Sponsored by:

They Found This in My Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:35 AM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
Default They Found This in My Oil Pump

Now what ? First motor was replaced 2 weeks after I bought the bike in Sept. It only had 700 miles on it when the oil pump failed because
of metal shavings left in at assembly. This replacement motor only has 3000 miles on it, now this. Should I let them put a 3rd Motor in it ? It's already had 2 engines Self Destruct, the original and the replacement.
My vacation starts in 4 days and this $30,000 Mistake is again unable to be ridden.

Update!!!!! Picking up the bike this afternoon with new engine and torque cam installed. Been 35 days since I dropped it off for this second replacement motor. Let's hope the 3rd
engine in this frame is the one that won't self destruct. Fingers crossed. Truly has been an ordeal brothers. Those of you lucky enough to still be on your original motor better thank the Harley gods
because this just pure luck your still riding. At least the test ride they took today shows a very strong motor according to the mechanic riding it. I will let you know what I think after I get a chance to put
some miles on it this weekend and next. Gonna keep it under 3500rpms for a few hundred miles with an occasional trip to 4 or 5000rpms after that. Buying the street tuner also to keep it under warranty and do some
auto tunes for the VE Tables. Of course now I have to learn how to use it because I'm used to my power vision auto tune feature not the street tuner. Bike will be 100% Harley installed parts and tune till Sept 2018 when
warranty expires. Way to afraid to do anything after market to this drivetrain. I have a Fuel Moto 2-1-2 header that's going to sit on a shelf for another year grr!! Street Cannons and the new K&N filter in stock air box along with the torque cam and stock header, is it on this motor till the warranty expires for me. Oh, and stronger clutch springs that I haven't had a chance to use yet with the AIM variable clutch I bought just B4 this all happened. Will the AIM VP and clutch springs void warranty? God only knows. Maybe that will wait a year too.

Attached Thumbnails They Found This in My Oil Pump-img_0546.jpg   They Found This in My Oil Pump-img_0545.jpg  

Last edited by StevieRay59; 08-01-2017 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-27-2017, 02:42 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Hopefully this is an isolated issue
you should be covered by warranty

Old 06-27-2017, 06:27 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

wow, when did this happen? I know you must be very disappointed. I just bought my 17 ultra limited this month. it has 355 miles on it and i have a 2 year warranty. Im thinking of contacting dealer and extending it?

wow westland michigan, small world i have friends there.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-15-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:14 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
wow, when did this happen? I know you must be very disappointed. I just bought my 17 ultra limited this month. it has 355 miles on it and i have a 2 year warranty. Im thinking of contacting dealer and extending it?
That would be a good idea with a new M8 if you have the funds.

The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieRay59
Now what ? First motor was replaced 2 weeks after I bought the bike in Sept. It only had 700 miles on it when the oil pump failed because
of metal shavings left in at assembly. This replacement motor only has 3000 miles on it, now this. So taking it to dealer today and see what
they plan to do about it. Should I let them put a 3rd Motor in it ? It's already had 2 engines Self Destruct, the original and the replacement.
The M8 motor is Worst crap Harley ever sold, My vacation starts in 4 days and this $30,000 Mistake is again unable to be ridden
"So taking it to dealer today and see what they plan to do about it." ... So who found it and and why was it "there" and not at the dealer being torn down/inspected ??

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 3,789 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieRay59
of metal shavings left in at assembly. This replacement motor only has 3000 miles on it, now this. So taking it to dealer today and see what
they plan to do about it. Should I let them put a 3rd Motor in it ? It's already had 2 engines Self Destruct, the original and the replacement.
The M8 motor is Worst crap Harley ever sold, My vacation starts in 4 days and this $30,000 Mistake is again unable to be ridden
Not sure I exactly understand your post when you state taking it to him. Does the dealer have the bike?

Why I ask is I do not understand physically how a bolt like that could get into the oil pump and a gerotor type pump would do those types of marks. Appears someone is blowing smoke.

Did not see Uncle Larry's post since I was looking at a pump and working on this post but think his engineering background sees something wrong here too. Those gashes on the thread side of the face of the hex did not come from a pump. Now it is possible that the picture is not to scale and the bolt is very small like on the 10-24 or 3/16".

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-27-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I find that very strange. did you find that bolt, or did they? where was it found? in the oil pan or stuck inside the oil pump? at first it sounds like you found it, took a picture of it, and are now on your way to take it back to the dealer.. but your title says they found it. confusing.. not sure what the real story is. if there is one..

Old 06-27-2017, 08:52 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,077 Likes on 3,320 Posts

I'm very interested in how a bolt can find its way inside a pump like that. I must not be reading the OP correctly because how you can take pictures of it disassembled ,before the dealer takes it apart?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

That is a strange picture all right. But, this is the internet and some bizarre things show up here. I can't figure out if he took it apart at home and discovered this before taking it in to the dealer or not. If he did this at home then he might have a little trouble convincing the dealer that it happened like he said, especially if he is already on this second engine. Maybe we will hear more on this.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks like the cam tensioner screw??

Quick Reply: They Found This in My Oil Pump