Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 05:17 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,535 Likes on 4,429 Posts

Originally Posted by yzernie
Just got a 19 RGU. Other than checking the gear oil level regularly is there anything else or other symptoms I need to keep an eye and ear out for?
congrats, gorgeous bike! nah, just ride it and maintain it and enjoy it and don't read about problems or you risk becoming preoccupied with looking for them and starting to think you have them...it'll let you know if something does go wrong

Old 03-22-2019, 11:02 PM
yzernie
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
congrats, gorgeous bike! nah, just ride it and maintain it and enjoy it and don't read about problems or you risk becoming preoccupied with looking for them and starting to think you have them...it'll let you know if something does go wrong
That's all fine and dandy except I use a touring bike for its intended purposes and rack up 25k+ miles a year. Some of my travel days are 600-700 miles. Having to check the trans oil at every gas stop is just stupid. And what happens when half way through a 600-700 mile day when I have had to add oil to the trans 2 or 3 times and the primary is way overfilled? Am I expected to have to find a dealer or two every day to drain the primary? That's even more f'n ridiculous.

I had my 110 CVO explode a lifter in the middle of BFE in Mojave Desert in California. Sitting along the highway for 4 1/2 hours waiting for the tow was a lot of fun. I do not want to have to go through that again.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:14 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

That's all fine and dandy except I use a touring bike for its intended purposes and rack up 25k+ miles a year. Some of my travel days are 600-700 miles. Having to check the trans oil at every gas stop is just stupid. And what happens when half way through a 600-700 mile day when I have had to add oil to the trans 2 or 3 times and the primary is way overfilled? Am I expected to have to find a dealer or two every day to drain the primary? That's even more f'n ridiculous.

I had my 110 CVO explode a lifter in the middle of BFE in Mojave Desert in California. Sitting along the highway for 4 1/2 hours waiting for the tow was a lot of fun. I do not want to have to go through that again.
you just got a brand new 2019 RGU...dude, chill, stop being so paranoid..I do a lot of the same type riding, early M8 adopter..after over 30,000 miles your stated worries have been a non issue for me even with a periodic drop in trans fluid. I've never done all that crap you mention above on any long road trip..what do you want to hear?..sorry but maybe you shouldn't have bought such an expensive Harley if you're being this worrisome over it..back to my original recommendation, go ride it and try and enjoy it for all that money..that's what I've done and it's all worked out just fine...good grief

Old 03-22-2019, 11:30 PM
yzernie
Road Captain

you just got a brand new 2019 RGU...dude, chill, stop being so paranoid..I do a lot of the same type riding, early M8 adopter..after over 30,000 miles your stated worries have been a non issue for me even with a periodic drop in trans fluid. I've never done all that crap you mention above on any long road trip..what do you want to hear?..sorry but maybe you shouldn't have bought such an expensive Harley if you're being this worrisome over it..back to my original recommendation, go ride it and try and enjoy it for all that money..that's what I've done and it's all worked out just fine...good grief
If you knew anything about me you'd realize how inaccurate your comment is. I live in a reality based world. If there is a problem I am going to stay on top of it. There may not be an issue, or, there may be one. As I get miles on the bike I'll know. Until then, don't judge and berate me for my concern for my equipment. All good, gonna ride the wheels off this baby!!

The following users liked this post:
Heatwave (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

If you knew anything about me you'd realize how inaccurate your comment is. I live in a reality based world. If there is a problem I am going to stay on top of it. There may not be an issue, or, there may be one. As I get miles on the bike I'll know. Until then, don't judge and berate me for my concern for my equipment. All good, gonna ride the wheels off this baby!!
was just trying to say your perception was some pretty wild exaggeration claims of what life on the road could be like..much more likely you’ll be one of the vast majority of owners enjoying the hell out of your new bike without having all the problems you read about, peace and be safe

Last edited by mjwebb; 03-22-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:52 PM
yzernie
Road Captain

was just trying to say your perception was some pretty wild exaggeration claims of what life on the road could be like..much more likely you’ll be one of the vast majority of owners enjoying the hell out of your new bike without having all the problems you read about, peace and be safe
I truly hope there is no issue and I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it just in case. All that said, I already have trips planned for Texas and Ohio for this year. My round trip to Ohio should be close to 10k miles. Way to much of this country to see and appreciate than to have to haul *** back and forth!! Already have most of my creature comforts on the bike and ready to roll some miles!! Ride safe.

mjwebb (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:23 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

I truly hope there is no issue and I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it just in case. All that said, I already have trips planned for Texas and Ohio for this year. My round trip to Ohio should be close to 10k miles. Way to much of this country to see and appreciate than to have to haul *** back and forth!! Already have most of my creature comforts on the bike and ready to roll some miles!! Ride safe.
may or may not help with your concerns but an interesting professional perspective nonetheless

Old 03-23-2019, 07:32 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Is the beratement really necessary? There are thousands of posts of guys that own M8s that are dealing with transmission fluid migration. Yzernie shared that he rides 25K a year with a history of his past HD bike leaving him stranded. Under the circumstances, a more sympathetic reply responding to his questions was far more appropriate.

To yzernie.... be prepared for lots of fanboyz dismissing your legitimate concerns. They will automatically chastise any new bike owner that expresses concerns about their new M8 bikes, just like this recent post. Unfortunately this has become the norm from those that own M8s that haven't experienced these design defects. Clearly an effort to diminish negative discussions about a bike they own.

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-23-2019 at 07:37 AM.
RinTin (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:49 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Is the beratement really necessary? There are thousands of posts of guys that own M8s that are dealing with transmission fluid migration. Yzernie shared that he rides 25K a year with a history of his past HD bike leaving him stranded. Under the circumstances, a more sympathetic reply responding to his questions was far more appropriate.

To yzernie.... be prepared for lots of fanboyz dismissing your legitimate concerns. They will automatically chastise any new bike owner that expresses concerns about their new M8 bikes, just like this recent post. Unfortunately this has become the norm from those that own M8s that haven't experienced these design defects. Clearly an effort to diminish negative discussions about a bike they own.
he asked besides checking trans level periodically is there anything else he should watch out for, I responded not really, go ride it is basically all he can do first which he didn't really care for and responded as such with

"Having to check the trans oil at every gas stop is just stupid. And what happens when half way through a 600-700 mile day when I have had to add oil to the trans 2 or 3 times and the primary is way overfilled? Am I expected to have to find a dealer or two every day to drain the primary? That's even more f'n ridiculous."

I in turn reminded him the vast majority of folks won't have to worry and that I personally have to deal with some trans fluid loss from time to time with no ill effects or hassles on the road..you and I are on the other end of the worry pendulum...how would you prefer to answer his concern of what he should be doing with his brand new 2019 RGU in regards to potential trans fluid transfer? ride it is the right answer and cross that bridge IF/when it does become a major issue..you can now return to your regularly scheduled sumping doom and gloom threads

Old 03-23-2019, 07:54 AM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave

Well said. I honestly don't get why the forum owners continue to all this member to treat other members this way. It's OK for people to have concerns. Why is that a problem? I'll never understand the fanboyz. One minute they disagree with you on a valid concern, then when someone post something postive, they take the negative side. It's confounding.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?