Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:09 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Yea, the aluminum plugs up die grinders too. Wasted a lot of time cleaning. Coping saw is a good idea. I wonder if drilling holes around the perimeter would expedite the coping saw...

I’m putting a couple of hundred miles Saturday and plan to leave it in 5th on the interstate.
Drilling a few probably would help. I took it out in halves. A hole would have made that easier. The coping saw made quick work of the process.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:46 AM
SG Steve
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
You sound like a good candidate for a relieved side cover. I would ask that you not install the primary vent unless the side cover doesn't work, but I would be willing to send you one.
Thanks for the offer Stonecold.
I work at a tool and die shop, and have looked at your relieved cover before, and thought I might have one machined here at work.
Last fall, one of Harley's master technician from Milwaukee was at my dealer. I did not let him install the primary vent at that time.
I thought Harley would come up with a real fix before this spring.
I did talk to this technician about relieving the cover to let the transmission fluid drain quicker away from the transmission shaft opening.
Told him that he / Harley should review all the information on this forum..

I still have about 10 months left on my warranty, and I am going to let Harley try one more time.
I also think this primary vent is a "Band-Aid", and Harley really needs to figure this out.
If the primary is really pulling a vacuum, I need to know why. There is something wrong that a vent will not fix.

If the primary vent does not work, I will probably install the "fat" clutch actuator rod (PrMan) and also relieve the side cover.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I relieved two side covers over this last weekend. I sent one to kevinckb3. I still have one I would like someone to try. I found the best tool for cutting out the barrier wall was a coping saw. Took about 5 or 10 minutes with that tool. The burr bits work for the relief ok, but that wall was eating my lunch.

So there are M8 covers with the center cut all the way out? Were you using alumna-burrs or regular ones. Seems to me an alumna-burrs on a decent tool would wack that out pretty quickly.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:43 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Steve
Thanks for the offer Stonecold.
I work at a tool and die shop, and have looked at your relieved cover before, and thought I might have one machined here at work.
Last fall, one of Harley's master technician from Milwaukee was at my dealer. I did not let him install the primary vent at that time.
I thought Harley would come up with a real fix before this spring.
I did talk to this technician about relieving the cover to let the transmission fluid drain quicker away from the transmission shaft opening.
Told him that he / Harley should review all the information on this forum..

I still have about 10 months left on my warranty, and I am going to let Harley try one more time.
I also think this primary vent is a "Band-Aid", and Harley really needs to figure this out.
If the primary is really pulling a vacuum, I need to know why. There is something wrong that a vent will not fix.

If the primary vent does not work, I will probably install the "fat" clutch actuator rod (PrMan) and also relieve the side cover.
Well you have the means to relieve a cover if you want to. A new side cover is about $50, there are probably some available from members that have purchased “The Fix” from me that you could get for less. I would relieve a cover and then ask the dealer to install it. Then your warranty should be in tact. With the amount of transfer you have I think the vent will be futile.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:58 AM
G'dayM8
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So I bought a 2017 RGS almost exactly two years ago. Was riding along at the end of last season and lost sixth gear. Cruising down the highway it felt like something snapped and bike was basically in neutral. 6th wouldn’t grab. 2 weeks ago I take the bike out and am bringing it to the dealer to have the issue looked at. Going down the highway, click into fifth and the whole tranny seized. It was stuck it 5th, couldn’t move the lever and engine would just rev under throttle. Had to get a tow. Harley replaces my transmission under warranty. Pick the bike up yesterday, get on the highway, click up into 6th, it grabs for a second and I lose it again. Ride it right back to the dealer in 5th gear. Needless to say I am furious as I already lost two weeks of riding. Curious what they tell me the problem is.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:29 AM
pablo55
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello friends, can someone write in spanish, my english is poor and no understand all your concept. I want understand same problems of my bike RK 2017 with oil transfer, my mai is pablo.vasser@gmail.com, thank you very much, Pablo

Old 06-08-2019, 09:20 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by pablo55
hello friends, can someone write in spanish, my english is poor and no understand all your concept. I want understand same problems of my bike RK 2017 with oil transfer, my mai is pablo.vasser@gmail.com, thank you very much, Pablo
Ha Ha, that's funny. We have trouble writing in English!

Old 06-08-2019, 09:33 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Que'pasa. Donde esta' el transferro en la primario mucho excesso...sorry, I tried

Old 06-08-2019, 11:18 AM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pablo55
Usa el traductor de Google

Old 06-08-2019, 01:52 PM
pablo55
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usa el traductor de Google, i use it but isn,t same that write in same language

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?