Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something to check after dealer service

Old 06-22-2017, 06:32 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

OK. One more idea. Go to your H-D website, scroll to the bottom, find & select Site Map link. Under the Owners column, fink & select Owners Manuals. For me, this links directly to the VIN input screen of the Service Information Portal.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:36 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Might I add that if you don't want your bike to have a pressure wash, have the service dept write "no wash" on your order. Most places will power wash automatically after a service, but I don't like to use it on my bikes.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Rokinrider
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

I get loaners from my dealer when bike is in for service. Used freshly serviced bike 2014 limited, halfway home I smelled burning oil. I don't care because it's a loaner, pull into my driveway as soon as I get off it I have a big puddle of oil. I throw cardboard under it and call them to let them know we have a big problem. Freshly serviced bike had only one screw holding the derby cover on, this limited was trashed with oil all over the saddle bags, exhaust, tour pack, it was bad. Someone didn't torque the derby cover bolts. They come get it and bring my freshly serviced bike home. Needless to say I double check all plugs and bolts just for peace of mind. Like I told the service manager, I hate to see a young tech get fired even though it could have ended worse. I just wanted the young fella to clean that loaner before you fire him if that's what your going to do.
I never followed up other than I'm back to a pre flight inspection on anything I throw a leg on.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (06-22-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:25 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Go here for on line service manuals:
http://https://serviceinfo.harley-da....com/sip/index

Use the Customer VIN Lookup option.

Hammz, For some reason the links you are posting have one too many "HTTP://"

Try this link
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

The following 2 users liked this post by 14GuineaPig:
MotoJockey (06-23-2017), Nickatnyt (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,460 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
Good work bro. Consumer law in Oz says something like only qualified mechanics can do servicing and maintain factory warranty......any qualified tech, doesn't have to be a dealer. I'll do mine once my 2 years are up.....are full service manuals available online?
I love Brisbane. I head down there a 5-12 weeks a year for work. I'm trying to work up the testicular fortitude to rent a HD some day, but you guys driving on a different side of the road scares me off.

Back on topic... I get your point. I do the same thing... While under warranty, I let the dealer do the service so if something is found broken, it's already there for them to fix. If I did the service and find something broken, I still have to take it to the dealer for warranty work.

Once my rides are off warranty, I do all of my own work short of splitting cases or busting tires.

Edited: If I do take it to the dealer, I always QC their work afterwards. Can't tell you how many loose bolts and things I've found over the years.

Last edited by Piloto; 06-23-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Just so happens I'm dealing with the same bullshit right now. 5000 mile service. Checked the oil hose clamps per recall notice. Got the bike home and the next day saw oil drippage on garage floor. Looked under the bike and it was the Exon Valdez under there. Soaked from the oil cooler back. Dealer picked up the bike this morning, just called me saying they cleaned it off and ran it on the dyno and no leak. Just some oil spill from the filter change. Said that normally the porter washes the bikes but I said I didn't want the wash.
So I asked if he had looked at it when it came in, and he said no and I told him he didn't know what he was talking about. I declined the "wash" because the bike was spotless and didn't need washed, and if he explained that the tech was going to dump a half quart of oil on the front of the bike and it would drip for days I sure would have said ok. Goddamn it, I'm so pissed at them right now. Also mentioned the oily fingerprints on the tank and seat. All this adds up to sloppy work and it's not good enough for what they charge. Me and the service department are going to have to come to an understanding about my expectations on the quality of their work.
Am I expecting too much? Don't think so, I know a hack technician when I see one. Whew. I'm still pissed lol.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig

Try this link
Thnxs mate that link works.

Originally Posted by Piloto
I love Brisbane. I head down there a 5-12 weeks a year for work. I'm trying to work up the testicular fortitude to rent a HD some day, but you guys driving on a different side of the road scares me off.
Let me know when you're coming next time and I can sort a ride with a few mates.....you'll get the hang of riding on the RHS pretty quick
I find it no drama driving in the USA......

Originally Posted by Michaelpost
Just so happens I'm dealing with the same bullshit right now. 5000 mile service. Checked the oil hose clamps per recall notice. Got the bike home and the next day saw oil drippage on garage floor. Looked under the bike and it was the Exon Valdez under there. Soaked from the oil cooler back. Dealer picked up the bike this morning, just called me saying they cleaned it off and ran it on the dyno and no leak. Just some oil spill from the filter change. Said that normally the porter washes the bikes but I said I didn't want the wash.
So I asked if he had looked at it when it came in, and he said no and I told him he didn't know what he was talking about. I declined the "wash" because the bike was spotless and didn't need washed, and if he explained that the tech was going to dump a half quart of oil on the front of the bike and it would drip for days I sure would have said ok. Goddamn it, I'm so pissed at them right now. Also mentioned the oily fingerprints on the tank and seat. All this adds up to sloppy work and it's not good enough for what they charge. Me and the service department are going to have to come to an understanding about my expectations on the quality of their work.
Am I expecting too much? Don't think so, I know a hack technician when I see one. Whew. I'm still pissed lol.
Yeah it's pretty fn poor given the prices dealers charge but I doubt they'll do it again. Seems to be more difficult to catch residue with this new motor not sure why really....giving a **** might be all the extra care they need!

Old 06-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig

Try this link
Sorry. Just did a copy, paste into insert link tool. Didn't proof it.