Sponsored by:

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:11 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts
Default Extended warranty

Ok, so at my 1K service I inquired about paying to extend the warranty from 2 years to 5 years, so paying for an extra 3 years. I was told that I had to do that at the end of the two year manufacture warranty. Otherwise, doing it now would mean I would eat up two of the 3 additional years I paid for, with the first two years of the manufactures warranty.
I'm fine with that IF the guy at the dealer is correct..The last thing I want is to go in there at 2 years, and find out I had to buy the additional warranty when the bike was new,as in NOW.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:23 PM
Zortster99
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you got bad info. From my experience in the last month, you can purchase the additional warranty at any time. The longer you wait, the more the price might go up. I was told that the extended warranty actually covers more than the base warranty. I think I paid under $2K for full warranty for 5 years.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:28 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zortster99
It sounds like you got bad info. From my experience in the last month, you can purchase the additional warranty at any time. The longer you wait, the more the price might go up. I was told that the extended warranty actually covers more than the base warranty. I think I paid under $2K for full warranty for 5 years.
I purchased the bike new ( 2017 RK) in Nov 2016 so I have around 20 months of the standard warranty left.. So your saying you paid for the extened warranty when you picked your bike up new? Not in the last month of the 2 year factory warranty?

Last edited by stixvrad; 04-25-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:34 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

here's my understanding

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-25-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

if you purchase the ESP after 30 days or 2000 miles of bike purchase it cost more. you can add addt'l years to your factory 2 year warranty which begin upon factory warranty expiration, however, the extra benefits of the ESP are effective upon purchase of ESP..the 30 day caveat may have some implications in that but not sure..you can purchase it before the factory warranty expires and afterwards as well at addt'l cost and some limitations come into play..those Finance doughballs oughta' be able to spell it out in comprehensive terms

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-25-2017 at 02:41 PM.
stixvrad (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:42 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
here's my understanding..if you purchase the ESP after 30 days of bike purchase it cost more. you can add addt'l years to your factory 2 year warranty which begin upon factory warranty expiration, however, the extra benefits of the ESP are effective upon purchase of ESP..the 30 day caveat may have some implications in that but nort sure
Sounds close to what the ( very fumbling) guy at he dealer said. What *****s me off is, when I picked the bike up in Nov, they said I could wait till the 1K service to buy the ESP. Which I attempted to do at the 1K service and the same fumbling guy told me he had to rate it as a used bike now, BUT there was no point because the factory warranty would eat up the first two of the extra three years. I think I need to call another dealer and find a sharper crayon to talk to.

The following 2 users liked this post by stixvrad:
boston jim (04-26-2017), mjwebb (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Dealer was correct but he/she just didn't explain it properly. Yes it's cheaper to get it now, and yes it's really not an extra 3 years you get. There is an "overlap of coverage" that turns your first two years into a more extensive coverage plan, as opposed to the regular factory two year, unlimited miles warranty. This option is only available if you purchase the ESP early while the bike is still considered "new." Depending on what type of coverage you are paying for, your extended warranty, in this case your ESP would probably expire at the end of 2020 or early 2021. Ask them for details of coverage. Mine expires on Nov 2020.

stixvrad (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 03:39 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
Dealer was correct but he/she just didn't explain it properly. Yes it's cheaper to get it now, and yes it's really not an extra 3 years you get. There is an "overlap of coverage" that turns your first two years into a more extensive coverage plan, as opposed to the regular factory two year, unlimited miles warranty. This option is only available if you purchase the ESP early while the bike is still considered "new." Depending on what type of coverage you are paying for, your extended warranty, in this case your ESP would probably expire at the end of 2020 or early 2021. Ask them for details of coverage. Mine expires on Nov 2020.
Yeah, just got off the phone with HD NA and both you guys are right and yes, the F&I guy really didnt explain too well.. The ESP covers more and runs concurrent with the factory 2 yr. If I purchased 3 yrs of ESP, its over one year after the factory runs out ( 3 year out). In my case all I want is to extend the factory warranty three more years ( total of 5) but that's only possible with the ESP. 5 years right now is way out of line in terms of $$$ so I may go with 3 years ESP at the end of my 2 year factory coverage.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:50 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Make sure you renew it before your other coverage expires. It is my understanding that if your existing coverage expires before you purchase the ESP, then your dealer will charge you to inspect and possibly service your scoot, before adding the ESP to ensure there is nothing wrong with your bike. At least that is how my service guys explained it to me.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Zortster99
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
I purchased the bike new ( 2017 RK) in Nov 2016 so I have around 20 months of the standard warranty left.. So your saying you paid for the extened warranty when you picked your bike up new? Not in the last month of the 2 year factory warranty?
Yes, that is correct.
(I think you already got your answer but didnt want to not respond!)

Quick Reply: Extended warranty