Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Factory ECM lock out (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1181619-factory-ecm-lock-out.html)

Retrop 06-12-2017 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 101ABN_17FLHTK (Post 16329644)
...and each and every time a smart hacker figures out how to break the code

If a man wrote it, a man can crack it. It might take some time though, but it can be done.

todd-67 06-12-2017 11:29 AM

I will believe the hype when I see it. There is so much mis-information regarding the subject.

Steve Cole 06-13-2017 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 101ABN_17FLHTK (Post 16329644)
...and each and every time a smart hacker figures out how to break the code

Yep :)

Wide Open Cycles 06-15-2017 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 16333333)
Yep :)

its what seperates the developers from the followers. Companies like TTS who know how these systems work will be the first to figure out out while companies that don't develop the products they manufacture will habe to wait until the smarter companies do it first.

like anything else HD does I'm sure a new "lock" won't be anything that hasn't already been done in the automotive industry.

redrocket465 06-15-2017 01:12 PM

Well speaking from experience.

texaswiz 06-15-2017 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by redrocket465 (Post 16340452)
Well speaking from experience. My FP3 is no longer compatible with my ultra. I had it in for another issue and they flashed it and locked it out. I noticed it and called vance and Hines. They are aware of this and are currently writing an override but just to let everyone know it could be weeks until that happens and V&H won't notify us. We just have to keep trying. My bike runs great just not as good as when the FP3 was on. I have since ordered Harley street tuner just in case.

If there was ever any doubt that the MOCO was dead serious about making it difficult and nearly impossible to mess with the EPA settings on the new bikes, this should help to alleviate that. Yes, there will be tech savy software developers who will figure out ways to go around the factory settings but what if the Justice Department starts to go after those software crackers like they did the MOCO????

The people who make these tuners are all going to have to be on the same page regarding EPA settings or they are going to get fined. Right now the aftermarket tuner makers include the disclaimer that "This Item Is For Offroad Use Only". The Feds clearly know that this is just subtrafuge and will seek to make an example of someone pretty soon. The big question is who will they go after first?
None of us bikers like these EPA rulings but to sit back and say that it is going to change and everything will revert to the way it was a few years back is just fantasy. And NO, not even Donald Trump is going to be able call off the EPA. Congress could, but they won't.

It won't be many years before internal combustion engines will be a thing of the past. For those of us who long for the potato-potato-potato sound of an old carburated Harley the best we will be able to do is attach a couple of playing cards using clothes pins to the front wheel of our new electric bikes.

Wide Open Cycles 06-15-2017 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by texaswiz (Post 16341133)
If there was ever any doubt that the MOCO was dead serious about making it difficult and nearly impossible to mess with the EPA settings on the new bikes, this should help to alleviate that. Yes, there will be tech savy software developers who will figure out ways to go around the factory settings but what if the Justice Department starts to go after those software crackers like they did the MOCO????

The people who make these tuners are all going to have to be on the same page regarding EPA settings or they are going to get fined. Right now the aftermarket tuner makers include the disclaimer that "This Item Is For Offroad Use Only". The Feds clearly know that this is just subtrafuge and will seek to make an example of someone pretty soon. The big question is who will they go after first?
None of us bikers like these EPA rulings but to sit back and say that it is going to change and everything will revert to the way it was a few years back is just fantasy. And NO, not even Donald Trump is going to be able call off the EPA. Congress could, but they won't.

It won't be many years before internal combustion engines will be a thing of the past. For those of us who long for the potato-potato-potato sound of an old carburated Harley the best we will be able to do is attach a couple of playing cards using clothes pins to the front wheel of our new electric bikes.

You are going to see the aftermarket start leaning towards EPA compliant components and tunes. Would you like to see companies like TTS offer both Closed Course Only and EPA compliant tunes? Stay tuned (pun intended)

texaswiz 06-15-2017 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles (Post 16341911)
You are going to see the aftermarket start leaning towards EPA compliant components and tunes. Would you like to see companies like TTS offer both Closed Course Only and EPA compliant tunes? Stay tuned (pun intended)

Well that might be a possibility in the future.
But, the hat trick will be how are they going to restrict the sale of "Closed Course Tuners" to ONLY those who do not ever ride their bikes on public roads? The easiest way for the government would be to put the onus on the states. Before you can register your motorcycle each year you would have to have an inspection that checks the noise level and the air to fuel ratio at the exhaust pipe using a sniffer of some sort. Short of flat out outlawing any and all "Closed Course Tuners" I am not privy to what the best way to restrict the sale of tuners would be. Anytime the government gets involved in a complex problem like air pollution we are never going to like their solution.
I can not even change the carburetor settings on my new weed eater even though I seldom, if ever, race it on Friday nights.

Prot 06-15-2017 10:33 PM

Convert your M8 to carburetor.:icon_oldskewl:

:icon_lolsign:

Wide Open Cycles 06-16-2017 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by texaswiz (Post 16342040)
Well that might be a possibility in the future.
But, the hat trick will be how are they going to restrict the sale of "Closed Course Tuners" to ONLY those who do not ever ride their bikes on public roads? The easiest way for the government would be to put the onus on the states. Before you can register your motorcycle each year you would have to have an inspection that checks the noise level and the air to fuel ratio at the exhaust pipe using a sniffer of some sort. Short of flat out outlawing any and all "Closed Course Tuners" I am not privy to what the best way to restrict the sale of tuners would be. Anytime the government gets involved in a complex problem like air pollution we are never going to like their solution.
I can not even change the carburetor settings on my new weed eater even though I seldom, if ever, race it on Friday nights.

the tuners themselves aren't illegal, it's what you do with them that can be. Even HD is still allowed to sell a tuning device, since they manufacture the motorcycles they are only allowed to sell EPA/CARB compliant components and the calibrations for the HD street tuner are EPA/CARB compliant as well. An aftermarket tuner manufacturer, such as TTS, can develop calibrations and get the appropriate certifications to be compliant just the same. I can tell you that this process is already in the works. The performance we are seeing with the M8's fitted with compliant parts and tuned with calibrations that, hopefully, will come back from testing certified is very impressive. Exciting things are coming.