Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does upgrading my M8 with non Screaming Eagle parts void my warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 11:27 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Short answer is noooooooo. It doesnt void your warrenty. My last bike i added vh pipes,intake,and powervision tuner. An i done the install myself. Only thing the dealer said was cool. An they took that same bike in on trade when i bought my street glide and are now selling it with remaining factory warrenty. Granted some dealers are different then others when it comes to mods. But to say after market parts voids any an all warrenty is bs.
If you add after market parts sure the after market parts arent covered by the moco warrenty. Neither is side affects from poor parts and install. But if you add say pipes to your bike and your radio quits your still covered. As long as the parts dont effect other components there shouldnt be a problem. If there is then you need to find another dealer. Hell my dealer dont even tune bikes with a screaming eagle tuners. They use dyno jet powervision. Why? Because they think its better. As do i. After market parts dont void warrentys. If it was like this everywhere vance and hines would be out of buiness. Along with many others. Qaulity parts and install shouldnt ever be a problem. Harley knows most people aint gonna keep the stock exhaust. An as long as it is installed correctly no problemo. Jmo and my expereince with the moco warrenty.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:58 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
Short answer is noooooooo. It doesnt void your warrenty. My last bike i added vh pipes,intake,and powervision tuner. An i done the install myself. Only thing the dealer said was cool. An they took that same bike in on trade when i bought my street glide and are now selling it with remaining factory warrenty. Granted some dealers are different then others when it comes to mods. But to say after market parts voids any an all warrenty is bs.
If you add after market parts sure the after market parts arent covered by the moco warrenty. Neither is side affects from poor parts and install. But if you add say pipes to your bike and your radio quits your still covered. As long as the parts dont effect other components there shouldnt be a problem. If there is then you need to find another dealer. Hell my dealer dont even tune bikes with a screaming eagle tuners. They use dyno jet powervision. Why? Because they think its better. As do i. After market parts dont void warrentys. If it was like this everywhere vance and hines would be out of buiness. Along with many others. Qaulity parts and install shouldnt ever be a problem. Harley knows most people aint gonna keep the stock exhaust. An as long as it is installed correctly no problemo. Jmo and my expereince with the moco warrenty.
Your last bike wasn't a 2017. Look at the EPA lawsuit settlement and read the warranty info in your owners manual. Things changed for the 2017 and newer models.

All things said, we all can interprete what we read diffrently.

This is from a 2017 owners manual:

EPA noise regulations require that the following statements be included in the Owner's Manual.

EPA Regulations

TAMPERING WITH NOISE CONTROL SYSTEM PROHIBITED: Federal law prohibits the following acts or the causing thereof: (1) The removal or rendering inoperative by any person other than for purposes of maintenance, repair, or replacement of any device or element of design incorporated into any new vehicle for the purpose of noise control prior to its sale or delivery to the ultimate purchaser or while it is in use, or (2) the use of the vehicle after such device or element of design has been removed or rendered inoperative by any person.

AMONG THOSE ACTS PRESUMED TO CONSTITUTE TAMPERING ARE THE FOLLOWING:
1. Replacing the muffler(s) and/or the entire exhaust system with parts not certified to be noise legal for street use.
2. Removing or modifying the muffler internal baffles in any way.
3. Replacing the air intake/cleaner assembly with one not certified to be noise legal for street use.
4. Modifying the air intake/cleaner assembly in such a way as to make the vehicle no longer noise legal for street use.

Harley-Davidson recommends that any and all noise related maintenance be done by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer using Genuine Harley-Davidson parts.

This is from the emissions systems warranty section:

It is recommended that any emission system maintenance be performed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer using genuine Harley-Davidson replacement parts. However the maintenance, replacement or repair of the emissions control system may be performed by any other qualified service outlet or individual. Non-genuine Harley-Davidson parts may be used only if such parts are certified to comply with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Standards.

As long as you can find EPA certified parts (mufflers/intakes/tuners) you're free to do what you want and keep your warranty.

If your local dealer wants to cover you for your non EPA modifications that's great, just don't expect all HD dealers to be willing to do the same.

The following users liked this post:
psyshack (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
the dealership honoring the warrantyis not the same as the MoCo honoring out. I bet if a warranty claim was being put in and the MoCo wanted to send out an inspector the dealership would be hiding the aftermarket parts and laying a bunch of stock parts by the lift. I worked at a dealership, that's how we did it. The dealers want all the work they can get, they do weekday they feel they have to.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

It all comes down to the dealer. They are the eyes and ears for the MoCo. If something really off the wall failed the MoCo may send out an inspector or request the parts back but usually the dealer relays all info.

This is no different that a car/truck warranty. The manufacture rarely sends a person in to see the parts, it falls to the dealer.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by show-n-go
It all comes down to the dealer. They are the eyes and ears for the MoCo. If something really off the wall failed the MoCo may send out an inspector or request the parts back but usually the dealer relays all info.

This is no different that a car/truck warranty. The manufacture rarely sends a person in to see the parts, it falls to the dealer.

This has changed from the way it was many years ago. Prior to me going in to the Marine Corps, I was a new car get ready/warranty tech for a Buick dealership in Denver. All parts replaced under warranty had to be tagged and stored for, as I recall 30 days. We saw someone from GM at our dealership every couple of weeks inspecting warrantied parts.....

YMMV

Lon

Old 07-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,423 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by The Q
Your last bike wasn't a 2017. Look at the EPA lawsuit settlement and read the warranty info in your owners manual. Things changed for the 2017 and newer models.

All things said, we all can interprete what we read diffrently.

This is from a 2017 owners manual:

EPA noise regulations require that the following statements be included in the Owner's Manual.

EPA Regulations

TAMPERING WITH NOISE CONTROL SYSTEM PROHIBITED: Federal law prohibits the following acts or the causing thereof: (1) The removal or rendering inoperative by any person other than for purposes of maintenance, repair, or replacement of any device or element of design incorporated into any new vehicle for the purpose of noise control prior to its sale or delivery to the ultimate purchaser or while it is in use, or (2) the use of the vehicle after such device or element of design has been removed or rendered inoperative by any person.

AMONG THOSE ACTS PRESUMED TO CONSTITUTE TAMPERING ARE THE FOLLOWING:
1. Replacing the muffler(s) and/or the entire exhaust system with parts not certified to be noise legal for street use.
2. Removing or modifying the muffler internal baffles in any way.
3. Replacing the air intake/cleaner assembly with one not certified to be noise legal for street use.
4. Modifying the air intake/cleaner assembly in such a way as to make the vehicle no longer noise legal for street use.

Harley-Davidson recommends that any and all noise related maintenance be done by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer using Genuine Harley-Davidson parts.

It is recommended that any emission system maintenance be performed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer using genuine Harley-Davidson replacement parts. However the maintenance, replacement or repair of the emissions control system may be performed by any other qualified service outlet or individual. Non-genuine Harley-Davidson parts may be used only if such parts are certified to comply with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Standards.

As long as you can find EPA certified parts (mufflers/intakes/tuners) you're free to do what you want and keep your warranty.

If your local dealer wants to cover you for your non EPA modifications that's great, just don't expect all HD dealers to be willing to do the same.
The funny thing about this is there are still internet people advertising aftermarket exhaust and air cleaner parts as legal when they are clearly not by federal law and now the warranty book from HD. They are trying to say that its a replacement part and I feel sorry for all those that have bought into it. This also applies to ANY 2017 not just M8's.

The Q (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:51 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,395 Likes on 4,009 Posts

Originally Posted by The Q

Good info, but one caveat on the highlighted portion.... even if a part is EPA approved, if it is a performance enhancing part, it is still up to the MoCo as to whether or not it will affect the powertrain warranty...

From the HD 2017 limited warranty;

Under Exclusions,

4. Which has off-road or competition parts installed to enhance performance, a trailer hitch, or has other unapproved modifications (even if these modifications include genuine Harley-Davidson parts and accessories that are not approved for use on your motorcycle). These modifications may void all or parts of your new motorcycle limited warranty. See an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for details.

and under Other Limitations,

4. Defects or damage to the motorcycle caused by alterations outside of Harley-Davidson's factory specifications or caused by alterations or use of parts or accessories not approved for the make and model year of your motorcycle.

If it's a mirror of an OEM part by another manufacturer, that is EPA approved, good. If it's a part from another manufacturer, that is EPA approved, but let's the bike run outside (better than) OEM factory specs, the MoCo can refuse to honor the warranty where the part is concerned..

Last edited by hattitude; 07-05-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:17 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Good info, but one caveat on the highlighted portion.... even if a part is EPA approved, if it is a performance enhancing part, it is still up to the MoCo as to whether or not it will affect the powertrain warranty...

From the HD 2017 limited warranty;

Under Exclusions,

4. Which has off-road or competition parts installed to enhance performance, a trailer hitch, or has other unapproved modifications (even if these modifications include genuine Harley-Davidson parts and accessories that are not approved for use on your motorcycle). These modifications may void all or parts of your new motorcycle limited warranty. See an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for details.

and under Other Limitations,

4. Defects or damage to the motorcycle caused by alterations outside of Harley-Davidson's factory specifications or caused by alterations or use of parts or accessories not approved for the make and model year of your motorcycle.

If it's a mirror of an OEM part by another manufacturer, that is EPA approved, good. If it's a part from another manufacturer, that is EPA approved, but let's the bike run outside (better than) OEM factory specs, the MoCo can refuse to honor the warranty where the part is concerned..
And thats how it's always been with almost all manufactures the last 20 or 30 years.

hattitude (07-05-2017)