Sponsored by:

Question on M8 ECM

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Question on M8 ECM

Just wondering about the ECM on the new Harleys. When you change the tune in the ECM with either the Harley Street Tuner or an aftermarket tuner, does the ECM record the fact that the tune had been changed? In other words, if you later return the ECM to a factory tune, is there a digital footprint of the tune having been changed in the past?

Lon

Old 07-03-2017, 09:42 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I just spoke to Fuel Moto about this. as long as the calibration name is not changed the digital tech at dealer can not tell. forensic analysis at the moco could tell but very unlikely that would happen. Mike

Old 07-03-2017, 09:51 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

I'm just guessing here. But based upon the BS crap that HD got into with the EPA, yes...IMHO it is reasonable to assume HD service can determine if there is anything other than a factory authorized map. Any 1st Year engineer could program that capability.

So...IMHO...we r screwed until the warranty runs out. As such, I just ordered Street Cannons for my new Road King. In 2 years I'll let loose.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 PM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I'm just guessing here. But based upon the BS crap that HD got into with the EPA, yes...IMHO it is reasonable to assume HD service can determine if there is anything other than a factory authorized map.
Agreed, but no hard evidence to back that up. In my VW, I have a flashed tune. In the VW ECM it simply sets a flag for how many times (or even YES/NO) that the ECM has been flashed. It doesn't matter about the settings in the tables. Come in with a cratered turbo and show a flash flag and forget warranty. Work around is a piggy-back tuner that doesn't mess with the ECM (but does alter the signals going in). Don't know if such a beast even exists for the M8, but once you take that off there is no trace of you mucking about in the tables. The M8 is plenty good wit the basic SE stage one IMO. Agree with others to let the 2 year window close before going further. IMHO, of course.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by DelRider
The M8 is plenty good wit the basic SE stage one IMO.
true dat

Old 07-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Sparky357
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

If they want to know their is a flash counter and if the afr tables have a peak value memory stored.

Last edited by Sparky357; 07-03-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:34 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
Just wondering about the ECM on the new Harleys. When you change the tune in the ECM with either the Harley Street Tuner or an aftermarket tuner, does the ECM record the fact that the tune had been changed? In other words, if you later return the ECM to a factory tune, is there a digital footprint of the tune having been changed in the past?

Lon
Based upon my experience tuning with the Pro Street Tuner on my M8 the only record of previous tunes installed on the ECM would be on the hard drive of your computer that you used to download the tuning software on. There is a folder that records the tunes you have installed such as Stage I, Stage II etc. It would also show if you installed any "Smart tunes" which you would have named and saved. These records are made available from the computers hard drive if you ever want to revert to a previous tune or if you were going to do a new Smart Tune and you wanted to continue with the last tune which was installed in the ECM. Again, I do not think the ECM would keep a record of previous "Flashes". The only record would be on your computer's hard drive.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:33 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,415 Likes on 1,566 Posts

The ECM is capable of storing many things that would allow the Moco to know. There is only one way to stop it. You have to rewrite the entire memory (not the calibration) just as you would do when you reformat your PC.

If you want, you just need to purchase a separate ECM for your bike. Keep the stock one stock and play with the second one all you like.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Sparky357
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The ECM is capable of storing many things that would allow the Moco to know. There is only one way to stop it. You have to rewrite the entire memory (not the calibration) just as you would do when you reformat your PC.

If you want, you just need to purchase a separate ECM for your bike. Keep the stock one stock and play with the second one all you like.
I believe Mastertune is the only one that can do this ?

Old 07-04-2017, 02:02 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DelRider View Post
The M8 is plenty good wit the basic SE stage one IMO.
Originally Posted by mjwebb
true dat
I would even go as far as saying that the bone stock M8 is incredible on its own. But damn, I have to admit, making the changes I have made, has rendered the perfect performance and sound for my liking.

Quick Reply: Question on M8 ECM