Sponsored by:

Heat issue for passenger

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by MovedtoSyracuse
Took the wife for a ride yesterday for the first time on my 2017 CVO street glide. She complained that the heat on her right foot was 25X worse than the 2008 Ultra I had previously. Surprise given the exhaust ports are water cooled coupled with oil cooling. The right floorboard isn't even close to the header pipes. I can only assume that 6 inches below her foot is a catalytic converter which is producing the heat. Anyone heard this complaint from a passenger? Opening the vents on the lower fairings helped a lot, but it seems to me the only viable solution is aftermarket pipes. Would love to hear some comments.
Try this:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...05-26800128--1

Cheaper than a new exhaust system. Doesn't jeopardize warranty.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Try this:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...05-26800128--1

Cheaper than a new exhaust system. Doesn't jeopardize warranty.
Thats just more over priced junk the MoCo should have put on the bike new from the factory. They knew the CAT would be a barn burner.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:34 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,523 Likes on 4,424 Posts

fact of the matter is HD would be Chapter 11 if it weren't for all the **** they make to sell after the sale..cool flow fan, fan assisted oil cooler, hi flow exhaust that relocates cat for less heat..they recognize the need for this stuff but the already extremely expensive bikes would end up just too cost prohibitive for many, and hurt sales if they loaded the stockers up with all the goodies...paying the Harley tax...pretty amazing tho the whole HD culture and how loyal the fan base is and their level of tolerance

Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mjwebb
fact of the matter is HD would be Chapter 11 if it weren't for all the **** they make to sell after the sale..cool flow fan, fan assisted oil cooler, hi flow exhaust that relocates cat for less heat..they recognize the need for this stuff but the already extremely expensive bikes would end up just too cost prohibitive for many, and hurt sales if they loaded the stockers up with all the goodies...paying the Harley tax...pretty amazing tho the whole HD culture and how loyal the fan base is and their level of tolerance
Speaking of the new high dollar high flow exhaust system with the cats in the mufflers. Do you really think those cats really work? A cat does not even wake up / light off until they hit 500F. And don't do there full job until there above 1300 degrees and up. How did HD pull that BS off with the EPA? When it was clear Cats in mufflers were not good enough. Even lean burn can't make the numbers work.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:52 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by psyshack
Speaking of the new high dollar high flow exhaust system with the cats in the mufflers. Do you really think those cats really work? A cat does not even wake up / light off until they hit 500F. And don't do there full job until there above 1300 degrees and up. How did HD pull that BS off with the EPA? When it was clear Cats in mufflers were not good enough. Even lean burn can't make the numbers work.
I agree, a CAT is still a CAT..just an attempt to relocate excessive heat...EPA stranglehold unfortunately is here to stay..I read somewhere that the percentage of motorcycles vs automobiles that contributed to emitting emissions was so low it was barely measurable (not hard to understand, just look at an LA freeway gridlock picture)..wish they'd just give the mc's a kitchen pass..so basically. as you know as well as any, just comes down to warranty tolerance..still many that say screw it, tuning it my way and to hell with them

Last edited by mjwebb; 06-21-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:02 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I agree, a CAT is still a CAT..just an attempt to relocate excessive heat...EPA stranglehold unfortunately is here to stay..I read somewhere that the percentage of motorcycles vs automobiles that contributed to emitting emissions was so low it was barely measurable (not hard to understand, just look at an LA freeway gridlock picture)..wish they'd just give the mc's a kitchen pass
But how did they get the cert's for the muffler cats through the EPA? There is no way the cats in the mufflers are going to work right and be free flowing. They will never get hot enough unless you ride WOT on a lean burn tune to be effective. And lean tunes mean high NOX. And didn't HD at one point put the cats in the mufflers and that turned out to be not good enough to meet pollution standards.

I don't want to see the **** concerning epa and harley sucking each other off to screw the consumer nor the idiot fed judge thats the pivot man.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

But how did they get the cert's for the muffler cats through the EPA? There is no way the cats in the mufflers are going to work right and be free flowing. They will never get hot enough unless you ride WOT on a lean burn tune to be effective. And lean tunes mean high NOX. And didn't HD at one point put the cats in the mufflers and that turned out to be not good enough to meet pollution standards.

I don't want to see the **** concerning epa and harley sucking each other off to screw the consumer nor the idiot fed judge thats the pivot man.
who knows. lobbyists, politicians... I guess...it's a real mess, just like the breather goop our engines are forced to have to ingest..sorry OP, didn't intend to go on a tangent but it is kind of related to your topic and hope you get the heat issue sorted out

Old 06-21-2017, 11:29 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

You 2 feel better now? The OP wanted suggestions for keeping the heat off his passenger.

You guys go into a tirade about EPA and how cats work/don't work & from the comments it's pretty clear there's only a vague understanding of catalyst technology between you.

Back to the OP's question; the reviews I've read about the CoolFlow fan have all been positive regarding relieving heat for the rider/passenger so why are you both so ready to write it off as junk, implying that it doesn't work?

Old 06-21-2017, 11:43 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hammz
You 2 feel better now? The OP wanted suggestions for keeping the heat off his passenger.

You guys go into a tirade about EPA and how cats work/don't work & from the comments it's pretty clear there's only a vague understanding of catalyst technology between you.

Back to the OP's question; the reviews I've read about the CoolFlow fan have all been positive regarding relieving heat for the rider/passenger so why are you both so ready to write it off as junk, implying that it doesn't work?
Hey pivot man... We were just chatting. Sorry if it jacked the thread. I support you supporting HD's over priced China solution.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Hey pivot man... We were just chatting. Sorry if it jacked the thread. I support you supporting HD's over priced China solution.

Of course you do. You bought an M8 too, right?

Quick Reply: Heat issue for passenger