Best AC for M8

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:26 PM
nikkolo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best AC for M8

Hi
which is the "best" AC for our M8 engine ?
I know it is a stupid question... but I'm new in the HD world and I'm still collecting info on AC.
I live in Italy (not so great experience on M8) so I prefer to start from the US and then check if feasible in Italy (also in term of $$$, the prices are very very high).

Thanks a lot for ur support.
Alex

Old 05-07-2017, 03:05 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

The one that came with it.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:16 PM
nikkolo
6th Gear

ok, I tried .... no problem

Old 05-07-2017, 03:19 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,610 Likes on 5,176 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
The one that came with it.
There you go. The stock one will flow all the air you need and then some. Been that way for years. I admit to changing a few but never for air flow reason.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:33 PM
nikkolo
6th Gear

Originally Posted by smitty901
There you go. The stock one will flow all the air you need and then some. Been that way for years. I admit to changing a few but never for air flow reason.
Clear Smitty
it is not for performance reasons... it's only for esthetic

Old 05-07-2017, 06:11 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,610 Likes on 5,176 Posts

Originally Posted by nikkolo
Clear Smitty
it is not for performance reasons... it's only for esthetic
The the Football style touched my leg and bugged me and I really liked the look og the Harley SE heavy breather. Waste of cash just for looks but I like them.
It was a habit to change them did it just because I could until the 103 high out put and the M8 I no longer see a need to change them.
Even for a stage 1 exhaust the stock Ac flow is just fine.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Having done slip ons, AC, then tuner all separately I can say without a doubt the AC made the most improvement on my bike. Numerous dyno videos of the M8 on YouTube showing the AC as the best bang for the buck upgrade. It may be true that the stock AC is adequate but the dyno doesn't lie when it shows the most gains by adding a high flow AC on a stage one bike. Air flow aside, just the ridiculous size of the stock filter worried me, looks like a weed eater filter so not confident on how much dirt/dust that thing is catching after a few thousand miles. Agree or disagree but that is why I changed mine.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:43 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

I changed to the screaming eagle ventilator for the looks only, couldn't stand the big monstrosity that was stock

Old 05-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Island Quest
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Having done slip ons, AC, then tuner all separately I can say without a doubt the AC made the most improvement on my bike. Numerous dyno videos of the M8 on YouTube showing the AC as the best bang for the buck upgrade. It may be true that the stock AC is adequate but the dyno doesn't lie when it shows the most gains by adding a high flow AC on a stage one bike. Air flow aside, just the ridiculous size of the stock filter worried me, looks like a weed eater filter so not confident on how much dirt/dust that thing is catching after a few thousand miles. Agree or disagree but that is why I changed mine.
Agree with you 100%..I noticed a huge difference in just going with a K&N designed for my Stock M8 Airbox..(Don't like loosing the Stock Grate and look)
i did however add some more Filter oil to the Air filter
Even though it comes pre-oiled.
I know I'm a Rookie on this Board.. but not on the Street..I have been riding and wrenching on Harley's longer than I would like admit.Its not a Placebo effect I can assure you..best 60 bucks I ever spent..part #HD-1717 on K&N Website .

Old 05-07-2017, 11:44 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by nikkolo
Hi
which is the "best" AC for our M8 engine ?
I know it is a stupid question... but I'm new in the HD world and I'm still collecting info on AC.
I live in Italy (not so great experience on M8) so I prefer to start from the US and then check if feasible in Italy (also in term of $$$, the prices are very very high).

Thanks a lot for ur support.
Alex
not even going to try and qualify what's the "best" but the SE Hi Flow that utilizes the OEM cover works great for me with my Stage 1 (other than being a mostly open element compared to the OEM and gets dirty quicker)..I just wanted to allow the engine to breather more efficiently overall with less restrictive mufflers and AC

Quick Reply: Best AC for M8