Sponsored by:

Knock in primary

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 06:51 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Knock in primary

I noticed a slight knocking sound in the primary on my 17 Ultra Limited over the weekend. It wasnt very loud but I noticed it when I got home and was parking the bike. Is that normal? I dont think my 10 Ultra knocked like that, but maybe. The bike has 500 miles on it and has not had 1000 mile service, obviously. Just want to know it that knock is normal. Not real loud, but noticeable. I work around rotating equipment all day, in the Navy we were told we'd notice an issue with equipment based on sound, the chief was right. Is it normal?

Old 07-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
I noticed a slight knocking sound in the primary on my 17 Ultra Limited over the weekend. It wasnt very loud but I noticed it when I got home and was parking the bike. Is that normal? I dont think my 10 Ultra knocked like that, but maybe. The bike has 500 miles on it and has not had 1000 mile service, obviously. Just want to know it that knock is normal. Not real loud, but noticeable. I work around rotating equipment all day, in the Navy we were told we'd notice an issue with equipment based on sound, the chief was right. Is it normal?
Have the same in my 17 limited. Only when starting up cold though. It sounds like those clacking ***** on a string from the 80's. not a methodical clack, but intermittent and not synchronous. it goes away when warmed up or is not noticeable.

Smitty

Old 07-03-2017, 09:01 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Smittyjf
Have the same in my 17 limited. Only when starting up cold though. It sounds like those clacking ***** on a string from the 80's. not a methodical clack, but intermittent and not synchronous. it goes away when warmed up or is not noticeable.

Smitty

Yeah, a definite knock.... My motor was warm, just came back from a ride. I wonder if its light gear oil they put in the primary from the factory. Harley formula plus is what i ran in my 10 ultra, the primary was as quiet as a church mouse.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Yeah, a definite knock.... My motor was warm, just came back from a ride. I wonder if its light gear oil they put in the primary from the factory. Harley formula plus is what i ran in my 10 ultra, the primary was as quiet as a church mouse.
CVO's come with SYN3 factory fill..all others ship with Formula +

The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:22 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

I changed the oil on my 10 and used redline primary oil. It made a hell of a lot of noise in the primary. I dont want to make this an oil thread..... I switched back to the harley formula plus and it quieted it down. Im just wondering if that knock is normal. When my dealer opens, Ill talk to the service manager. Just wondering if anyone else has that...

Old 07-03-2017, 09:57 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I changed the oil on my 10 and used redline primary oil. It made a hell of a lot of noise in the primary. I dont want to make this an oil thread..... I switched back to the harley formula plus and it quieted it down. Im just wondering if that knock is normal. When my dealer opens, Ill talk to the service manager. Just wondering if anyone else has that...
I recently had a sickening knock sound but it was not on the primary side, it was in the area behind the 6 speed cover. Sounded like a hammer hitting on the cover. The past two days of riding it hasn't made the noise again so I'm not sure.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:10 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Quik
I recently had a sickening knock sound but it was not on the primary side, it was in the area behind the 6 speed cover. Sounded like a hammer hitting on the cover. The past two days of riding it hasn't made the noise again so I'm not sure.
ohhh boy.... I will be seeing my bike tonight. Its in Michigan. Im sure it was the primary for me. Ill have to double check.

well, I spoke with my dealer. They want me to bring it in. On wednesday I will bring it in so they can listen to it. Hopefully, its nothing and Ill be on my way.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-17-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:06 PM
sto
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Knock in primary.

I had the same issue with my '15 RK and with my new '17 RK. It's the primary chain adjuster needing to go up a notch. Shift through 3 or 4 gears quickly keeping the RPM's at the max for your break-in miles. If that doesn't free the adjuster, slowly come to a stop in second gear and don't pull in the clutch till the engine lugs but before the engine stalls. The first method should do the trick.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:53 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Mine made a rattling noise this past weekend. The wife even noticed it on the back. Told her to hold on. A bit of shock and aww to the primary made it adjust and noise is gone.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 07:52 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

When I finally got to see the bike, it turned out to be the driver side floorboard. Has a lock nut on it and some play. With the motor running it makes a nice harmonic knocking sound, that keeps perfect time...... crisis averted.

The following 2 users liked this post by TomcatCV62:
rjjj629 (07-09-2017), TwiZted Biker (07-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Knock in primary