Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does upgrading my M8 with non Screaming Eagle parts void my warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 03:01 PM
PlatinumEvents
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does upgrading my M8 with non Screaming Eagle parts void my warranty?

Hi Guys,

I just traded in my 2016 Iron 883, for a new 2017 Street Glide Special. There's is nothing I don't love about it. However, If you look at my profile my Iron had a Roland Sands intake and Vance & Hines Short shots. The sound was amazing you could hear me a mile away. Now here's the question....

I just put some Vance and Hines high output slip-on's on my SGS. Sounds good, butttttttt still doesn't have that obnoxious growl that I love. Some say it's because the pipes are behind me vs on the iron. I want to put an air intake on it, and actual full pipes not slips, but the service people at my Harley (who are pretty cool and honest) keep telling me to not do it because it will completely void all my warranty. Is this true or are they incentivized to use "Screaming Eagle" parts??

Thoughts and has anyone done this?

Old 07-03-2017, 03:04 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

yep, thats true.... enjoy the stereo for a year or two then do what you want. You can get the screaming eagle parts and tuner......butttt. Really, it's up to you.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:09 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatinumEvents
The sound was amazing you could hear me a mile away.
well that's subjective alright! LOL

Old 07-03-2017, 03:09 PM
PlatinumEvents
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exactly, Screaming eagle's nice and all, but not compared to what's out there.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:10 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Non EPA approved parts can void your drivetrain warranty. Not your entire warranty.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:03 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

If you care at all about your warranty, don't remove the cat. Or install a headpipe without a cat. The MoCo ain't messing around when it comes to EPA crap.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:27 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Might want to check out Tab performance zombie baffles/slip ons if you want big sound, but still keep your stock headpipe...and warranty.

The following users liked this post:
tabperformance (07-06-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:30 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Slip-ons won't void the warranty nor will an aftermarket AC, the problem comes when you use an aftermarket tuner that is not EPA compliant. As stated above, it can't void your whole warranty, just your power train warranty, and technically, the MoCo has to prove that the parts you used actually caused something to break. You will see all sorts of advice and opinion about warrant, ESP and impact about non-HD parts, bottom line is that the safest bet is to use Screamin Eagle parts if you absolutely want to be sure your warranty remains intact. Some dealers will work with you, some won't and the mothership is holding the line with respect to the EPA consent decree.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,413 Likes on 1,566 Posts

exactly, Screaming eagle's nice and all, but not compared to what's out there.
Understand that SE parts are mostly only covered by the limited warranty for 90 days. There sales gimmick right now is to have them installed within the first 60 days of delivery of a new bike and they will extend the warranty for a total of 2 years from date of sale of the motorcycle. This is all spelled out in HD's paperwork. Now whether or not the extend warranty plan will pickup the add-on parts I do not know but HD said they will not unless installed by an authorized dealer with the 60 day period.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi Guys,

I just traded in my 2016 Iron 883, for a new 2017 Street Glide Special. There's is nothing I don't love about it. However, If you look at my profile my Iron had a Roland Sands intake and Vance & Hines Short shots. The sound was amazing you could hear me a mile away. Now here's the question....

I just put some Vance and Hines high output slip-on's on my SGS. Sounds good, butttttttt still doesn't have that obnoxious growl that I love. Some say it's because the pipes are behind me vs on the iron. I want to put an air intake on it, and actual full pipes not slips, but the service people at my Harley (who are pretty cool and honest) keep telling me to not do it because it will completely void all my warranty. Is this true or are they incentivized to use "Screaming Eagle" parts??

Thoughts and has anyone done this?

Added to what everyone else has said, you are comparing apples to oranges. An M8 will NEVER sound like a sportster, they are totally different animals......

YMMV

Lon

Quick Reply: Does upgrading my M8 with non Screaming Eagle parts void my warranty?