Rider Back Rest

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:46 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Rider Back Rest

Hey all,

I have the rider back rest and a Tall Boy seat. It is mounted to the furthest back locater but is still a bit forward for my liking. Not terrible but it seems like I am not back as far in the seat as I should be. The adjustment screw seems to be all the way backed out, not that I think that is a major thing. Any ideas of a fix?

TYIA

Old 05-11-2017, 01:29 PM
101ABN_17FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the same problem until I learned to slide my a$$ forward a bit. Much more comfortable than being straight up and allows you to recline a bit more.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:24 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 101ABN_17FLHTK
I had the same problem until I learned to slide my a$$ forward a bit. Much more comfortable than being straight up and allows you to recline a bit more.
That's what I've been doing but I'm a bit too far forward that way. Feels like I didn't pay stupid money for a seat that puts me back further...LOL

I do agree it is more comfortable overall that way, or at least if I didn't have to use the rear brake.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:32 PM
101ABN_17FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

try this guy, Ive heard great things about his mods.

www.meancitycycles.com
866-550-SEAT

Old 05-11-2017, 05:47 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 994 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by 101ABN_17FLHTK
try this guy, Ive heard great things about his mods.

www.meancitycycles.com
866-550-SEAT
They won't be able to do anything to move the backrest further back.

OP, can I see a pic from the side?

Old 05-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Beretta52
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Hey all,

I have the rider back rest and a Tall Boy seat. It is mounted to the furthest back locater but is still a bit forward for my liking. Not terrible but it seems like I am not back as far in the seat as I should be. The adjustment screw seems to be all the way backed out, not that I think that is a major thing. Any ideas of a fix?

TYIA
I have the rider backrest & use the stock Road glide seat, & my Sundowner seat. They work ok, but I was actually considering putting my backrest under "extreme" heat to try to add a bend to it, or perhaps reshape it to sit me back further. Worst case scenario is I have to buy a new backrest if it doesn't work out, but I don't believe Harley sells any other mount for our bikes. Your only other option is too shell out bucks for an aftermarket seat with built in backrest. I'm looking into the Mustang vintage solo with added backrest. Supposed to sit you down lower than any other seat & have the same comfort level.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Mathis
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Beretta52
They work ok, but I was actually considering putting my backrest under "extreme" heat to try to add a bend to it, ...
The mount for the HD backrest on my RK Special is bolted to the frame. I added several washers under the two front mounting points, to tilt the mount back, and inserted longer bolts. It worked great.

The following users liked this post:
King_David (05-16-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 07:07 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 994 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Mathis
The mount for the HD backrest on my RK Special is bolted to the frame. I added several washers under the two front mounting points, to tilt the mount back, and inserted longer bolts. It worked great.
Thats a good idea! I'll have to try that.

Im pretty sure it's bolted to the fender, not the frame.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 AM
smokingjoe
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Beretta52
I have the rider backrest & use the stock Road glide seat, & my Sundowner seat. They work ok, but I was actually considering putting my backrest under "extreme" heat to try to add a bend to it, or perhaps reshape it to sit me back further. Worst case scenario is I have to buy a new backrest if it doesn't work out, but I don't believe Harley sells any other mount for our bikes. Your only other option is too shell out bucks for an aftermarket seat with built in backrest. I'm looking into the Mustang vintage solo with added backrest. Supposed to sit you down lower than any other seat & have the same comfort level.
Thats a good idea, you don't need much bend,take it to the closet welding shop they can heat/bend it for you for a few dollars, little sanding and a can of black spray paint to keep down rust and you're good.
joe

Old 05-12-2017, 08:15 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SWThomas
They won't be able to do anything to move the backrest further back.

OP, can I see a pic from the side?

Quick Reply: Rider Back Rest