Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want my Bike to rd and I would even like to be felt coming up

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:48 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

You can't have it both ways, you can pick loud and thunderous, or quieter and manageable. I had a set of these on my 2004 Road King, and they were exactly what you are seeking:

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/lsr21.htm

I took them off after 6 months, they were making me deaf on any ride over 45 minutes. Then I went to Reinhardt's on the Road King and found them a nice balance.

You can try a SuperTrapp, where you can adjust the tone by adding or subtracting discs into the baffles.

http://supertrapp.com/technology/index.asp

Now, thirteen years after that Road King, I'm running V&H slip-ons on my '17 RGS, because I'm all done with wanting thunder and would rather hear the radio <g>

The following users liked this post:
SS Twin (05-01-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 10:56 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I have a set of Eliminator 400's on my M8 King with a Ventilator and the HD TQ cam. Lost the engine warranty over a FP3. Now I'm going to get the cat out of the head pipe and let it breath and rumble.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:06 PM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe I should just go Stage II Cam, Ventilator A/C , Street Tune for now and then if all is well after the first 18 months of ownership (for warranty purposes) Head Pipe and Powervision Tuner for the extra sound and betting my bike should be trouble free. though I do understand there is always some risk of losing 6 mo. remaining warranty.. oh well

I didn't include this first round.. but the sound and hear me coming is more for safety than anything.

I just pulled up to my office and our Planning and Permitting lady is up here getting some stuff done.. I asked her if she heard me pull up ... she said oh hey I heard something outside but thought it was Lora in her Mustang what a crummy thing to hear... Stock GT

That tells me 2 things.. 1. this thing just doesn't sound like a Harley with a set of slip ons only and 2. It just isn't loud enough where I feel people driving cars can even hear me.. especially ones paying attention to their phones or blasting music

Old 04-29-2017, 12:59 PM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FunnelCake Combo
Maybe I should just go Stage II Cam, Ventilator A/C , Street Tune for now and then if all is well after the first 18 months of ownership (for warranty purposes) Head Pipe and Powervision Tuner for the extra sound and betting my bike should be trouble free. though I do understand there is always some risk of losing 6 mo. remaining warranty.. oh well

I didn't include this first round.. but the sound and hear me coming is more for safety than anything.

I just pulled up to my office and our Planning and Permitting lady is up here getting some stuff done.. I asked her if she heard me pull up ... she said oh hey I heard something outside but thought it was Lora in her Mustang what a crummy thing to hear... Stock GT

That tells me 2 things.. 1. this thing just doesn't sound like a Harley with a set of slip ons only and 2. It just isn't loud enough where I feel people driving cars can even hear me.. especially ones paying attention to their phones or blasting music
So now you're sounding a bit like a fickle teen aged girl... maybe I should do all of this and wait on the sound, but then someone didn't hear you and that's a safety issue and it's important.

I'm joking of course and not criticizing, but I do think you need to sit and give some serious thought about what your priorities are, and they're yours to set. Personally, if I placed increasing sound volume into a safety category, that would be my priority. If performance (say increased torque and HP) is also in a safety category because you always ride 2 up and need that to stay safe moving into or out of traffic, then you have divided priorities. If the latter is not safety and instead it's just on a wish list, I think the decision is an easy one.

I'll just add this. Sound is directly affected by your decisions on what you're going to do with your head pipe. What you do with your head pipe will directly affect what you subsequently do for any performance mods. So, either way, the head pipe is/will be an issue to look at. How you prioritize addressing it, in correlation to your concerns about warranty issues, is the question. Either way, I wish you good luck. My exhaust (pipes & slip-ons), A/C and tune set me back $1,200. I'm quite happy with that.

Last edited by xnysgt; 04-29-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:19 PM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer

Ha! Yeah I re-read my post and should have put all concerns and priorities into one.. I guess I was just most concerned with feed back on the sound as I'm sure while safety is very important to me.. feed back would not be focused on that from others.

I am doing all cosmetic upgrades at the moment to make it mine.

Sound is a top concern for Safety and I would also like to make my Bike sound more like a Harley.. Nothing obnoxious but definitely louder here comes a Harley sound.

Power is important too a degree. I like the lopey sound of the cam and the additional torque would be nice especially while having my wife ride 2 up.. she's pretty light 117lbs.. but its still additional weight so the torque cam would help with that.

I go back and forth if I should just go Wood Cam, Air Cleaner, Power vision tune and Head pipes and Say F the warranty or if I should play It safe and just pull the trigger on the SE Torque Cam, Air Cleaner and SE Tuner.. I just don't know if I will get the sound I am looking for but I would get the extra power and then once warranty is less of a concern ie: 6 months remaining.. Go Headpipe and Power vision tune change out ..

Just wanted input from those that have already pulled the trigger and what they have noticed.. Your Set up so far has been my favorite on a 107.

Decisions Decsions.

On my way up to Harley to see if there are any Bikes around that have upgrades...

Lucky Bike week is next week in PCB and I will be around for all of it.. so sure I will get to hear some amazing set ups by then

Old 04-29-2017, 01:40 PM
xnysgt
Tourer

Originally Posted by FunnelCake Combo
Ha! Yeah I re-read my post and should have put all concerns and priorities into one.. I guess I was just most concerned with feed back on the sound as I'm sure while safety is very important to me.. feed back would not be focused on that from others.

I am doing all cosmetic upgrades at the moment to make it mine.

Sound is a top concern for Safety and I would also like to make my Bike sound more like a Harley.. Nothing obnoxious but definitely louder here comes a Harley sound.

Power is important too a degree. I like the lopey sound of the cam and the additional torque would be nice especially while having my wife ride 2 up.. she's pretty light 117lbs.. but its still additional weight so the torque cam would help with that.

I go back and forth if I should just go Wood Cam, Air Cleaner, Power vision tune and Head pipes and Say F the warranty or if I should play It safe and just pull the trigger on the SE Torque Cam, Air Cleaner and SE Tuner.. I just don't know if I will get the sound I am looking for but I would get the extra power and then once warranty is less of a concern ie: 6 months remaining.. Go Headpipe and Power vision tune change out ..

Just wanted input from those that have already pulled the trigger and what they have noticed.. Your Set up so far has been my favorite on a 107.

Decisions Decsions.

On my way up to Harley to see if there are any Bikes around that have upgrades...

Lucky Bike week is next week in PCB and I will be around for all of it.. so sure I will get to hear some amazing set ups by then
I get the cosmetic stuff, I'm doing the same thing. For what it's worth, have you spoken with the service guys from your dealer about the mods you're considering? Talk about the new head pipes, slip-ons, A/C, cams, all of it.

I'm not sure how much work you would normally do on your own versus having the dealer do, but a buddy of mine just picked up a RGS a week ago and got the 5 year warranty. So he had that very conversation with his dealer and they're putting on his supplied 2-1 Fat Cat head pipe, slip-on, A/C and they're doing the tune, all of it will be covered by the dealer under warranty should something happen. And all because the dealer did the work. This is a guy that normally does all of his own work.

Just something to consider.

As for my exhaust, A/C and tune, I appreciate your comments of appreciating the sound. So far I'm digging it. I did it all with the understanding that should I experience a catastrophic engine failure, I may be in the weeds.

Your scoot is looking sweet, big, dark and bad *** by the way. I see we have similar tastes with murdering out our bikes.

Last edited by xnysgt; 04-29-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:41 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Your King sounds bad *** !

Old 04-29-2017, 02:05 PM
WmRickert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rippin out the cats will definitely effect the warranty. EPA cracked down hard on Harley last year and anything effecting emissions will void the warranty.

So after having a teen texter cross into my lane I decided on some Big Louie slipons.

I talked to the guys at WestEnd and they say the Basani's are louder but I didn't like the sound.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:08 PM
xnysgt
Tourer

Originally Posted by WmRickert
Rippin out the cats will definitely effect the warranty. EPA cracked down hard on Harley last year and anything effecting emissions will void the warranty.

So after having a teen texter cross into my lane I decided on some Big Louie slipons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_sOw77N6jw

I talked to the guys at WestEnd and they say the Basani's are louder but I didn't like the sound.
I like the tip screws/nuts blowing out and the phone getting blown over.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:55 AM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer

UPDATE
Went by local dealer yesterday to pick up my chopped engine guard.

they had a Stage 1 , Stage 3 and 2 stage 4 bikes.. got to check them all out.

then in the back a customers set up on a Road Glide with the following.. It sounded pretty bad *** so I had them do up a quote for my bike.

Power Vision Tune

Harley Ventilator A/C and Black Defiance Cover

Harley Stage II Torque Cam

Rinehart Black SlimeLine Duals

Dyno Tune

Pricing was a bit crazy though

Pwervision 200
Stage II Cam 390
slimeline dual 630
Dyno Tune 400
Ventilator 135
plus 12hr lbr 1190 quoted 12 hours of labor.

Total with Tax $3,180

Does this seem a bit high or is this reasonable in price?

It's about 700 dollars higher than I was prepared to pay..

Also I went over this set up with 2 service techs and the Service manager.. all 3 said it wont void the warranty with them.. that if an issue came up they would take care of it... did admit some other dealers may not take care of it if an issue came up.

luckily I don't ever ride more than about 2 -3 hours away from home so I could always have it towed back should a problem ever arise.

Quick Reply: I want my Bike to rd and I would even like to be felt coming up