Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad STEALERSHIP experience, M8 rant!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:03 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bad STEALERSHIP experience, M8 rant!!!

I was offered retail trade value for my 2015 Road Glide Special at Glenview Chicago Harley; the trade value the dealer offered was $19,475. That same amount would be applied to the new purchase of a 2017 RGS M8 $23,999. To me it was a no brainer deal since I actually paid $21000 for my 2015 RGS. I informed the dealer sales (Nick and Randy) managers that the only way that I would proceed with the deal was if they removed all of my installed parts, powder coated parts, polished rotors, accessories, after market intake by Roland Sands and Vance & Hines pro pipe full exhaust, swap my ape hangers and swap my biketronics audio system, amp and speakers into the new bike. They were to remove the V&H exhaust, intake and return those parts back to me and in return I would return the OEM exhaust and intake to them.

The deal was for me to trade in a fully stock 2015 RGS with its original exhaust, intake, handlebars, etc. I informed the dealer that I had all of the original parts in storage and once the deal would be agreed I would bring the OEM parts back to them. So they agreed on the deal.

I left the dealer and went to pick up the bikes title and the remainder of the funds to complete the deal on the new purchase. I have to admit that I was overly excited about such a great deal. I am a repeat customer at Glenview Chicago Harley, so far I have purchased 4 Harley’s from that dealer, and I have also recommended a few co-workers and bikers buddies to buy there. So I figured that they were “FINALLY” taking care of me for being such a good valued and repeat customer! Anyway, I wasn’t aware what was to come in the future!~

The dealers put everything in writing, ok the deal, and even have a list of the parts that I wanted to swap, removed or given back to me. They even gave me a bill of sale with the agreed deal on it, price, trade value etc! Once I had returned back to the dealer with my bikes title and funds to complete the deal. Nick, informed me that they would not be going through with the deal and if I wanted to proceed with the deal I needed to give them more money, like almost $1,000 more on top of what was already agreed. I have to be honest that I felt like they pulled a “bait & switch” tactic on me, in fact they DID! I became extremely upset with them and informed them that I already had the funds, title, etc to finalized the deal and that I went out of my way to get this deal done and not they are re-nicking on the deal once they put everything in writing!!!? Who the freak does that to a customer!?

So they noticed that I was upset so then they tried to ask me to leave the Vance & Hines exhaust and Roland Sands intake in order to move forward with the deal. I told them no, and that I already had my V&H exhaust sold for $700 to a buddy of mine. If they wanted for me to leave the exhaust to give me credit for $700 so that I can use those funds to buy a new exhaust for the new bike. They said no, etc so we went back and forth, etc etc Nick was telling me that the issue with the deal was above him and that it wasn’t approve, etc and all this bullshit sales tactics.
I informed them that I am not only a repeat customer but that several of my co-workers and friends, due to my referral had purchased bikes, parts etc from them. That I will write a letter to Harley Corporate, give them a negative review on Yelp, social medial and of course the forums. These a-holes even went with the trouble of picking up my bike that I was going to trade from my residence to then, re-nicked on the deal?

Anyway, the word “STEALERSHIP” came to mind almost immediately! So they said sorry, etc and all this bs and that they would transport the bike back to my residence at no cost., blah blah blah. So I called Lakeshore Harley, spoke to Preston the sales manager, and informed him of what just transpired. He said that whatever they didn’t honor that he would and that I would be treated totally differently at his dealer and if he promised something he would deliver. To bring all of the documents, check, title etc he even offered to pick up the bike from too. I asked the managers at Glenview Chicago Harley to transport the bike over to Lakeshore Harley, they agreed to transport the bike and were not happy too!!

Well, it was a total different experience as a new customer/shopper at Lakeshore I was treated with respect, dignity, they honored everything the other dealer didn’t, gave me the exact same deal, etc with no problems, issues, negotiations, etc. So now I will be a customer for LIFE at Lakeshore Harley that happens to be a smaller dealer than the one I was at so it’s more family goal orientated and customer service driven than the POS Glenview Chicago Harley… Needless to say that Glenview Chicago Harley lost a repeat customer and now they will be getting a negative review and an unhappy customer. I am currently working on my complaint letter to Corporate.

Guys be careful with dealers, sellers, manages who promised and don’t deliver. I came to realization that greed got the best of Glenview Chicago Harley~ But I’m ecstatic that everything worked itself out in the end and now I am a happy owner of a 2017 M8 RGS in Denim Black~

Thanks for listening brothers & sisters~

Old 05-22-2017, 08:10 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

That's crazy, but at least it did have a happy ending. Something very similar happened to me at my local (closest) dealer, haven't been back since, and I never pass up an opportunity to bad mouth them either.

The following users liked this post:
chgofirefighter (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

I glad to hear you got such a great deal. My first thought was that Lakeshore was mostly interested in poking Glenview. Be careful about getting your hopes up to much. I'm sure Lakeshore is as much interested in making money as Glenview. They just got a chance to steal a good customer and my have taken a small loss or a small profit just for spite.

The following 3 users liked this post by ronaldrwl:
chgofirefighter (05-22-2017), drcollie (05-22-2017), FLTRI17 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:15 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

We are hearing more and more about Stealerships and dirty sales tactics, but in the end, it hurts they reputation and business. I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end and that you got the deal you were promised, albeit from a different dealer. It's amazing that Stealerships think they can treat any customer like that, let alone longstanding return customers. I encourage you to rant on as much social media outlets as you can and follow up with the mothership. Dealers can lose their rights to the HD franchise over stuff like this.

Congrats once again, you will be eating bugs for the next little while due to the sh*t eating grin that you will have every time you're on your new scoot. Post some pics of the beauty once you have it.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow man you did get a really nice deal! Congrats - thanks for taking the time to tell us what happened, unfortunate that they ruined your relationship with them.

Seems like it all worked out though

Enjoy!

Old 05-22-2017, 01:42 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks guys for the positive feedback~

Old 05-22-2017, 02:26 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,405 Likes on 4,014 Posts

They are only stealerships if you let them rob you.....

Dealers use these ridiculous sales tactics because they work..... They've probably done that numerous times. Most people will just eat the extra $700-$1000 to keep the deal on track, after all that effort, rather than walk away and start again somewhere else....

Glad to hear you walked away... if more people did that, everyone would be treated better...

Congrats on new bike.....

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
chgofirefighter (05-22-2017), WarHorse15 (06-20-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 04:32 PM
JohnTz
Cruiser
Received 129 Likes on 44 Posts

Love this story and especially the ending. The dealers around Chicago have a lot to be desired. I will check out Lakeshore next time I am in that area.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:45 PM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Did the original dealer give all details in writing when you went to get extra $$ & tilted ? If so they are bound to that contract. Even if it wasn't approved. Someone typed it up with the company information on it. If they did write all the terms out & give you a copy then failed to follow thru.. that breach of contract.
Also fraud to the public.
Glad another dealer helped out

Old 05-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

Your money, your choice in the end...glad it turned out OK...

Quick Reply: Bad STEALERSHIP experience, M8 rant!!!