Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 CVO 117 M8 Stage 4 Sumping issue...HD addressing

Old 02-09-2018, 05:06 PM
CageyKG
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
So I just got the new water cooled pump and here is the casting number for the newest pumps

Casting # 62400176 Oil Cooled
Casting # 62400180 Water Cooled

These are the numbers on the casting only, to help identify that your not getting an old one but, they could pull the same as they have been and make new modifications with out updating the casting number or part numbers in the future.
Or any idea when they'll be listed online for order? I can't find them anywhere.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Originally Posted by CageyKG
Or any idea when they'll be listed online for order? I can't find them anywhere.
You wont be able to order the casting only.. Need to order the assembled part..

The following users liked this post:
CageyKG (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,408 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Any obvious differences from the old casting #s?
I think so but it's all in what you know before hand. Just about every passageway is changed in one way or another

Old 02-11-2018, 10:30 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
So I just got the new water cooled pump and here is the casting number for the newest pumps

Casting # 62400176 Oil Cooled
Casting # 62400180 Water Cooled

These are the numbers on the casting only, to help identify that your not getting an old one but, they could pull the same as they have been and make new modifications with out updating the casting number or part numbers in the future.
Steve, there are a couple date marks on the pump using dots in a 12-space pie. Mine looks to have been done 11/17 from what I can tell (11 of 12 dots). Can you tell me how yours looks?

Old 02-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

I cannot look as they are in engines now. The problem I have is next to the date wheel is a flat area and they add dots there as well. Not sure what all it means but for awhile we had to count the dots beside the date wheel too. I am sure that when it started they was some rime to what they did but anymore it's anyone's best guess, I know the factory rep that was at one dealer could not tell when I laid them in front of him!

Old 02-25-2018, 11:55 AM
BearBACA
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I own. 2017 Road Glide Ultra Limited with Stage 4 kit. With water cool heads. I was wondering if any one else is on there 2nd oil pump. I have had this problem 3 times now and HD is replacing the oil pump again. I am getting pissed over this since I dumped so much money in to the bike and when I want to ride I cant because it is in the shop.. The first oil pump went out at 2500 miles second oil pump went out at 6500 miles. Is there a high performance oil pump that can replace the OEM and keep up with the engine. I have few friends that have the Milwaukee 8 with no engine upgrades and there is no sumping issues. I was told it is only engines with the stage 4 kit.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:21 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by BearBACA
This is what I own. 2017 Road Glide Ultra Limited with Stage 4 kit. With water cool heads. I was wondering if any one else is on there 2nd oil pump. I have had this problem 3 times now and HD is replacing the oil pump again. I am getting pissed over this since I dumped so much money in to the bike and when I want to ride I cant because it is in the shop.. The first oil pump went out at 2500 miles second oil pump went out at 6500 miles. Is there a high performance oil pump that can replace the OEM and keep up with the engine. I have few friends that have the Milwaukee 8 with no engine upgrades and there is no sumping issues. I was told it is only engines with the stage 4 kit.
If you will read back in this and other threads you will find sumping occurs in all M8 engines. Not just stage IV ones.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

If they have determined that your engine has been sumping (I assume it has since your dealer has replaced the oil pump), I would ask if they have followed all the steps in Service Bulletin 1450. You may have engine damage such as scored cylinder walls, scored rod bearings or damaged lifters that you aren't aware of and may not fail until you are out of warranty. If they had followed all the steps in SB1450, you may be due a new engine vs just replacement of the oil pump.

I don't mean to scare you but its best to ensure the dealer has precisely followed the steps in SB1450 vs just replacing the oil pump once engine sumping is suspected.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

When you say the oil pump went out, did the oil light come on? or was it sumping?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 PM
George Bryce
Cruiser
Received 206 Likes on 83 Posts

Sorry for your trouble. How and when do you know the oil pump "went out?"
If you have poor ring seal, 20 different oil pumps wont fix it. Just saying.
Early M8s smoked and burned oil. Stage kits have real bad fit in the cylinder bores. Why would the original cylinders be better, than the stage kits?
Again, if you lost the oil pump, it will lose psi, in or/and out.
Sorry for you pain, it is a bad deal.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (02-25-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 CVO 117 M8 Stage 4 Sumping issue...HD addressing