Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   who's been having to add transmission fluid? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1175678-whos-been-having-to-add-transmission-fluid.html)

mjwebb 05-10-2017 12:35 PM

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

when checking mine periodically it's been dropping from Full to Add level...now granted the diff between the two is only a couple ounces tops..but my Rushmore was pretty much set it and forget between ~10K fluid change...I'm at 6 K now and since the 1K I've had to top it off a couple times..something to check regularly now which hasn't been all that necessary on past bikes

Quik 05-10-2017 12:46 PM

I haven't read on the procedure but what's the recommended way to check it, hot, cold, upright or on the kick stand? I just checked mine after a ride and 5 minute cool down on the stand, stick screwed in and nothing is showing on the stick.

Klong4HD 05-10-2017 12:49 PM

I haven't checked mine. Now you have me curious.

mjwebb 05-10-2017 12:50 PM

procedure is on jiffy stand, cold (room temp), screw dipstick in until only the gasket makes contact and check

Quik 05-10-2017 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mjwebb (Post 16224234)
procedure is on jiffy stand, cold (room temp), screw dipstick in until only the gasket makes contact and check

Thank you, I will check again when it's cold but got me worried now since nothing was on dip stick hot. I purchased a in house maintenance deal that changes all fluids every 2500 miles and I've only got 1000 miles since last change so I would hope it wouldn't be that low!

CVO SG 05-10-2017 01:09 PM

How can you loose tranny fluid unless it's leaking out?

mjwebb 05-10-2017 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by us1fountain (Post 16224294)

bingo..hence my post....I check it in an exact consistent manner by the book so hoping to gain some understanding of what's going with the variance..makes me wonder at the rate of 'consumption' I've observed, for lack of better word, had I not been checking it if it would not be registering or barely..wife has a Freewheeler and we have a couple 2000 mile + trips coming up so know we'll need to add tranny fluid to the packing list, along with some engine oil or possibly buying some along the way..guess we'll be able to draw some legit conclusions by the end of Summer

CVO SG 05-10-2017 05:50 PM

gotcha

Max Headflow 05-10-2017 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by us1fountain (Post 16224294)

It could be leaking into the motor oil pan through the passageway to the tranny drain plug. It could also be leaking into the primary through the mainshaft clutch pushrod hole.. For it to leak through the mainshaft I suspect that the tranny vent would have to be plugged tho.

68 XLCH 05-10-2017 06:57 PM

Check trans, engine and cooling before each ride and all are fine, never had to add any fluids.