Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Can't decide: 2017 Road King Special vs. Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:16 PM
pardus
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool Can't decide: 2017 Road King Special vs. Road Glide

Finally decided to get a touring bike but can't decide what to get. I have never owned a bike with a windshield and been on a sporty for the last 5 years so getting on a touring bike is a big change, especially with a fairing.

Most of my riding is around town but wanting to get out on some longer highway trips with my wife. Not sure how much I will do but the majority will still be around town. I also have bad hearing loss and 24/7 tinnitus so trying to keep my noise levels down. Don't care about the infotainment system in the glide, I wear custom plugs or custom ear buds along with either a 3/4 or full depending on the length of ride.

I have been out riding demos and narrowed it down to a 2017 Road King Special or Road Glide. I love the simple blacked out RKS and ability to put a windshield on for the longer trips. Took out standard Rk and hated the windshield, the buffeting was crazy over 60mph like my head was in a dryer. Would way rather have no shield but then highway is going to be draining on longer trips. I have read a bunch of posts about options to minimize buffeting but still seems like it is an issue. If you have an RK, is that a problem for you?

I did a long 3 hour ride on a Road Glide Special the other day both twisty highway and in the city. Great on the highway, buffeting was tolerable, handled great. In the city though, I couldn't stand the bulky dashboard and fairing. I am so used to buzzing around on my sporty that I am not sure I want to give up not having an open front end.

Anyway, just looking for some feedback to help me decide on which one to get and if anyone else struggled with deciding which one to go with. It's going to be my first brand new bike and want to get it right. Also considering waiting for the 2018 models.

Last edited by pardus; 06-08-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

i got the road glide this year after a few sport bikes and then having a softail for the last 3 years. while i do miss the nimbleness and ease of having a smaller bike. the RG eats miles and having the radio is nice for those solo rides. a lot of times around town i turn the volume down on the radio and just ride. but when i run out 100 miles solo out to PA it is real nice to have some sounds.

the fairing is funny, you can open all the vents and with the short stock windshield you still get a good amount of the wind in your face. But it takes a lot of the pressure off of your chest where I feel you get most of your fatigue from. The best suggestion I have is maybe rent a bike for weekend and see would've liked living with it.

If you're going to do a lot of miles then you're going to be upgrading your windshield anyway.

The following users liked this post:
pardus (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:00 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pardus
Finally decided to get a touring bike but can't decide what to get. I have never owned a bike with a windshield and been on a sporty for the last 5 years so getting on a touring bike is a big change, especially with a fairing.

Most of my riding is around town but wanting to get out on some longer highway trips with my wife. Not sure how much I will do but the majority will still be around town. I also have bad hearing loss and 24/7 tinnitus so trying to keep my noise levels down. Don't care about the infotainment system in the glide, I wear custom plugs or custom ear buds along with either a 3/4 or full depending on the length of ride.

I have been out riding demos and narrowed it down to a 2017 Road King Special or Road Glide. I love the simple blacked out RKS and ability to put a windshield on for the longer trips. Took out standard Rk and hated the windshield, the buffeting was crazy over 60mph like my head was in a dryer. Would way rather have no shield but then highway is going to be draining on longer trips. I have read a bunch of posts about options to minimize buffeting but still seems like it is an issue. If you have an RK, is that a problem for you?

I did a long 3 hour ride on a Road Glide Special the other day both twisty highway and in the city. Great on the highway, buffeting was tolerable, handled great. In the city though, I couldn't stand the bulky dashboard and fairing. I am so used to buzzing around on my sporty that I am not sure I want to give up not having an open front end.

Anyway, just looking for some feedback to help me decide on which one to get and if anyone else struggled with deciding which one to go with. It's going to be my first brand new bike and want to get it right. Also considering waiting for the 2018 models.

After reading this and now knowing your situation, I think the RK would be better for you. However as stated, rent each for a full day and really ride them both.The detachable windshield on the RK is great for when you want it and when you don't.

pardus (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Came from a Night Train to a RGS. The bike felt huge to me at first, and like you, the fairing seemed bulky because I was so used to not having anything but the road in front of me. After a couple of weeks, the bike just felt normal. The size difference faded away pretty quickly.

While you may not care for the radio, the GPS will come in handy I'm sure. (You can always add one to the RK as well though).

Buffeting: I only have experience with the RGS, but I will say, the stock windshield put the jet stream right into my forehead. Vents opened or closed made no difference. Getting a little taller shield (11" Long Ride Shields Stingray, stock is 8") made a giant difference. Now the jet stream coming over the fairing and shield shoots right up over my head. It was the best mod I did for not a lot of money.

Hard to say what you'll like best. I don't know. However, after having the RGS, it would be hard for me to get anything but.

From what you said though, sounds like you'd like the RKS.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 06-08-2017 at 09:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cygnusx51:
pardus (06-08-2017), RexD (09-21-2019)
Old 06-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Doshounds
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts

I couldn't decide either so I bought both! Sounds like the RK is the way you need to go.

pardus (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 05:15 AM
NDRK
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

It's called a "Road King" for a reason. And you don't have to spend a bunch of time trying to figure out a info system that distracts from the joy of the bike.

The following 4 users liked this post by NDRK:
AGSURFR (06-15-2017), bpav16 (05-27-2018), pardus (06-09-2017), shorelasHD (06-15-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 06:07 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by NDRK
It's called a "Road King" for a reason. And you don't have to spend a bunch of time trying to figure out a info system that distracts from the joy of the bike.
Its not that different from many other systems in vehicles nowadays so the learning curve didn't take long. It's actually a pretty basic system. No need to make it out to be something that NASA created. The GPS and ability to custom map routes hardly detracts, or distracts, from the joy of the bike. I'll be enjoying the hell out of mine come Monday when I leave for a 7 day camping trip. The radio will come in handy too!

For the guys that ride very little or just to the local ice cream stand and grocery store, sure, it could be seen as a little overkill though.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 822 Posts

ROADKING ALL THE WAY! I've owned a Heritage, 3 Ultra's and my RK since 2014. I have added lowers, and tourpak, had air deflectors (fangs) for a while. Your OP is confusing to me. You rode a sporty for a while and now want to upgrade. Your complaining about the buffering from the RK Windshield. That is easily fixed with the windshield height, either cut it or get one of many different heights/sizes. You will have the same problem with the RG. So, going from fixed fairing bike to one I can change quickly and easily to suit my driving needs, the RK is the most versatile. I ride all summer without lowers, tourpak, and windshield. If I go on a long trip, I can add the windshield and tourpak and the lowers depends on the temp. You can also add a Garmin. I added 12v outlet under the frame just below the seat. I can plug in the garmin and stick it to the speedo, just don't forget to lick the suction cup. Or I sometimes run my Motorola S9 with bluetooth for Pandora and directions. Hope this helps, good luck.

pardus (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you got money to blow, buy the Road King now.
After putting miles and miles with a passenger, you'll be looking to improve your comfort level.
Thats when you will want a larger bike , and the Road Glide comes into play.

The RG use to be Harleys best kept secret, now the secret is out
Btw.......The Road King is called the Road King, because Stripped Down Touring Bike, wouldn't sell as well............LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce00:
mndelrosario (06-15-2017), pardus (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 07:58 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce00
If you got money to blow, buy the Road King now.
After putting miles and miles with a passenger, you'll be looking to improve your comfort level.
Thats when you will want a larger bike , and the Road Glide comes into play.

The RG use to be Harleys best kept secret, now the secret is out
Btw.......The Road King is called the Road King, because Stripped Down Touring Bike, wouldn't sell as well............LOL
This happened to me; Wife didn't want old man bike, I did. Settled on Road King, I loved it, after a few short rides she hated it. Then she rode on a friends RGU and lets just say it was over. She apologized and so I bought my 16 Limited a few years later.

pardus (06-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Can't decide: 2017 Road King Special vs. Road Glide