Sponsored by:

New M8 Blown

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
More experts, rods are blue like that on a brand new crank, nothing like bringing up an old thread to fuel the fire!
but if u look close son......the crank is even blued. Lmao. That's just a big a SS Dyno failure . Had to clean up a Dyno cell from a couple bangs. Lol. No xpert just think that ones funny as he ll

Old 09-06-2018, 03:50 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
a shoe salesman would outdo any moco "engineer" any day, any time. Said salesman probably makes more money selling shoes than those hacks at the moco get paid, too, assuming that both parties are being paid amounts commensurate with what their services (and respective intelligence/abilities) are actually worth.

I'm with you. I'm stickin' with my essentially un-modded '15 limited. Zero interest in the m8's, now or ever.
lmfao.....who gives a fly f what u think.....go back to the twink forum. Silly boy!!

Old 09-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I'm looking at the pics of that blown M8 and wondering just what sequence of events had to take place for this to happen?

If the balancer did strike the crank, that would require the balancer, which is positioned based on the casting of the crankcase, to physically skip teeth on the gear drive. To do this the axis of the balancer would have to physically move further away from the axis of the crankshaft twice the depth of the teeth (unless teeth sheared off).

Seems like some hefty beating took place on that motor. I can't really fault HD designs for this failure. Sumping and oil transfer, yea, they'll burn in hell for those, but not this.
What I think may have happened is this,,, see that bearing sitting in the broke off part of the case? It had a plastic cage in it, the cage melted or broke some kind of way, the rollers piled up together letting the balance shaft move off center either hitting something or causing it to jump teeth.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

I'm looking at the pics of that blown M8 and wondering just what sequence of events had to take place for this to happen?

If the balancer did strike the crank, that would require the balancer, which is positioned based on the casting of the crankcase, to physically skip teeth on the gear drive. To do this the axis of the balancer would have to physically move further away from the axis of the crankshaft twice the depth of the teeth (unless teeth sheared off).

Seems like some hefty beating took place on that motor. I can't really fault HD designs for this failure. Sumping and oil transfer, yea, they'll burn in hell for those, but not this.
More than likely one of the balancer gears spun.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

That one has maxed out dyno run dump all over it, my guess it the case wall around one of the balancer bearings gave out and rest was smoke and a loud rude noise.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:45 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103

I just love all the expert engineers on here

Old 09-07-2018, 01:21 AM
skeeter86
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn hope blew sitting in the garage. If not and you were riding harley will find a reason to void the warrinty. Hell they will void a warrinty for changing your own oil!

Old 09-07-2018, 08:08 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
There have been issues with TC counter balancers. Balance gear moves on the shaft. Bike vibrates.This happens a lot. Stab the rear brake while rolling down the road to the point you stall the engine and you damage the balancer mechanism. Balancer tensioner shoes wear out. Some chains have snapped,

At least with the M8 balancer if the balancer goes out of time, you know where the issue is..

Placing the balancer close enough for the issue to happen can catastrophic if this issue happens but from design point of view you want the axis of the balancer close as possible to the axis of the crank to get the best counter balance. The 2 opposing one are good but they take up space. Everyone complains about how heavy these turds are.

I think the guys complaining should go back too selling shoes.
Oh, OK.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense - to me, anyway. I'd been thinking for all these years that the MoCo had actually come out with a new design that just worked to begin with and without issues.

Silly me...

Thanks for the info,

JP

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-07-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

Oh, OK.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense - to me, anyway. I'd been thinking for all these years that the MoCo had actually come out with a new design that just worked to begin with and without issues.

Silly me...

Thanks for the info,

JP
What a ****ing whiner

Old 09-07-2018, 12:51 PM
sidthafish
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, OK.

Silly me...

Thanks for the info,

JP