Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

And don't decat the headpipe and put nitrous on it, oh yeah, and stay in school and don't do drugs. Webb out

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 PM
grande78
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was told and put on my contract when i got my SGS that i had 5 years of total coverage . she put on the contract that it ends in 2021 with the extra 3 years of EPS

Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,079 Likes on 3,322 Posts

Originally Posted by grande78
i was told and put on my contract when i got my SGS that i had 5 years of total coverage . she put on the contract that it ends in 2021 with the extra 3 years of EPS
so then you paid for five years of ESP coverage yes?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

If you want to consider another alternative, check out Cornerstone ESP. Much less expensive with great coverage and no $50 deductible. I got their 7 year (2 yr factory + 5yrs) with wheel and tire for all 7yrs for about $1500 on a CVO.

http://www.discountesp.com/esc

Old 04-26-2017, 12:54 PM
grande78
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope i had them throw it in or i would not get the bike . i had agreed on a price of the bike then i asked about the extended warranty at 1st they said they could only do that part when i would go into the finance office to sign the contract i told them nope here or nothing . also they sales guy forgot about the extra grand i told him i would put down if they agreed to it .

Originally Posted by stixvrad
so then you paid for five years of ESP coverage yes?

Old 04-26-2017, 02:41 PM
canuck_flhtk
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Ok, so at my 1K service I inquired about paying to extend the warranty from 2 years to 5 years, so paying for an extra 3 years. I was told that I had to do that at the end of the two year manufacture warranty. Otherwise, doing it now would mean I would eat up two of the 3 additional years I paid for, with the first two years of the manufactures warranty.
I'm fine with that IF the guy at the dealer is correct..The last thing I want is to go in there at 2 years, and find out I had to buy the additional warranty when the bike was new,as in NOW.
not understanding why this dealer is making things so complicated. in my deal, at purchase, ESP was always in the deal as i priced out various mods. kept asking him to remove it...it was like i was stuck in the movie Fargo because he kept including it in the price. at the end of the day, it was another CDN$ 1,500 so i gave in. 5 years, unlimited mileage, plus the other ESP benefits as well as transferable if i sell the bike.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 PM
25-06
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a bit off-topic, but I find it keenly interesting that the only time I was ever offered an extended warranty by any HD dealer on a new model year bike, was when it was financed. If I paid cash for it, there wasn't a word spoken edgewise about it. Can't say as I fully understand their game plan (i'm sure its sufficiently devious), but it must have something to do with sales commissions or the way they generally fleece people for the cost of the extended warranty through the in-house and external financing processes. Perplexing, and it hurts my hair to think about it, but admittedly, I have no clue? ;-)

Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 25-06
This is a bit off-topic, but I find it keenly interesting that the only time I was ever offered an extended warranty by any HD dealer on a new model year bike, was when it was financed. If I paid cash for it, there wasn't a word spoken edgewise about it. Can't say as I fully understand their game plan (i'm sure its sufficiently devious), but it must have something to do with sales commissions or the way they generally fleece people for the cost of the extended warranty through the in-house and external financing processes. Perplexing, and it hurts my hair to think about it, but admittedly, I have no clue? ;-)
I paid cash for mine and was offered the extended warranty, tire and wheel protection, paint protection, and special admission to the vip club at the dealer. For those that are not aware, you can negotiate the price of these things as well as the bike. I turned down all of the above only to later agree on 5yrs extended (2yr factory + 3yrs). Got it at a reduced rate and am happy. Quite a bit of markup in each of these items, shop and buy wisely..........

Eagle Out

Old 04-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

It's all about the money. The extended warranty covers things the factory warranty doesn't like paint and wheels as mentioned earlier. You can get an extended warranty on ANY Harley that is less than 12 years old from the build date not model year and less than 75000 miles. As far as cost goes I have had it on my previous bikes and the service bills paid far exceeded the cost of the money paid. In my case anyways.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:07 PM
25-06
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
I paid cash for mine and was offered the extended warranty, tire and wheel protection, paint protection, and special admission to the vip club at the dealer. For those that are not aware, you can negotiate the price of these things as well as the bike. I turned down all of the above only to later agree on 5yrs extended (2yr factory + 3yrs). Got it at a reduced rate and am happy. Quite a bit of markup in each of these items, shop and buy wisely..........

Eagle Out
That's just fascinating. I've made three cash purchases of new bikes in the past 14-years, at two different dealerships, in two different states and never once been offered an extended warranty. Didn't and don't want it or need it, but given their huge profit margins on those things, you just have to wonder why? No faith in their own product maybe? Who knows!

Quick Reply: Extended warranty