Sponsored by:

Check oil indicator on Boom bike status screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:46 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Check oil indicator on Boom bike status screen

Proud owner of a 2017 CVO Street Glide. It was one of those love at first sight buys. I have around 800 miles on her now, enjoying every mile rode. Traded up from a 2014 Street Glide Special. I'm very happy with my purchase to say the least.

Even though this is my first forum post, I've been keeping up here and there. Well I finally ran across a question and thought it was time to sign up and ask for some help outside of what I've already asked my dealer.

When riding my 2014, I occasional hit the info button for the "boom" bike status (the button on the back of the right turn signal) to see the air temp around me. Always saw the oil pressure, but never paid much attention. Now on the 2017, I see it still has air temp but they've replace the oil pressure with "OK". Not what I would call a feature enhancement by any means.

Finally for my question to the forum.

Riding down the road, if I hit the info button I occasionally see "check oil" for a split second, then "OK". The oil light in the speedo has never came on and the bike is running perfect. The bike intermittently does this, so of course the dealer couldn't repeat it. It's always only for a split second and only when I first hit the info button. The temp seem to jump too, so I am wondering if it's some sort of lag or previously captured values (both air temp and check oil).

Anyone see this before? Normal?

Old 04-28-2017, 04:56 AM
Johnny!
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
Proud owner of a 2017 CVO Street Glide. It was one of those love at first sight buys. I have around 800 miles on her now, enjoying every mile rode. Traded up from a 2014 Street Glide Special. I'm very happy with my purchase to say the least.

Even though this is my first forum post, I've been keeping up here and there. Well I finally ran across a question and thought it was time to sign up and ask for some help outside of what I've already asked my dealer.

When riding my 2014, I occasional hit the info button for the "boom" bike status (the button on the back of the right turn signal) to see the air temp around me. Always saw the oil pressure, but never paid much attention. Now on the 2017, I see it still has air temp but they've replace the oil pressure with "OK". Not what I would call a feature enhancement by any means.

Finally for my question to the forum.

Riding down the road, if I hit the info button I occasionally see "check oil" for a split second, then "OK". The oil light in the speedo has never came on and the bike is running perfect. The bike intermittently does this, so of course the dealer couldn't repeat it. It's always only for a split second and only when I first hit the info button. The temp seem to jump too, so I am wondering if it's some sort of lag or previously captured values (both air temp and check oil).

Anyone see this before? Normal?
I hit that info button way more than I should and have only seen my air temp lag from garage to colder outside temps, my oil always says ok while running.
2017 Ultra Classic

The following users liked this post:
Hammerhead59 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 06:30 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Johnny!
I hit that info button way more than I should and have only seen my air temp lag from garage to colder outside temps, my oil always says ok while running.
2017 Ultra Classic
I've hit the button several times after, but it seems it's only that initial press of the button that I get a split second "Check Oil".

Old 04-28-2017, 06:36 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Not sure if this makes sense. When you hit the switch the first time it seems the information has to update. When I pullout this morning it will show 33 degrees if I hit the switch again it will refresh and show closer to real temp of 34-35.
The oil pretty much always shows OK. But when the bike was store for winter it show check oil when i started it. soon as i hit the switch again it showed ok.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:42 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
I've hit the button several times after, but it seems it's only that initial press of the button that I get a split second "Check Oil".
Mine does same thing. Usually only on 1st info check. It'll flash check oil for a split sec then on to OK. Anymore info status checks on same ride it reads OK right away

Old 04-28-2017, 07:06 AM
Hephaestus
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Mine will occasionally show check oil the first time I push the info button when the bike is cold for just a split second like yours op. The oil light never comes on

Old 04-28-2017, 07:43 AM
Hammerhead59
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine reads it for a second and then it's fine..

Old 04-28-2017, 07:46 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser

Sounds like I am good. Thank you to everyone!

Old 04-28-2017, 01:35 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Not sure if this makes sense. When you hit the switch the first time it seems the information has to update. When I pullout this morning it will show 33 degrees if I hit the switch again it will refresh and show closer to real temp of 34-35.
The oil pretty much always shows OK. But when the bike was store for winter it show check oil when i started it. soon as i hit the switch again it showed ok.

Yup. It doesn't automatically update in the background. It shows what was on it last time you checked it for a second while it's updating. Perfectly normal. Poo poo technology, but normal.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Yup. It doesn't automatically update in the background. It shows what was on it last time you checked it for a second while it's updating. Perfectly normal. Poo poo technology, but normal.
Thanks SWThomas, and thanks hdforums for a place to reach out.

Quick Reply: Check oil indicator on Boom bike status screen