Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 04:35 PM
SHOGOR
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 oz oil in trans

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Well you have the means to relieve a cover if you want to. A new side cover is about $50, there are probably some available from members that have purchased “The Fix” from me that you could get for less. I would relieve a cover and then ask the dealer to install it. Then your warranty should be in tact. With the amount of transfer you have I think the vent will be futile.
What do you think the life expectancy of my trans is, I did my 1K service on my 2019 RGS and 8 oz of black trans oil drained out. I wasn't aware of the problem
until I searched the web and found out about it after the damage is done. Dealer says fill it up and they will monitor the levels.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:39 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOGOR
What do you think the life expectancy of my trans is, I did my 1K service on my 2019 RGS and 8 oz of black trans oil drained out. I wasn't aware of the problem
until I searched the web and found out about it after the damage is done. Dealer says fill it up and they will monitor the levels.
While I agree it is preferred to run the transmission with the proper amount of fluid in it, if it still had 8 oz. and you weren't experiencing any adverse effects like the transmission making noise or noticing the motorcycle seem to be under load, then you're not going to see any less life to your transmission. You need to take it back to the dealer and tell them to install the vent in your primary. If that doesn't fix it relieve the inner side cover, there are a few members that have had success with that modification.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:48 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Had my 20K done Saturday (2017 RGU M8), rear tire replaced by local Harley Master Tech (owns own business now). Asked him to check primary prior to draining for fluid transfer, as I have been adding tranny fluid. Sure enough about 1 qt overfilled in primary. He called Dealer to tell them about the issue, and they pulled my VIN and said my Powertrain has been flagged by Harley, WTF? The only thing done to bike was August 2017 at purchase dealer put aftermarket pipes, air cleaner, and Stage 1 download using a DEALESHIP OWNED Powervision tuner.

So, Now I'm gonna have to fight with Harley regarding my warranty...A Word to everyone on this site. Harley is VOIDING power train warranties on bikes with basically anything from stock!

Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2

Had my 20K done Saturday (2017 RGU M8), rear tire replaced by local Harley Master Tech (owns own business now). Asked him to check primary prior to draining for fluid transfer, as I have been adding tranny fluid. Sure enough about 1 qt overfilled in primary. He called Dealer to tell them about the issue, and they pulled my VIN and said my Powertrain has been flagged by Harley, WTF? The only thing done to bike was August 2017 at purchase dealer put aftermarket pipes, air cleaner, and Stage 1 download using a DEALESHIP OWNED Powervision tuner.

So, Now I'm gonna have to fight with Harley regarding my warranty...A Word to everyone on this site. Harley is VOIDING power train warranties on bikes with basically anything from stock!

Sounds like the dealer screwed up.. You should be able to dump the warranty work on him.. The is old stuff. Been known for a while.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:19 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
may or may not help with your concerns but an interesting professional perspective nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm57U2SUYaE
Ok.....first....I really like John (never met him but hope to since I’m so close to Columbus), I think his stuff is invaluable. So my comment is made in (slight jest) and I mean absolutely NO disrespect for John....I just thought this was funny.

Between about 13 and 15 minute marks, John makes 3 important statements:

paraphrasing here:

He says he has not seen many instances of sumping

later:

He has seen no (or very little) instances of voided warranty issues associated with M8 problems

and finally: the internet, in typical fashion, has overblown each of these issues.

Here’s what’s funny.....

When making each of the first 2 statements, John, at the critical moment, reaches up and touches his nose. This is the most fundamentally, classic “I’m not telling the truth” body language reaction. Do I think John is lying to us, no...but I’m sure there is an H-D “party line” which he must honor while doing all of his videos.

i reemphasize...I really like him and his stuff.....this is just too funny to pass up.

Last edited by cmhdwg09; 06-24-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:19 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

2019 RG, transferred 4 oz. from trans. to primary in a 3,200 mile trip (measured when drained). Put in the "Fat clutch rod" fix and just did a 6,200 mile RT from Washington State to Tennessee and back - zero transfer.

Fixed in my opinion...

Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by pablo55
hello friends, can someone write in spanish, my english is poor and no understand all your concept. I want understand same problems of my bike RK 2017 with oil transfer, my mai is pablo.vasser@gmail.com, thank you very much, Pablo
Que paso amigo

Old 07-24-2019, 09:24 AM
pablo55
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, "Fat clutch rod"is same that Greg Willam's bar?

Old 07-24-2019, 04:47 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pablo55
Hello, "Fat clutch rod"is same that Greg Willam's bar?
Yes, ordered from his Facebook page. It did the trick for me for sure....

The following users liked this post:
pablo55 (07-29-2019)
Old 08-21-2021, 01:04 AM
swdiesel
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did this fix work. I have a 2013 cvo ultra with dd7 transmission with tranfer problem.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?