Sponsored by:

2017 CVO 117 M8 Stage 4 Sumping issue...HD addressing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:47 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I figured I would start this thread for anyone dealing with an oil sumping issue related to the installation of a Stage 3 or 4 performance kit on a new M8 bike. This might be a good thread for others with higher hp sumping issues on the new M8s to share their experiences.
good idear, 'sumping' is definitely going on here

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 06:41 AM
HDRider17
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Sorry to hear about your bike troubles. But, This reminds me of the Blown up M8 posted all over the forums that turned out to be too much loctite and plugged up breather bolts and engine was not blown up at all. Unless I missed where your engines have actually been found to have a sumping issue, this hysteria is a disservice. However its your topic and you can play it anyway you want. I hope your bikes are fixed asap and as an M8 owner I look forward to reading what the fix was.
You are working on assumptions yourself here. I know for a fact it is sumping on my M8. Dealer verified it. Also verified it is a known issue with the stage 3 and 4 kits for these new bikes. My entire top end had to be replaced from damage done to motor from not getting enough oil. I could hear the metal pinging coming from the top end and lifters, etc. when I took it in the first time. The second time, the moment i noticed the loss of power, I limped the bike home and left it alone as to hopefully not damage the engine this time around.

I see no hysteria here, just facts.

For the rest of us, please keep posting updates. Good information so far from everyone else.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:49 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by HDRider17
You are working on assumptions yourself here. I know for a fact it is sumping on my M8. Dealer verified it. Also verified it is a known issue with the stage 3 and 4 kits for these new bikes. My entire top end had to be replaced from damage done to motor from not getting enough oil. I could hear the metal pinging coming from the top end and lifters, etc. when I took it in the first time. The second time, the moment i noticed the loss of power, I limped the bike home and left it alone as to hopefully not damage the engine this time around.

I see no hysteria here, just facts.

For the rest of us, please keep posting updates. Good information so far from everyone else.
So is at all stage 3 and 4 M8 bikes or only the twincooled stage 3 and 4?

Old 06-29-2017, 08:35 AM
henryg
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. Dealer and MoCo have been quick to respond to the issue from my perspective.
Same here up in Canada. My Dealer as always has been great and MoCo have been responsive and supportive.

H

Old 06-29-2017, 08:59 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,413 Likes on 1,566 Posts

It is only some of the bikes with the stage III or IV, they do not all do it. I know of a few that have failed and also know of several problems with the cylinders in the Stage III and IV kits. Several dealers have refused to put them together as the piston will stick in the cylinder when checking. HD told them to just put the kits on as they needed to be checked in torque plates, not on the bench. One local dealer here put three kits in and all three have failed. Another dealership did one it failed and HD sent new parts to fix it. The new parts were sent to a machine shop to straighten the cylinders out and then the build done. That one is running and has over 2000 miles with no issues and is a water cooled CVO.

So there is most likely many things at play here and I do not believe HD is sure what is going on. Until they solve there quality issue on parts and assembly it's going to be hard to solve.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:10 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So is at all stage 3 and 4 M8 bikes or only the twincooled stage 3 and 4?
This is what I would like to know as well.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:28 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
good idear, 'sumping' is definitely going on here
I see what ya did here,LOL.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I figured I would start this thread for anyone dealing with an oil sumping issue related to the installation of a Stage 3 or 4 performance kit on a new M8 bike.
This might be a good thread for others with higher hp sumping issues on the new M8s to share their experiences.
Heatwave, thank you for starting this thread! This sounds exactly what is going on with my 2017 CVO Street Glide and I don't have a stage 3 or 4 kit. I went for a ride with the wife up in the mountains. i am 250 and the wife is 140, so quite a load on the bike. Was pushing it hard up a hill (3500-4000 RPMs). Seemed like no issues, we crested the mountain and just on the other side is a restaurant. Ate dinner and came out an hour later. Bike started fine, she hopped on and we headed home. Right out of the restaurant is the hill to get back up the mountain. Right away I felt a problem and said to the wife something is wrong. I have no torque. We pulled over. Turned off the bike (I had no idea what was going on and restarted) Back up the hill, but still no power. We made it to the top and rode home. I could sort of tell the bike had no power but with all that has been going on (transmision oil transfer issues) I was trying to blame my paranoia on what I was feeling.

Here is where our stories get a little different. When I got home the bike sounded like it was coming apart. I could hear the lifter??(Im guessing) making quite the racket. I shut it down in the driveway and went inside to get my gear off. Major depression was kicking in here with my 40K investment and now a second problem. Well I came back out after the bike cooled, started it up and it was quiet again. I am like what the heck. The next day I brought it to the dealer (on a trailer).

My guess (and it's totally a guess) is the noise I was hearing from the motor was the lifters not totally being pumped up. Maybe someone that knows more about the engine can chime in why my bike got noisy and then went back to quiet after it cooled. Lifters? Pistons too hot?

Heatwave, did your bike get noisy at all like this when it was sumping?

Thanks again for starting this threat. It's a bit of relief to hear there may be a fix in the works or coming (assuming I have the same problem).

Old 06-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
Heatwave, thank you for starting this thread! This sounds exactly what is going on with my 2017 CVO Street Glide and I don't have a stage 3 or 4 kit. I went for a ride with the wife up in the mountains. i am 250 and the wife is 140, so quite a load on the bike. Was pushing it hard up a hill (3500-4000 RPMs). Seemed like no issues, we crested the mountain and just on the other side is a restaurant. Ate dinner and came out an hour later. Bike started fine, she hopped on and we headed home. Right out of the restaurant is the hill to get back up the mountain. Right away I felt a problem and said to the wife something is wrong. I have no torque. We pulled over. Turned off the bike (I had no idea what was going on and restarted) Back up the hill, but still no power. We made it to the top and rode home. I could sort of tell the bike had no power but with all that has been going on (transmision oil transfer issues) I was trying to blame my paranoia on what I was feeling.

Here is where our stories get a little different. When I got home the bike sounded like it was coming apart. I could hear the lifter??(Im guessing) making quite the racket. I shut it down in the driveway and went inside to get my gear off. Major depression was kicking in here with my 40K investment and now a second problem. Well I came back out after the bike cooled, started it up and it was quiet again. I am like what the heck. The next day I brought it to the dealer (on a trailer).

My guess (and it's totally a guess) is the noise I was hearing from the motor was the lifters not totally being pumped up. Maybe someone that knows more about the engine can chime in why my bike got noisy and then went back to quiet after it cooled. Lifters? Pistons too hot?

Heatwave, did your bike get noisy at all like this when it was sumping?

Thanks again for starting this threat. It's a bit of relief to hear there may be a fix in the works or coming (assuming I have the same problem).
I never heard any difference in engine sound (other than an inability to rev to higher rpms) with my bike so I really can't speak to the "noise" issue. But something for others to try if their engine "bogs down" after riding hard, try finding a safe spot to park and let the engine idle in neutral on the kickstand for a few mins, maybe 5-10mins. If you are then able to ride the bike with all your power returned, then I think its a fair assessment that you are likely having an oil sumping issue and the engine is struggling to rid the crankcase of oil at the rate that its coming in at higher rpms. The bike at idle is allowing the sump side to catch up. But the issue is likely to return if you rev the engine hard or load it up at high speeds or with a full load.

What did your dealer say after looking at the bike?

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-30-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I never heard any difference in engine sound (other than an inability to rev to higher rpms) with my bike so I really can't speak to that issue. But something to try next time you feel the engine "bog down", try finding a safe spot to park and let the engine idle in neutral on the kickstand for a few mins, maybe 5-10mins. If you are then able to ride the bike with all your power returned, then I think its a fair assessment that you are likely having an oil sumping issue and the engine is struggling to rid the crankcase of oil at the rate that its coming in. The bike at idle is allowing the sump side to catch up. But the issue is likely to return if you rev the engine hard or load it up at high speeds or a full load.

What did your dealer say after looking at the bike?
Dealer put it on the lift and found only a few oz of oil in the crankcase. The question is me letting it idle for a few minutes after I came back out of the house that night, then putting it on the trailer, then the dealer riding it on the lift, was that enough to pull the oil back out of the crankcase?

Last edited by Macrunner; 06-29-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017 CVO 117 M8 Stage 4 Sumping issue...HD addressing