Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me...

Old 06-26-2017, 09:48 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Is it just me...

Ok have heard a lot of different slip ons for the M8. Honestly, I can not tell the difference between ANY brand. In person or on youtube, they all really sound EXACTLY the same to me. Is it just me or has anyone else came to the same conclusion?

Old 06-26-2017, 09:58 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

I've noticed there seems to be similar observations and comments here as of late..early on I looked into SuperTrapp Kerkers and found this clip, which made me want the Slash for their deeper lower tone..but just went the safe route with the SE Canons to compliment the SE Stage 1 completion...it's worked out great performance wise, can't say the sound is exactly what I wanted but has grown on me and actually like them now

Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

not you.. I went through the same thing when I was looking into aftermarket exhaust. All of the popular brand mufflers sounded the same unless you completely removed the baffles. I really couldn't find anything that wowed me..

Then when I swapped the head pipe for catless headers things changed. It made a huge difference. Even the SE street cannons, which are now on a shelf, sound great with the V&H power duals. I just might swap out the Eliminator 400 mufflers for the street cannons.. (because of the slant cut end pipe that I believe matches better with the stretched saddlebags)

Old 06-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Most if them do sound very similar especially if the catalytic converters are still intact.

One set of slip ons that did sort of stand out when I was listening to you tube clips is the S&S MK45.

Regardless the M8 does have its own sound that is probably more like a vrod than a shovelhead.

Last edited by Prot; 06-26-2017 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (06-26-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
Ok have heard a lot of different slip ons for the M8. Honestly, I can not tell the difference between ANY brand. In person or on youtube, they all really sound EXACTLY the same to me. Is it just me or has anyone else came to the same conclusion?
M8 owners keep searching for that old sound they had on previous twinkies,but hard to duplicate with the M8. A camshaft change,new true dual header pipe with the slip on's might get you there.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:53 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

One thing I can say, the S&S MK45's will change over time. I have 3000 miles on mine now and they are deeper and slightly louder as the packing broke in. Plenty loud for me and I like the sound of the M8 personally. Also agree, they bark nice when you whack the throttle.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I've noticed there seems to be similar observations and comments here as of late..early on I looked into SuperTrapp Kerkers and found this clip, which made me want the Slash for their deeper lower tone..but just went the safe route with the SE Canons to compliment the SE Stage 1 completion...it's worked out great performance wise, can't say the sound is exactly what I wanted but has grown on me and actually like them now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rfWJRXSDBo
I have a friend with Kerker Stouts on his M8 and the sound difference is quit noticeable between it and my M8 with RC's. I think you would have been very happy had you gone with the Kerkers over the street cannons, not even in the same ball park but as long as you are happy thats all that matters.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 10:47 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
not you.. I went through the same thing when I was looking into aftermarket exhaust. All of the popular brand mufflers sounded the same unless you completely removed the baffles. I really couldn't find anything that wowed me..

Then when I swapped the head pipe for catless headers things changed. It made a huge difference. Even the SE street cannons, which are now on a shelf, sound great with the V&H power duals. I just might swap out the Eliminator 400 mufflers for the street cannons.. (because of the slant cut end pipe that I believe matches better with the stretched saddlebags)
Did you ever try decatting the stock pipe before you put the power duals on? Just wondering because I'm not all that happy with the decatted stocker, thinking about the power duals but would really like to know if its worth the gamble or will sound the same.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:14 AM
hamdizle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the RCX 4.5 mufflers....They sound great with the stock headers. Low tone with a nice hit to it at idle. They also have a stepped up baffle which is supposed to help with low rpm torque loss... There's some good sound bites on youtube.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:37 AM
bigsteve113
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't fool yourself into thinking slip-ons will cure all you sound woes. They will improve the sound though. In my case I used V&H twin Slash Rounds. I find a much better improvement in the sound, but certainly not obnoxious. that was fine with me since that's what I was looking for, for this particular bike.

Also, here's a tip. When listening to comparisons on videos, make sure to use ear buds !!!! That makes a major difference and gives you a much clearer picture of what they really sound like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it just me...