a used machine.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:14 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

There's some confusion in this thread. There are 2 issues being mixed.
1) the install of a non-EPA exhaust. The non-approved exhaust has nothing to do with warranty claims. It has been illegal to "tamper with the exhaust" since the 70's when the Clean Air Act was passed. Yes fines could be levied by the EPA but they have never been applied to a motorcycle exhaust manufacturer let alone the owner of a bike. If eliminating aftermarket motorcycle exhaust systems mattered to the EPA they could have shut them down any time over the past 4 decades. They haven't. The aftermarket exhaust has no impact on your HD warranty.

2) Aftermarket tuner. Now this is a new issue as of August 2016. In the 4yr Consent Decree between the EPA and HD, the MoCo agreed to deny warranty claims for drivetrain failures (non drivetrain claims are not impacted) if HD has "information" that a non EPA or CARB approved tuner was used on the bike. This contract with the EPA expires Aug 2020.

If this bike has a non-EPA approved exhaust but was tuned with the HD Pro-Street tuner (or no tuner at all), then HD will be compliant with the Consent Decree (all warranty claims can be honored). The bike will be out of compliance with a 1970's law that no one, including the EPA, has ever enforced on motorcycles.

The only issue I see is dependent on your State's motorcycle inspection procedure if they check for epa-approved exhaust on a motorcycle. You might fail inspection, however I've never heard of a State inspection code that checks motorcycle exhaust.

Last edited by Heatwave; 04-24-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 AM
BlkHillsBagger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
I stopped at a local Harley Dealer yesterday. A salesman showed me a "customized" (his word) new '17 RGS. It had a total Rinehart 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust system on it. I asked about the warranty since the system obviously lacked the cat...
Maybe I missed it elsewhere in the thread, but exactly what dealer is this? Thanks.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,784 Likes on 18,560 Posts

deleted

Old 04-24-2017, 08:54 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,784 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-Mike
I said nothing to the contrary and this isn't a thread about morality, what's your point?
I said nothing to the contrary and this isn't a thread about morality, what's your point?

Lighten up Alice and re-read ... Morality? ... Was never brought up. Legality was referenced so as to inform the OP that he might want to consider it. Do you fell better now?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:08 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkHillsBagger
Maybe I missed it elsewhere in the thread, but exactly what dealer is this? Thanks.
Since we all know that this forum is monitored by Harley Davidson and possibly the E.P.A. and maybe the Russians, I won't mention the dealers name here. I just thought it was remarkable that that new bike had a replacement exhaust system sans cat. I'm not a snitch. I was curious if this could in some way be done without affecting future warranty claims.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:30 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,080 Likes on 3,323 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
Since we all know that this forum is monitored by Harley Davidson and possibly the E.P.A. and maybe the Russians, I won't mention the dealers name here. I just thought it was remarkable that that new bike had a replacement exhaust system sans cat. I'm not a snitch. I was curious if this could in some way be done without affecting future warranty claims.
" and maybe the Russians"... These days ya just don't know,LOL !

Quick Reply: Dealer selling new bike with Aftermarket catless exhaust