Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:25 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Just went and checked mine. 2k miles ago, I had the 1k service and the 117 kit installed. Bike hasn't moved in 2 weeks because I have been on travel. Fluid level is right at the full line. Bike was built 08/16. I don't baby it and use my preferred method for break-in instead of HD's. Syn 3 in all 3 holes. I do still change all 3 fluids every 3k miles because it gets hot here and is a dusty farm community.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by fwj
Talked to my dealer yesterday and he assumes that the fix is the diameter of the bore in the mainshaft. We will see when the new tranny has arrived.
Oh man! Can you see them having to recall 125,000 M8 bikes to replace the transmission main shaft?? Maybe they can just come up with something like an O ring or soft rubber washer...if that turns out to be the problem. I would imagine that they are starting to finish up with the 2017 production in the next month or six weeks, so they sure don't want to start putting out 2018 bikes with the same problem.I wonder if they are passing around the bottle of Imodium in the engineering room?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Oh man! Can you see them having to recall 125,000 M8 bikes to replace the transmission main shaft?? Maybe they can just come up with something like an O ring or soft rubber washer...if that turns out to be the problem. I would imagine that they are starting to finish up with the 2017 production in the next month or six weeks, so they sure don't want to start putting out 2018 bikes with the same problem.I wonder if they are passing around the bottle of Imodium in the engineering room?
I doubt that it's a big enough of a problem to be a recall. At best, maybe a TSB.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:40 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by cmashark
I doubt that it's a big enough of a problem to be a recall. At best, maybe a TSB.
It's mostly on the earlier builds I think, my friend talked to a HD rep from Milwaukee and he's saying the same thing that it's the main shaft or the clutch rod. Smith Brothers had to replace a Roadking before the 1000 mile service, couldn't keep gear lube in it. There also say'n that it's mostly loosing the oil while the bikes are at a higher rpm's like on a dyno for some reason.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:23 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
There also say'n that it's mostly loosing the oil while the bikes are at a higher rpm's like on a dyno for some reason.
As earlier posted by a few, I think everyone agrees it's happened more on bikes that are running at a higher RPM/Load. Rather that be a dyno or riding conditions.

The question is, how many M8 owners are going to be happy riding a bike where they feel.. am I riding it too hard?... was that last hill that I zipped up pushing it too much? Leading to constant monitoring of all fluid levels, waiting from the problem to show up (in some cases) or come back (in other cases).

I bought this bike for enjoyment and stress relief. IMO, this isn't something you can just relax and forget about. HD needs to be on this. Customer aren't going to let this one go.

Last edited by Macrunner; 06-23-2017 at 07:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Macrunner:
FM500 (06-23-2017), mjwebb (06-23-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 11:47 AM
jcarruth
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

After reading all of this, I figured I would check mine. I did not even check it with the dip stick when I did the 1,000 mile service. I just drained and added 28 oz of Redline. 3,000 miles later the level cold is at the "add" mark. I added 2 whole ounces, guess what, it is now just above the "full" line. Not a very big difference between the two IMHO. I am not going to worry about it.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:52 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

If the pushrod is the villain here, would something like this work to correct it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_seal

Old 06-24-2017, 07:45 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
It's mostly on the earlier builds I think, my friend talked to a HD rep from Milwaukee and he's saying the same thing that it's the main shaft or the clutch rod. Smith Brothers had to replace a Roadking before the 1000 mile service, couldn't keep gear lube in it. There also say'n that it's mostly loosing the oil while the bikes are at a higher rpm's like on a dyno for some reason.
Sorry but I beg to differ, mine was produced 12/16. Put on 250 miles today, checked trans b4 and after. Down at least 2 oz.....from middle of the stick to below the add mark!

Have a friend with a dual cooled, had his 1k done, 800 miles later, he had no trans lube on the stick. Dealer picked up the bike, said they must have messed up on 1k checkup. They topped if off and sent him on his way. They did not bother to check in the primary...............

Eagle Out

Old 06-24-2017, 11:55 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,080 Likes on 1,262 Posts

New Tranny showed up at the Dealer today. Promised me I'd have it back under my butt for the Hollister Rally and a trip to the coast next weekend. When I pick it up I'll try to get as much info as I can from them about what MoCo has to say about all this. I'm curious as hell what they think...... don't know if they'll tell me anything, but I'm a gonna ask!

The following 4 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
103Eagle (06-26-2017), FM500 (06-25-2017), lp (06-24-2017), mjwebb (06-24-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 12:00 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
New Tranny showed up at the Dealer today. Promised me I'd have it back under my butt for the Hollister Rally and a trip to the coast next weekend. When I pick it up I'll try to get as much info as I can from them about what MoCo has to say about all this. I'm curious as hell what they think...... don't know if they'll tell me anything, but I'm a gonna ask!
be nice to hear your results after some hard riding, thanks for the update

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?