Sponsored by:

M8 idle sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:00 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,471 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Get a shovel or well tuned Evo if you really care about sound.
Yeah. I'm not going to get a pan or shovel head sound with this bike. Or even an evo for that matter. But again, more sound from idle should be possible.

After some research and the comments here, I think I'll go for the stage 2 upgrade. I'll probably have to do it in steps and also find out if the header upgrade without cats will void my warranty.

Probably get the stage 1 breather and tune in the next week or so.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

No way with out cam upgrades a 8 valve motor will sound the same at idle or very low rpm. TC had 1 large exhaust valve letting out air, making the pop sound. Now the M8 lets out more air making it more efficient, but now it's done with 2 smaller valves, so the pop is smoother but not as loud. I want the more efficient motor myself so I will be looking at the 18 King.

The following 2 users liked this post by GPHDXLC:
mjwebb (07-13-2017), Oz Dan (07-13-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 11:32 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Bought the stage 1 breather and tuner this morning. They said I could certainly keep my S&S slip ons with the stage 1 air tuner upgrade. I'll be buying the stage 2 kit next week probably.

Cant get the stage one stuff done until Aug. 5th. The labor for the stage 2 was like 900 bucks. So one step at a time.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
After hearing umpteen Stage 1 M8's with all sorts of builds I came to realise the only way to get the Harley sound with these bikes is to go straight to a full Stage 2.

I used Bassani 2-1-2 Headers, Rineharts 4 inch muffs, a SE M8 Heavy Breather and the 448 cam - dyno tuned with the SE Pro Super Tuner. Result? Stump pulling Torque off the line, and it sounds like it should now, lumpy and deep at idlle and shear music when cracking it.

I had a massive increase in HP and TQ so even though it cost me 4.5K Oz dollars it was worth every penny.
Yo Oz, curious why u did not go with the Bassani DNT mufflers as well as their headers???

Eagle Out

Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 AM
shooter45
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice sounding there.Like the orange color

Old 07-17-2017, 12:26 PM
SoZo
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Close as you can get to the Panhead is this with a Fuel Moto Header and cam

go to 209sec

Last edited by SoZo; 07-17-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Yo Oz, curious why u did not go with the Bassani DNT mufflers as well as their headers???

Eagle Out
For several reasons. First, my choice - I like the deep sound, looks and quality of the 4 inch Rineharts. The DNT muffs are also known for their deep sound, but in some cases also for their lack of low end Torque. Second, people in the know suggested better tuning response with the Rineharts mated to my headers, so as I was pretty much set on the Rineharts anyway, that's the way I went. Happy with the smooth Torque and power curves from my tune, it's great straight off idle.

The Bassani headers are a mandrell bent quality product that is available in Australia (unlike other catless 2-1-2 headers), is well priced and l think it's a great combo because both Bassani and Rinehart produce a deeper tone so seemed to me to be the best solution.

The following users liked this post:
103Eagle (07-24-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 03:41 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
For several reasons. First, my choice - I like the deep sound, looks and quality of the 4 inch Rineharts. The DNT muffs are also known for their deep sound, but in some cases also for their lack of low end Torque. Second, people in the know suggested better tuning response with the Rineharts mated to my headers, so as I was pretty much set on the Rineharts anyway, that's the way I went. Happy with the smooth Torque and power curves from my tune, it's great straight off idle.

The Bassani headers are a mandrell bent quality product that is available in Australia (unlike other catless 2-1-2 headers), is well priced and l think it's a great combo because both Bassani and Rinehart produce a deeper tone so seemed to me to be the best solution.
You have any sound clips of your bike? Would love to hear it.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
You have any sound clips of your bike? Would love to hear it.
I did post one in another thread (can't remember where) but I'd need to do another through "you tube" as my own clips are too big to upload even when short.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
I started with just aftermarket mufflers. started with the SE street cannons. didn't like them, although some said they were fine with it. Then went with V&H mufflers... better, deeper but on idlle still too subtle for me.. again, others have said they were satisfied with it.. me I wanted a more traditional harley sound. Finally swapped out the stock head pipes with the cat for V&H power duals w/o cat.. that gave me the sound I was looking for.. louder at idle and much nicer on the road. Adding the torque cam kit improved the sound once again by giving me more potato potato sound. Now I'm happy. Sound is subjective but the headers do make a difference IMO. BTW, the V&H muffler (eliminator 400) have removable baffles and no packing.. That may also be a key differentiator.
Mine is now right. Eliminator 400's w/Baffles, Head Pipe Decat, HD Ventilator, HD Basic TQ Cam Kit, HD EPA Tuner with canned map loaded. It now sounds like a Harley. Very light potato potato. But at 950 rpm idle speed it's not going to lope much. Now with the FP3 on it will loap a tad more basically because the idle is then 850 rpm. The Decat really helped on my bike!

Quick Reply: M8 idle sound