Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 10:10 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by RinTin
Ok that is what I expected, no response to your accusations. If you'd like to see the 24 oz of oil that came out of my primary when it sumped, I can share that too. Like most that have an issue, I document everything. Both transfer and sumping(twice) in my case. It's why I traded the bike for my 2018 CVO. I only wish all the issues had been fixed. My bad of course for not riding it out longer to see the reports.
so you got a clunker lemon, it happens..exception not the rule...doesn't mean yzernie needs to be overly concerned at this point..seriously, what advice are you to give him here on a brand new bike that hasn't yet had an opportunity to prove itself? that's what he's asking..what should he be concerned about or do about for this riding season.. answer, nothing at this time other than ride it

Old 03-23-2019, 10:19 AM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
so you got a clunker lemon, it happens..exception not the rule...doesn't mean yzernie needs to be overly concerned at this point..seriously, what advice are you to give him here on a brand new bike that hasn't yet had an opportunity to prove itself? that's what he's asking..what should he be concerned about or do about for this riding season.. answer, nothing at this time other than ride it
It's not a clunker lemon when you have all the reports of others out there. Don't undermine the situation. My advise is be prepared for the worse, hope for the best. For me, I've traveled from up north to the smokies every year for many years of vacation. I use to ride, but now I trailer. I also have AAA Platinum RV plus. It allow for 200 mile towing back to my trailer. I don't want to risk leaving my ride in some other state. Have I enjoyed every one of my vacation? Absolutely! With my precautions, I haven't worried a bit. You asked for my advise, you go it. That is all IMO.

Last edited by RinTin; 03-23-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:55 PM
yzernie
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
Well, you bought the best bike, for sure. I got my 18 RGU on St Patrick's Day of 2018 in Santa Fe. I put 500 break-in miles on it, then rode it normal-like to LA and stayed there, bought a house and moved all my other stuff in. Since April of 2018, I've put another 15k miles on the bike, most of it two-up with my lovely wife on back, and some of it loaded to the gills with travel stuff. I ride in all weather conditions, hot cold wet and dry. Last summer me and the wife plowed all over SoCal on the bike in temps as high as 107f. Lots of freeway stop and go, high speed cruising at 85 mph.

I didn't know about the transmission/primary transfer or sumping when I bought the bike. I found out about this a few days later. I do my own maintenance, and so when I get a new bike I go over it with a comb to see what the factory and dealer shop missed. At 50 miles, on Day Two, I found my transmission fluid level AT the bottom line on the dipstick. I always expect to find oil levels at the top mark on a new bike, so this concerned me. I did some Forum reading and learned of the transfer issue. I topped off my trans oil, adding about 4 oz to bring it up to the top line. After I rode the bike to LA I checked the trans oil again, and found it exactly where it was a thousand miles before, right smack at the top line. I kept a close eye on the trans oil level, checking it every couple hundred miles. Around 6k or 7k miles I started to notice some oil loss. A very small amount, and this rate of loss has remained constant until today, with the bike at 16k miles.

My bike's rate of transfer has stayed constant at about an oz of oil every couple thousand miles. To me, this is insignificant. Back in the days of chain drive long-haul bikes, I would spend way more time attending to my chain than I do keeping an eye on my trans oil level and keeping it topped off. I'd rather not have to do even this much work, but it is what it is. If mine was transferring five oz every 500 miles, then I'd be major po'd, and so I understand those whose bikes transfer so much so quick. Based on what we read in this forum, most bikes transferring do so the way mine does. Only a very few transfer huge amounts in short time, and those are truly defective, needing immediate repair. Probably, all of them transfer the way mine does, but most riders don't maintain their own bikes, and are unaware of it happening.

Long and short, my advice to yzernie is to ride the bike the way you like to ride. Check your trans oil every thousand miles just to be careful, chart your rate of transfer (if any) and continue to monitor until HD comes up with a fix.

As for sumping, this is extremely unlikely to happen. My 18 RGU was built in September of 2017, and so it doesn't even have any of the redesigned oil pumps in it. My stock RGU runs great. I pull it to redline pretty much every time I ride it, and am not afraid to do anything with it that I would do with any other bike I've ever owned. I wouldn't dream of riding any of my bikes pegged at redline for any length of time, pretty sure this would destroy most engines or at least greatly shorten life.

Enjoy your RGU. This is the best configuration HD produces.
Thanks for the info. I live at the top of the Cajon Pass, perhaps one of these days when it finally stops raining we'll have to meet!!

Old 03-23-2019, 01:36 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 1,257 Posts

I don't have Prostate Cancer.......... I keep getting checked because people I know and love, and a lot more that I don't, have had it. Do I let that affect the way I live my daily life and walk around doom and gloom because it could happen to me too? No. BUTT, I do get checked. It's smart to check things that are a known issue. And if I were to be diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, and IF they could take my old cancer ridden prostate and give me a brand new one to replace it, I certainly would, right? And if that prostate failed for the same cancer and I had the opportunity to to get a used, never to be known to ever get cancer prostate, I would take it in heartbeat! Just so I could live out the rest of my life not worrying so I can go out there and live my happy life. And this my friends, is why I no longer own an M8 and am happily riding around on a beautiful, perfectly running, all fluids staying put and full, cancer free 2014 SGS. Your story may vary.....

The following 2 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
RinTin (03-23-2019), Sam D. (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:24 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by yzernie
Thanks for the info. I live at the top of the Cajon Pass, perhaps one of these days when it finally stops raining we'll have to meet!!
Groovy, let's do it before it gets hot!

I'm chuckling after reading MotoJockey's prostate reasoning for trading his M8 down to a twin cam. Three days ago, I had a very painful reduction procedure done on my old, non-cancerous but enlarged prostate, and have been pissing blood since. I took the bike out yesterday to see if I can ride it, and I can, but not far yet. Tomorrow I get a cancer carved out of my nose, but that won't slow me down much. The rain is fading away. PM me a meeting place, and a date, and me and the wife will ride up there. We live in Menifee, just south of Riverside.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:07 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Well to make your life easier, get the Speed-Check Transmission Dipstick (chrome 37103-08 or black 62700192). It makes it so you don't need an Allen wrench to remove the dipstick. Your dealer might tell you it won't work on the M8, but it does. Then if you detect that you have a transfer problem there are remedies. The fat pushrod is probably the easiest to install and it seems to have a good track record. It's just been redesigned to work with the 2019 models. Less than $100. Not much for peace of mind.
I had to laugh when I read the Speed Check Dipstick... Not at you StoneCold
Last year when I took my bike to the dealer & told them I've had to add 4-6 oz of Trans Oil two different times,,, the Dealer Tech & Service Mgr tried to tell me first that the Dipstick was an aftermarket dipstick and was not reading correct....
Then I told them to look up my account & they would see it was a Harley Speed Check that I bought from them... Then they drained 45 oz out of the Primary...

Old 03-24-2019, 11:57 AM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Still no migration with near 13K miles.
Still loving this bike.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:36 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

I read all these threads, because I want to stay informed of possible fixes to the sumping and oil transfer... But it's harder & harder to do as people take sides and want to argue their perspective, filling these threads with arguing and often name calling....

Here's the part I don't get... why is everyone so polarized about this....????

FACT: The M8 can sump / the majority don't / if it does, there is no proper fix (HD's multiple attempts and band-aides not withstanding) although the last band-aid (oil pump plate with seal) is HD's best band-aide to date.

FACT: The M8 w/hydraulic clutch can transfer oil from trans to primary / HD changing their spec to allow for transfer doesn't change the fact that it IS NOT OK to have oil migrating from the trans to the primary / most will not transfer / if your bike does transfer, there is not a proper fix (from HD anyways). Good to see there is at least one aftermarket fix with good promise.

I don't understand why these two topics can't be discussed, without people getting all PO'd when someone doesn't agree with their perspective on these issues. There are certainly different schools of thought on the percentage of documented cases compared to bikes sold, potential risk of being affected by either, or both, of the issues, and how much you stand to lose (time, effort, money) to get the bike fixed/running to your satisfaction. The MoCo will make damn sure that no one can accurately know these answers. But think about this.... if you buy an HD and have one of, or both of these issues, you're chances of being affected just jumped to 100%.... if you buy one and never develop either issue, your chances dropped to 0%.... You either will or you will not.

Knowledge is power. It allows you to make a decision on how to spend your money. Everybody gets to choose the amount of risk they feel comfortable with.

For my part, I want to add an M8 to my HD collection. I will NOT buy one until I am satisfied that the MoCo has fixed the sumping and trans oil transfer once and for all.

That may never happen to my satisfaction. If not, I'll stick with my twin cam bikes and still enjoy the hell out of riding them. But I won't be angry or condescending towards those who choose to buy an M8. I will also feel compassion for their issues if they become one of those who have one/both of the issues.

The information about these issues, the possible fixes, the MoCo's response to these issues, and how they manifest themselves... should be known to anyone contemplating the purchase (new or used) of an M8 bike. Then they can make an intelligent decision on the risks they are willing to take and money they are willing to spend....

I like to read of people's experiences & people's opinions concerning these issues, but in the end... I will form my own opinion and I won't be upset if someone disagrees with me.....

I just wish we could all discuss the issues and then agree to disagree if need be......

FWIW....

Last edited by hattitude; 03-24-2019 at 01:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
borrec (03-24-2019), undy (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 04:57 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I read all these threads, because I want to stay informed of possible fixes to the sumping and oil transfer... But it's harder & harder to do as people take sides and want to argue their perspective, filling these threads with arguing and often name calling....

Here's the part I don't get... why is everyone so polarized about this....????

FACT: The M8 can sump / the majority don't / if it does, there is no proper fix (HD's multiple attempts and band-aides not withstanding) although the last band-aid (oil pump plate with seal) is HD's best band-aide to date.

FACT: The M8 w/hydraulic clutch can transfer oil from trans to primary / HD changing their spec to allow for transfer doesn't change the fact that it IS NOT OK to have oil migrating from the trans to the primary / most will not transfer / if your bike does transfer, there is not a proper fix (from HD anyways). Good to see there is at least one aftermarket fix with good promise.

I don't understand why these two topics can't be discussed, without people getting all PO'd when someone doesn't agree with their perspective on these issues. There are certainly different schools of thought on the percentage of documented cases compared to bikes sold, potential risk of being affected by either, or both, of the issues, and how much you stand to lose (time, effort, money) to get the bike fixed/running to your satisfaction. The MoCo will make damn sure that no one can accurately know these answers. But think about this.... if you buy an HD and have one of, or both of these issues, you're chances of being affected just jumped to 100%.... if you buy one and never develop either issue, your chances dropped to 0%.... You either will or you will not.

Knowledge is power. It allows you to make a decision on how to spend your money. Everybody gets to choose the amount of risk they feel comfortable with.

For my part, I want to add an M8 to my HD collection. I will NOT buy one until I am satisfied that the MoCo has fixed the sumping and trans oil transfer once and for all.

That may never happen to my satisfaction. If not, I'll stick with my twin cam bikes and still enjoy the hell out of riding them. But I won't be angry or condescending towards those who choose to buy an M8. I will also feel compassion for their issues if they become one of those who have one/both of the issues.

The information about these issues, the possible fixes, the MoCo's response to these issues, and how they manifest themselves... should be known to anyone contemplating the purchase (new or used) of an M8 bike. Then they can make an intelligent decision on the risks they are willing to take and money they are willing to spend....

I like to read of people's experiences & people's opinions concerning these issues, but in the end... I will form my own opinion and I won't be upset if someone disagrees with me.....

I just wish we could all discuss the issues and then agree to disagree if need be......

FWIW....
yes, we've seen this all too often over time, usually starts with a condescending remark, the retaliation then the pile on, gets contagious before it settles down..I'm guilty of making poor decisions that affect my behavior in this forum at times and need to try harder to be more considerate

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:10 PM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

I did a short 50mi ride on my 2017 stock Road King today.Its been a long winter and it was very good. It is 2 years old next month. I have never ridden a twin cam. I am so very satisfied with the motorcycle,no regrets, no problems .Im sure if I would develope some of the existing issues it would bother me but right now all seems great.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?