Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

milwaukee 8 exhaust not loud enough

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:10 AM
bulldog82098
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think your getting it with the baffles. The head pipes are SO CONSTRICTIVE that it is not like riding a bike without baffles. The Cats do the job that the baffles are supposed to by suppressing the sound in the head pipes before it gets to the mufflers.
The bike is not any louder than any other bike with non CAT head pipes and competition baffles. And believe me if my bike was too loud or sounded bad the guys I ride with would never let me hear the end of it. I can't say goodbye to my wife with hearing a bunch of **** from them when we leave for a ride for Christ sake. I'm telling you I know what a Harley is supposed to sound like, I've been doing this **** forever and my bike sound killer. And everyone that has heard it, guys that have been riding 30 plus years agree with me, that's all I can tell you.

Put your stock head pipes back on the bike, pull the baffles from you slip on's and try it this winter, I'll bet money it'll sound great. Plus you'll get back some of that back pressure that gives you that low end torque.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:45 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldog82098
I guess I'm not hearing what you guys are and neither are all the people on the poker runs that come up to me and ask me about my pipes.Tone is subjective but majority rules and I have never had anyone complain that my bike was too loud or sounded like a sewing machine. Maybe I stumbled on a "magic" combination that makes the M8 sound good but I doubt it. I just think people are ******* the motor on the internet and everyone is buying it. It you don't own one and ride it every day then you don't really know how it sounds do you??
Oh I'm not saying they dont sound good. I love the sound/tone of my setup. But at idle it is still WAY to quiet for my taste. And way more quiet than ANY previous harley motor.

I've heard clips of a few bikes here that have decatted and upgraded their cams. They still sound really good, but louder at idle and with a good lope. Will never be like previous iterations of harley motors IMO, but pretty dang good.

One more thing to note about the loudness. ALL the guys I ride with except one ride pre M8 bikes. The other guy is a completely stock M8 SGS. In the group I can barely hear my bike over most of the others and at stoplights forget about it. Mine sounds like a moped next to the other older TC's. lol THAT"S what I dont like.

Last edited by teedoff65; 11-07-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:15 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Oh I'm not saying they dont sound good. I love the sound/tone of my setup. But at idle it is still WAY to quiet for my taste. And way more quiet than ANY previous harley motor.

I've heard clips of a few bikes here that have decatted and upgraded their cams. They still sound really good, but louder at idle and with a good lope. Will never be like previous iterations of harley motors IMO, but pretty dang good.

One more thing to note about the loudness. ALL the guys I ride with except one ride pre M8 bikes. The other guy is a completely stock M8 SGS. In the group I can barely hear my bike over most of the others and at stoplights forget about it. Mine sounds like a moped next to the other older TC's. lol THAT"S what I dont like.
I too struggle with the sound of the M8, I miss being on the pipe along side the K-rails etc etc. But damn this M8 runs nice.. My last bike was a stage III M8, that thing sounded good. the stock motor with cannons is boring, not sure what to do about it.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
I too struggle with the sound of the M8, I miss being on the pipe along side the K-rails etc etc. But damn this M8 runs nice.. My last bike was a stage III M8, that thing sounded good. the stock motor with cannons is boring, not sure what to do about it.
My answer has been to keep my Evo and enjoy them both for what they are. Honestly the 114 M8 sounds good to me going down the road when I'm not riding with a group of buds on our usuall pipes. I spend about 2 hours a day commuting on my M8 and it's really nice to listen to rolling along. I think idle will never come close, and I don't want to lose the good ride sound by pushing it. Stage 2 has added a little more oomph. The touring cans always sound the best and your old stage 3 was probably pretty sweet.

The following users liked this post:
sixguns (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
My answer has been to keep my Evo and enjoy them both for what they are. Honestly the 114 M8 sounds good to me going down the road when I'm not riding with a group of buds on our usuall pipes. I spend about 2 hours a day commuting on my M8 and it's really nice to listen to rolling along. I think idle will never come close, and I don't want to lose the good ride sound by pushing it. Stage 2 has added a little more oomph. The touring cans always sound the best and your old stage 3 was probably pretty sweet.
You've done the stage 2 with i assume all epa compliant?

Eventually I'll do the stage 2 but I gotta lose those cats. O think that will about the best sound one can hope for on the m8s. But yeah they do run great!

Old 11-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Eventually I'll do the stage 2 but I gotta lose those cats. O think that will about the best sound one can hope for on the m8s. But yeah they do run great!
Yeah, I stayed dealer/SE for warranty for now. I know more awaits down the road, but I've got a few years to enjoy this setup while I watch for what's ahead. even without all the benefits available it's stil a hoot.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:13 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Yeah, I stayed dealer/SE for warranty for now. I know more awaits down the road, but I've got a few years to enjoy this setup while I watch for what's ahead. even without all the benefits available it's stil a hoot.
Definitely! And even with my trans oil issue, its so fun to ride!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 PM
EdwardToscano
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Enough already please!

If I read one more post with this bulshI$ about EPA complaint, what the F does that mean anyway. What a bunch of washwoman, really your not going to change the headers pipes because it’s not epa compliant. Give me a break. And stop spreading rumors about Harley voiding warranties. Have we heard from one person who had that issue? Zero. Dealer did a stage 3 on my bike, Vance and Hines headers and fuel pack, no warranty voiding going on here

Old 04-26-2018, 06:01 AM
Clutched
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Got Rinehart Slimline Duals,Not as loud as my 103,But Sounds Good especially Behind it,Almost a 1000 mi. Seems to be getting louder the more I ride it Don't sound that bad at all,Definetly Runs a lot better than my 103 so I am Happy.

Attached Thumbnails milwaukee 8 exhaust not loud enough-bike3.jpg  
Old 04-26-2018, 06:49 AM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardToscano
If I read one more post with this bulshI$ about EPA complaint, what the F does that mean anyway. What a bunch of washwoman, really your not going to change the headers pipes because it’s not epa compliant. Give me a break. And stop spreading rumors about Harley voiding warranties. Have we heard from one person who had that issue? Zero. Dealer did a stage 3 on my bike, Vance and Hines headers and fuel pack, no warranty voiding going on here
try visiting another dealer....
all viscious rumors... lol

Quick Reply: milwaukee 8 exhaust not loud enough