Too loud

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:20 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mycvo
You shoul try the s&s mk45 they sound great
I heard a set of these at my dealer. They do have a very low rumble to them. I think I am going to go with them when I change mine

Old 06-16-2017, 06:09 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

Originally Posted by NCTURBOS
Do what! You're sadly mistaken if you think that the muffler(s) don't have an effect on the power output of these bikes!

FWIW, seems like the SE Cannons are one of the better performing mufflers available currently. This via what many of the tuners doing the R&D nationwide are saying...

K.
Got any examples? Or is this just talk.. For then most part mufflers on the M8 don't make much difference until you add a cam that has some overlap. Without overlap, the muffler only make more power by allowing the motor less pressure to evacuate the cylinder.. On higher compression motors this issue makes less of a difference.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:15 AM
NCTURBOS
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Got any examples? Or is this just talk.. For then most part mufflers on the M8 don't make much difference until you add a cam that has some overlap. Without overlap, the muffler only make more power by allowing the motor less pressure to evacuate the cylinder.. On higher compression motors this issue makes less of a difference.
Max,

The statement that they don't make a difference was a blanket statement, as was my response. In which case they DO make a difference.

In this particular case, the OP's bike does have a camshaft installed, as well as the other upgrades to get to that point. In which case that covers your above statement.

If you've seen Durwood's postings about the different exhaust choices you very well know that they make a difference, regardless of how much or how little, and where within the curve you can see the difference. Add the camshaft to the mix, and other more exotic upgrades and the difference becomes even more noticeable.

K.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

Originally Posted by NCTURBOS
Max,

The statement that they don't make a difference was a blanket statement, as was my response. In which case they DO make a difference.

In this particular case, the OP's bike does have a camshaft installed, as well as the other upgrades to get to that point. In which case that covers your above statement.

If you've seen Durwood's postings about the different exhaust choices you very well know that they make a difference, regardless of how much or how little, and where within the curve you can see the difference. Add the camshaft to the mix, and other more exotic upgrades and the difference becomes even more noticeable.

K.

If you look at Darren's or Steve Coles' testing, changing the exhaust of a stock motor made little difference.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Regardless of the headers, I'm surprised folks would find the Street Canons too loud.

YMMV...
Agreed I have the stock Head pipe and cannons I think the sound is pretty darn good sounds almost like the stock pipe at cruising speed and a nice throaty bark at FOT. Everyone's perception of sound and what's pleasing or not is quite different and YMMV

Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 PM
SG_Lefty
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
I personally like the V&H power dual headers.. no cat and with the Eliminator 400 mufflers it was a huge improvement. I then thought about making it a bit louder and removed the removable baffles.. (there is no packing just a baffle that can be easily removed via 4 screws bolted onto the end cap) took 15 min to remove end caps, remove the 4 hex screws that held up the large baffle, and put the end cap back in place. That thing is loud now. Deep, not raspy, but when you're on it, you know. It's loud but I can't really tell if it's annoyingly loud. I think I'll leave it that way for now, or if others complain then I'll swap to a smaller baffle.
I have the power duals with the destroyer mufflers... I removed the fiberglass packing. It made a bit of a difference, but I think it's still to quite.. So you are saying you can remove the long baffle with no issues?

Old 06-23-2017, 07:57 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

The V&H eliminator 400 mufflers do not come with any packing.. It's just one long baffle that is easily removed by removing two screws on the bottom of the end cap. The entire kit (end cap and baffle) slides out as one piece. The baffles themselves are bolted onto the end cap with three hex screws. Remove those and you free up the baffle. This is how they swap for other baffle designs. If you don't want the baffles simply put the end caps back into the mufflers and you're done. Without the baffles the bike sounds really loud with a nice deep rumble but I think it's a bit too loud for me so I opted to just cut down the baffles instead. Cutting the length increases flow and noise but still creates a deep tone.. It also helps create back pressure which you will lose if you go completely baffleless.

The following users liked this post:
SG_Lefty (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:14 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ejvette
Agreed I have the stock Head pipe and cannons I think the sound is pretty darn good sounds almost like the stock pipe at cruising speed and a nice throaty bark at FOT. Everyone's perception of sound and what's pleasing or not is quite different and YMMV
As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I should have used a different title on this thread.

The cannon's did get louder when I added the FM catless head pipe, but it was more about tone than volume. Although I was pretty happy with the cannon's prior to the FM header, the header amplified the volume and also amplified all the things that I really didn't care for in the Cannon's.

The new Rinehart 4.5's are not as loud, and sound incredible. I know sound is subjective, but for me, it's now perfect.

The following users liked this post:
SG_Lefty (06-23-2017)