Sponsored by:

To seize or not to seize, thats the question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:34 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
You must have worked in a real big shop. Places I worked everyone did tires. The lot guy might get the some of the smaller bikes, ATVs and drop offs but the mechs usually did the tires on bikes that needed other work.

Not seen to many garage queens but I really don't see how an garage queen can have issues from sitting.. Maybe not enough or some really cheap grease?

Well I spent the first half of my MC mechanic working on Oahu.. Everything there gets wet and rusty, No issues with axles using a good grease..

Heck, about a year ago I when to change the swingarm bearings on my EGC, pivot axle had been greased about 4-5 years before. It slid right out..

If you look at the application web site You'l see the primary ingredient is a high quality grease. It's main function is to act as antiseize up to 400F.

https://www.impomag.com/article/2013...lue-anti-seize

Right there is says grease is good to 400F (though I'd use 250F if by itself. ) If concerned use a moly grease..

The only real problem I have with using the stuff is that it's messy. I do use it on exhaust flange nuts, compression releases, spark-plugs and 02 sensers. Heck back in the leaded fuel / points ignition days I used motor oil on the plugs. Antisleeze wasn't needed because the plug didn't last long enough to evaporate the oil.
That's a cool story Max. I appreciate the info but don't know what I'll do with it.

So for you common every day men, just use anti-seize. It's easy to use, available, and what the job calls for.

The following users liked this post:
smokingjoe (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:22 AM
smokingjoe
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Well thanks men for your opinion, yes I seen it in my service manual, but I know some folks just use Hi temp bearing greas so thought I would see what the majority use.
Best/joe

PS And while I readily admit to being new at wrenching Harleys, I am a long time wrenched on Tractors/farm equipment including my old junky truck[smile].
I have a large well tooled shop so bought the service manual and decided to do my own service work or most of it.
Also I post these questions in the M8 section because I believe thats where the most knowledgable reside.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:33 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

As long as you follow service manual you'll have no worries.

The following users liked this post:
smokingjoe (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by ntg433
+1 on anti-seize, really makes a difference. I bought a tube of the copper especially like it on the derby cover screws and laugh when I hear I need to use blue loctite instead. Never had a derby screw come loose and oh so easy to remove. Anti-seize is your friend!
Same here. I had atleast 2 derby covers get stripped. Sicne then no problem. I laugh when people say they will fall out. First off, you would notice it, 2nd I got 100k of miles and nothing has come loose, and no oill leaked out, well from derby.

Originally Posted by smokingjoe
Also I post these questions in the M8 section because I believe thats where the most knowledgable reside.
I would expect the worse actually. Newest model, will have the greatest amounts of new riders, anecdotally observing.

Axles have been the same for last 100 years, I suspect. Maybe tq values or such have changed, and mounting styles.

Grease my work, the point is some kind of lube. But if manual calls for anti seize, and lots of people use it no problem, I would use anti seize.

I use the copper stuff on on spark plugs.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-12-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I started out worked in a shop in my early days changing tires. Big fun.

You can use grease but about half would be dry as a bone 5 years later (garage queens) and I'd have to bust out a mallet and smash the **** out of it and then change bearings... Good times.

Just use anti-seize. It's thicker and made for the job and available every where.
I can't even get a year out of a tire. How do you go five years without removing the axle?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:08 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

When I changed the wheels on my 17 SGS, neither front nor rear axle had any kind of grease or anti seize on them. I thought that was pretty weird but they both slid right out.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:28 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I can't even get a year out of a tire. How do you go five years without removing the axle?
Garage queens. People who only ride their bikes to bike night and put 3000 miles on the thing a year. Probably like 75% of most Harley owners.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:20 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by smokingjoe
Im new to wrenching on a Harley, So I got a bunch of dumb questions.
Like Im going to yank the wheels of my Road Glide and do some switching wheels, when I get them ready to go back on, you men use Anti-seize or just bearing grease ?
thanks men, I appreciate you, Best/joe
Good for you wrenching on your bike. I would recommend you get the HD service manual. You will understand how it works better and may be able to diagnose any problems down the road by your knowledge gained.

Answer to your question: Anti-seize the wheel axles, like others have said.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Garage queens. People who only ride their bikes to bike night and put 3000 miles on the thing a year. Probably like 75% of most Harley owners.
Never been to a bike night, what is it? I live up north, if I can put 3-4000 miles on it in a year, I'm lucky.