Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,413 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Is it.. You say the problem occurs at 3000 motor rpms and above. That means the mainshaft is spinning at 2200 and above.. Wonder what the oil does when it touches the shaft? Which way does it want to go?

BTW.. If the slave cylinder has enough travel, why not use 2 cover gaskets? Then you have 1/8 inch clearance all around. You could add a spacer under the other end of the piece that goes through the throwout bearing if needed.
Alright lets make this simple. Take two standard 6" tall glasses and fill them up ONLY 1" with oil with them sitting on a level table. Now make a cover that seals both glasses and has a tube that connects both glasses together at the top and sticks out of one end only, but not the other. Put a rod down the tube and jack it back and forth at any speed you like and tell us what happens.

Then make a second test that fills one glass up to half the diameter of the tube that connect them together with the other glass still only having 1" in it and tell us what happens with the rod being jacked back and forth.

Then repeat the last test over without jacking the rod back and forth.

Let us know once you finished the testing and supply us the results.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:47 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Another 100 miles on it with the UV trace in. No migration yet. The ride to dinner was worth it.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:43 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

FWIW.. I checked my levels the other day. Trans was top of the F and primary primary a tad high being just above the bottom of the clutch plates.Went for a 200 mile ride today. When I parked it, I noticed some oil splash on cover for the rear cylinder exhaust and oil around the trans dipstick. Unscrewed it find the O ring tore when I installed it last time. My point is, if the oil is well below the surface the dipstick threads into, how does oil get up to it and pushed out through the torn o-ring and out the hole? The trans level was fine so it I didnt lose much, but I'm wondering if there isnt pressure in there, high enough to force oil up and out?

Old 07-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,413 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
FWIW.. I checked my levels the other day. Trans was top of the F and primary primary a tad high being just above the bottom of the clutch plates.Went for a 200 mile ride today. When I parked it, I noticed some oil splash on cover for the rear cylinder exhaust and oil around the trans dipstick. Unscrewed it find the O ring tore when I installed it last time. My point is, if the oil is well below the surface the dipstick threads into, how does oil get up to it and pushed out through the torn o-ring and out the hole? The trans level was fine so it I didnt lose much, but I'm wondering if there isnt pressure in there, high enough to force oil up and out?
The gears are spinning through the oil and it tosses oil mist everywhere. If you read back to my earlier post you will see where I ran without the dipstick install and had my cloth cover move out of the way and it splashed oil all over the starter area. The dipstick has flats cut up both side when screwed in so the O-ring must seal or it will leak. That is just why HD went to the trouble to shield the pushrod area as well as they have. The idea is to keep the splashing oil mist out of the area where it is venting. There is very little pressure in the transmission and primary, that is why it has always been vented through a tiny 3/16" hose.

The following users liked this post:
CR3999 (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm at 4500mi, with 2000 since my last change, she is not using/migrating any fluids, tranny or engine. I am not used to checking tranny fluid unless I see a leak, but I will check it more often. I am running M1 20/50 in all three since my last change.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:34 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Alright lets make this simple. Take two standard 6" tall glasses and fill them up ONLY 1" with oil with them sitting on a level table. Now make a cover that seals both glasses and has a tube that connects both glasses together at the top and sticks out of one end only, but not the other. Put a rod down the tube and jack it back and forth at any speed you like and tell us what happens.

Then make a second test that fills one glass up to half the diameter of the tube that connect them together with the other glass still only having 1" in it and tell us what happens with the rod being jacked back and forth.

Then repeat the last test over without jacking the rod back and forth.

Let us know once you finished the testing and supply us the results.
I tried this, but instead of oil I used Whiskey, and instead of a tube I used a straw..ended up getting too drunk to finish the test or jack the rod back and forth

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-69fb3cda31540f8b63d5eff5fb05b897-work-humor-humour.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by mjwebb:
FM500 (07-04-2017), Max Headflow (07-03-2017), MotoJockey (07-03-2017), stixvrad (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:29 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,056 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Ok..... quick update.... not a happy update, but an update nonetheless.

Dealer dropped off my bike at work at 5:30 yesterday as I was getting off work. Climbed on it and rode it 47 miles home. Pulled it to the shop, kissed the wife and pulled the tranny dipstick out, wiped it off, and checked the level........ DRY!! Checked it 2 more times and found the level just barely touching the bottom of the stick. Drained the oil and measured 23oz. Put in the recommended 28 oz. of oil back in, (Mobil 1 Syn 20w50 V-Twin was all I had on the shelf), and rode it 56 miles. Checked the level and it was still halfway in the "X". While I was out, I picked up a bottle if Oil Dye for the tranny. I had asked the service dept if they had put any in and they said no, but I could if I wanted, so I did, along with about 2 more oz.'s of oil in the gearbox to make sure the level was at the top of the "X". So, what I saw was, either the dealer didn't put enough oil back into the gearbox and I read that level when I got home even tho there was actually no transfer of fluid, or there was transfer in only 47 miles. If there was transfer on the way home after work, why would there have been little or no transfer in the 56 miles I rode after changing out the oil? I don't know..... And as far as what school I went to....... read my signature below, lol!

So this is where I am. I have a full tranny with dye in it. I have a weekend of riding planned at Hollister. I have a qt of oil in my saddle bag and some wrenches. I'll let you know what I find out on the trip when I get back. And, I have a bad taste in my mouth after this recent tranny swap, which as I stated earlier, came to the dealer in different shipments.

For the sceptic(s) reading this thread- See Repair Order attached. If I tell you something...... anything.......you can hang your hat on on it. Not a troll or a poser and don't really appreciate having someone elude to that. I realize you guys don't know who the ***** I am or what I'm about, but over time you'll see that I'm just a guy with a couple of bikes that like to ride, just like you. But I am also a mechanic that likes to troubleshoot, wrench, and repair. THAT'S what I do........

So I quoted myself above, not because I overestimate my importance value, but to help keep the flow with this update from the last update for those that might not have read the last one.....

So, after I put the oil dye in the tranny, we took off the next day for our little trip. I checked the tranny level about a half a dozen different times throughout the weekend and no loss of oil. Rode to work and back today for a total of 550 miles since I put the dye in. Still no signs of loss. As a side note, it seems that my service tech at the dealership shorted me some oil the other day, huh? How else would you explain a 5 oz loss in the 47 mile ride home and then none for the last 550? (The service manager and I will chat about that on Wednesday when they open again.) Anyhow, I haven't pulled the derby cover to peek inside the primary until tonight. Luckily I still had a UV penlight at work so I was able to check it out properly. As you can see in the picture below, there is a thin film of dye floating on the oil. I would have felt better if there was a ****-ton of it in there or none at all, you know what I'm sayin'? This little bit makes me wonder if it's just some residual dye left over from when it was transferred during the dealers test or a small trace of my dye actually leaking thru. I really doubt they did a nice thorough flush of my primary, soooooo hell, I don't know. At this point, I'm going to just run this thing as it is and keep checking the tranny oil level and amount of dye in the primary. I mean, I guess I could flush the primary myself and start all over, but I think if there is any leakage between the two cases still there, the dye will start to accumulate more and more and I'll be able to see that eventually.

So whatever mystical magical difference there is between my old transmission and this one, I don't know, but I can say that if there is still any leaking going on, it has been DRAMATICALLY reduced. The dealership either doesn't know what it is or isn't saying, and although I had a missed call the other day on my cell, I don't think it was Willie G. calling to let me in on the little secret. So until someone somewhere figures this thing out AND comes forward with the actual problem/fix, we may never really know for sure........

I realize that my Repair Order doesn't show the Transmission Case listed on it, but I was told a few different times by the service dept that they did replace the case. The case was the first thing that arrived at the shop and at the time, they thought it was the complete setup and called to tell me that it was there and they were going to swap it out right away. That's when they realized their mistake and told me that the gear set was coming separately at a later date. It may have not been typed onto the RO, but it's there.

Bottom line......... I'll keep checkin' levels and checkin' in.......

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-tranny-oil-and-dye.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
hattitude (07-04-2017), PA1195 (07-04-2017), rjjj629 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:56 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I tried this, but instead of oil I used Whiskey, and instead of a tube I used a straw..ended up getting too drunk to finish the test or jack the rod back and forth
I can not help it. Can you tell us what brand and wt. of whiskey you used for the test. Is it the "best"?

Old 07-04-2017, 02:25 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Hate to say it, but looks like I'm having a similar issues. Build date - April 2017. I started getting concerned before I even knew about this thread. The day of my purchase, with only around 30 miles on the odometer, I checked engine and transmission oil and everthing was perfect. Checked everything again at around 500 miles and engine oil was still ok, but the transmision oil was now at the halfway mark. At the time of my 1k service, the level was just a hair above the add mark. Let the dealer know, of course they never heard of the issue, but they did document the transmission oil was low. They drained and refilled all fluids and again the transmission was exactly at the full mark, but now at 1700 miles its jus over halfway down the stick again. On a side note, I babied this bike the first 500 miles. Never went north of 3000 rpm til after 500 miles and never north of 3500 til after 1k. Now, I ride a little it a little more 'normal' and 4k rpm is a more frequent occurance. There's great information in this thread. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I'll post any updates.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:32 AM
EdwardToscano
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

checked mine yesterday and it was low, off the stick low? My 103 was like yours, check it and forget it so I was surprised that is as low on the M8 after 1400 miles. My oil was also 1 QT low at 1400 miles.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?