Sponsored by:

Difference between 2017 EG Classic & Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:27 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Difference between 2017 EG Classic & Limited

A friend just picked up a new Electra Glide, I thought he had told me that he told me that he was trading in for a new Limited, cause we had talked about how I like the heated grips on my 2010 Limited. So, when I rode yesterday for the first time with him on his new bike, not wanting to come across as negative, with too many question, trying to keep everything positive. I noticed that his new bike did not have a tour pack luggage rack, did not have radiators (water cooled heads). It did have a 6 inch navigation screen, but it had a flat black inner fairing. I thought that the new Limited's had a luggage rack and a color matching painted inner fairing and water cooled heads. So, what did he buy, a Classic with a up graded 6 inch screen. And then why wouldn't the Classics have water cooling?

Old 04-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

since Rushmore was introduced, the Classic is not liquid cool. Some people still like to ride ol' school air cool engine. Although, the heads of the 17 Classic is oil cooled.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:27 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
A friend just picked up a new Electra Glide, I thought he had told me that he told me that he was trading in for a new Limited, cause we had talked about how I like the heated grips on my 2010 Limited. So, when I rode yesterday for the first time with him on his new bike, not wanting to come across as negative, with too many question, trying to keep everything positive. I noticed that his new bike did not have a tour pack luggage rack, did not have radiators (water cooled heads). It did have a 6 inch navigation screen, but it had a flat black inner fairing. I thought that the new Limited's had a luggage rack and a color matching painted inner fairing and water cooled heads. So, what did he buy, a Classic with a up graded 6 inch screen. And then why wouldn't the Classics have water cooling?
Hey may have gotten the names crossed. I have a limited. Luggage rack, radiators, and the inner fairing is gloss black --not color matched to the bike. I took my heated grips off----for me, they were usable for a window of about upper 40s-50s......and that window isn't that big during my riding season. So...fall gloves works for me all the way till it times to actually put on heated gloves (30s). I wanted matching grips to my floor boards, etc and they didn't come heated

Old 04-26-2017, 03:04 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

So, the new Limited's are wet heads, and my friends new ride with vented hard lowers (and No Radiators) would then be a EG Classic then?
So, looking at the HD website the Limited's base prices is about $2850 more than a Classic's base price, what more comes with the Limited's other than the Luggage rack, Heated Grips, chrome wheels, and the 6 inch screen to justify that 2850?
Do the wet heads run noticeably cooler than the non water cooled 107's?

Sfcmo357, I think I got frostbite delivering newspapers up in Canton Ohio as a boy, now living in northern Florida I don't use my heated grips much, but every winter they do get used a few times. I like em, If you don't want yours, I'll take em off your hands for spares or for my next bike.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 04-28-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:45 PM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

The link below can let you know the difference

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...ml#2015-FLHTCU

Main differences are the Limited gets:
Gloss Inner fairing
Twin Cooling
Contrast chrome wheels
Boom 6.5 standard
CB/Bike to Bike
TP Luggage rack
Heated Grips
Security is standard.

There's more than $2,850 (the price difference between the Classic and the Limited) listed above.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:23 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetlu
The link below can let you know the difference

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...ml#2015-FLHTCU

Main differences are the Limited gets:
Gloss Inner fairing
Twin Cooling
Contrast chrome wheels
Boom 6.5 standard
CB/Bike to Bike
TP Luggage rack
Heated Grips
Security is standard.

There's more than $2,850 (the price difference between the Classic and the Limited) listed above.
CB deleted for 2017. The Limited still has the front fender tip light which the Ultra got deleted for 2017.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:17 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

Thanks all, that kind of clarifies a lot, but one question still remains unanswered.
Is the water cooled M8 motor noticeably cooler (temperature wise, not looks wise) than the air cooled M8 motor for the rider.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:41 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Thanks all, that kind of clarifies a lot, but one question still remains unanswered.
Is the water cooled M8 motor noticeably cooler (temperature wise, not looks wise) than the air cooled M8 motor for the rider.
The M8's that do not have the Heads that run coolant, run oil . A different approach. Oil is pumped through passages in the head to help with cooling.
Both systems work . The Coolant with radiators does a better job. Some just don't want them.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Both effectively cool the engine but the Twin-cooled works to cool the engine even when the bike isn't moving. The coolant pump is continuous and the lower fairing fans kick on at 191 degrees blowing air out the sides away from the rider when stopped or moving at slow speeds

There is an oil cooler fan for bikes without twin-cooling that works on similar principles by blowing air through the oil cooler and under the bike but its an add-on accessory and probably not as effective when stopped as the twin-cool system.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:21 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by smitty901
The M8's that do not have the Heads that run coolant, run oil . A different approach. Oil is pumped through passages in the head to help with cooling.
Both systems work . The Coolant with radiators does a better job. Some just don't want them.
If both bike have a 5 quarts of engine oil capacity, the oil lubricating and cooling numbers would be identical, and then I would think that the water cooled bike having additional water cooling passages the heads would be running cooler at least in the cylinder head areas, but the question is, by how much, in degrees, and is it really noticeable when it's 95 degrees out.
The Love Jugs cooling fan company advertises that there fans lower cylinder head temps by 100 degree. Measured with a infrared gun. So, how many degrees do the radiators with the water lower the cylinder head temps than compared to the non water cooled M8's engines?

Last edited by jamesroadking; 04-28-2017 at 06:23 AM.