Sponsored by:

Blow-by Threads...Oil in Air Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 11:13 AM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Blow-by Threads...Oil in Air Cleaner

Seems to be a resurgence in oil blow-by threads lately.

I wonder if we have an oil pump issue again?

Allow me to spin a yarn.

I bought a used 2001 FXDL back in 03 or so and had the same problem. Oil down the side of the bike, saturated air cleaner from the breather. Additionally every once in a while it would belch an epic amount of black smoke, cough sputter and clean itself out and run fine after that.

The bike had an extended warranty so I took it in. They stated that blow-by was normal (Bullshit) and that since they could not reproduce the black smoke/sputtering episode that the claim was denied. (Another story) Anyway I took matters into my own hand and discovered an obscure TSB that someone across the pond posted online that talked about oil pumps coming out of the factory misaligned. So I ordered the alignment screw tools and opened the cam chest. Don't quote me on the procedure but it is something like remove two of the bolts and replace with alignment tools. Loosen the other two, spin the motor a couple time to find the center. Snug up the two bolts and replace the alignment tools with the bolts and torque everything back down. The oil pump visibly jumped when I did this on that TC 88.

Ran that bike for many years after that with not more that a few drops in the air cleaner at service time. Also, been wrenching myself ever since. I can screw up at least as good as they can.

So if you guys get to wits end with this ****, someone may want to check on the oil pump. There is also a thread from a guy that found a bolt in his. Coincidence? Maybe.

Worth a look guys as history has a way of repeating.

Carry On.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:30 AM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

How about this.....How many of you remember Usenet? I wrote this for rec.motorcycles.harley back long before these new fangled discussion groups.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...c/vYAwAWlbsZkJ

Google bought all that data years ago probably to data mine it.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

It's not repeating itself.. It's pretty much a continuing issue. When you have a dry sump system with small case size and pistons that pretty much move up and down together, anything that throws the system out of balance, will cause vent issues..

BTW, Don't need the alignment screws on TCs.