Sponsored by:

M8 Screaming Eagle Street Cannons

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:43 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default M8 Screaming Eagle Street Cannons

After hitting 500 miles on my new Road King I was delighted to arrive home with my new Street Cannons on the porch. So, despite a garage temperature of 85 degrees, I accepted the challenge to rid my new Road King of the Prius exhaust.

The install was fairly easy except for the dang end piece bolt clips. WTF...why were they pre installed in the wrong locations? They were a PITA to remove and relocate.

Anyhow..

I took a short test ride:
- idle has a better rumble than stock
- at speed...say 3,500 RPMs...they sound like the OEM mufflers
- accelerating they are a loud raspy sound
- de-accelerating is when they sound the best...kind of a loud raspy sound

Maybe they'll sound better as they break in. Otherwise...after another 500 miles...f--k the warranty and I'll put on something better sounding.

So...if you are looking for that Harley sound..these aren't it!!

YMMV.

The following 3 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
INJEKTER (07-20-2017), Jessica Sinclair (08-06-2017), rowan (11-26-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,518 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
After hitting 500 miles on my new Road King I was delighted to arrive home with my new Street Cannons on the porch. So, despite a garage temperature of 85 degrees, I accepted the challenge to rid my new Road King of the Prius exhaust.

The install was fairly easy except for the dang end piece bolt clips. WTF...why were they pre installed in the wrong locations? They were a PITA to remove and relocate.

Anyhow..

I took a short test ride:
- idle has a better rumble than stock
- at speed...say 3,500 RPMs...they sound like the OEM mufflers
- accelerating they are a loud raspy sound
- de-accelerating is when they sound the best...kind of a loud raspy sound

Maybe they'll sound better as they break in. Otherwise...after another 500 miles...f--k the warranty and I'll put on something better sounding.

So...if you are looking for that Harley sound..these aren't it!!

YMMV.
yeah, best way I can think of describing them is kind of a racy engine sound, but I do like that tone on deceleration especially..they are fine for me..the engine is more efficient and different and kind of the way things are

Old 07-13-2017, 09:57 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Yeah I found out the hard way also, first start up with the street cannons and I knew I pissed away $600, I was able to sell them quick but took a $200 hit on them.

The following users liked this post:
INJEKTER (07-20-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

From the posts I have read some like them and some don't. But those that do stated that they sound better after running them for awhile. Heck for that matter the stock sounds better at 2700 miles than day one. Lol

mjwebb (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:12 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardstick
From the posts I have read some like them and some don't. But those that do stated that they sound better after running them for awhile. Heck for that matter the stock sounds better at 2700 miles than day one. Lol
Yeah...actually my stocks sounded better after 500 miles. So, I'm hopefull the Street Canons will improve over time.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:23 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I still have my stock mufflers if they haven't started rusting in the V&H box my Eliminators came in. The day I bought the bike my daughter heard me as I was riding to her house with the stock mufflers still on it. And she didn't know I had bought a new King. I knew Street Canons were not a option when i bought the bike. Thats why the Eliminators were at the house when I bought the bike.

And no matter what you do. Your never going to make M8 sound like a Shovel, Evo or Twinky.

INJEKTER (07-20-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:25 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I've had Steet Canons for about 10,000 miles. I installed them because I wanted less noise while touring. Mine have improved with miles, but they're not going to be loud just cruising along. They kind of remind me of a quieter version of glass packs that I had on a 1969 Impala back in the day especially when shifting.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Doshounds
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts

Mine are too quiet for my taste and the fit and finish have been questionable. My bike is stored indoors in a climate controlled garage and I noticed rust staining on the left slip on. It was right under the Screaming Eagle Logo. Dealer stated HD doesn't cover rust because it's Enviromental. Now my 17 RKS with 680 miles has more rust than my 15 RGS. Here's a pic. Waiting on resolution.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:55 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

I love my Street Cannons. I think they sound perfect and most of all they look 10x better than the stock pipes.

The following 2 users liked this post by dixonk:
mjwebb (07-14-2017), Super2k (01-31-2020)
Old 07-14-2017, 07:22 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteF
I've had Steet Canons for about 10,000 miles. I installed them because I wanted less noise while touring. Mine have improved with miles, but they're not going to be loud just cruising along. They kind of remind me of a quieter version of glass packs that I had on a 1969 Impala back in the day especially when shifting.
I completely agree. Mine even make a "splatter" sound when under hard acceleration or deceleration, just like glass packs did back in the 1950 or 1960s. Can't say I am a big fan of that sound. I have tried several different end caps on my Street Cannons and there is a vast difference between them. I was surprised that various Harley end caps would sound so much different. For my part the best sound comes when I don't even put end caps on them. I have listened to 5 or 6 different aftermarket slip on mufflers on other M8 bikes and there is not much difference in any of them. All mufflers that will fit a 2017 M8 have to comply with the same EPA rules, so they pretty much sound alike. The only exception I guess would be if they were for off road or racing use. I did hear one bike that the owner claimed to have drilled out the guts on his stock mufflers. It was loud and obnoxious. It was horrible, to say the least. I must say that there are a lot of M8 owners who are very happy with the sound of their OEM mufflers and plan on leaving them alone.

Last edited by Retrop; 07-14-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: M8 Screaming Eagle Street Cannons