Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Decat

Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts
Default Did Decat

Got the cat out this weekend. Not a bad job at all.

Took off both bags and mufflers. Got out a cordless drill, bit 1/2" paddle, bit extension, hammer and a old #3 Kline Flat Blade Screw Driver 2' Long, Needle Nose. In short order the cat was out. About 2/3's of it came out in one piece. A shop vac kept the small pieces all cleaned up and sucked out of the collector and cross over.

The bike is louder, but not by much. Just say it has more authority. The Eliminator 400's have a good sound. Just more of it now. I took the FP3 off and put the HD tuner back on with the Stage II TQ Cam map. It seems to like the map from the riding I've done so far.

Cat heat is gone. Good Bye!!!! It's amazing how much better it is now. The temp drop while riding and setting in traffic is substantial. Now it's just engine heat and head pipe heat. Getting that 1500+ degree heat condenser out of there is great!

Old 07-16-2017, 10:00 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 228 Posts

Curious why you removed the left muffler...to vacuum whatever fell into the crossover?

Old 07-17-2017, 02:35 PM
SirWraithe
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Got the cat out this weekend. Not a bad job at all.

Took off both bags and mufflers. Got out a cordless drill, bit 1/2" paddle, bit extension, hammer and a old #3 Kline Flat Blade Screw Driver 2' Long, Needle Nose. In short order the cat was out. About 2/3's of it came out in one piece. A shop vac kept the small pieces all cleaned up and sucked out of the collector and cross over.

The bike is louder, but not by much. Just say it has more authority. The Eliminator 400's have a good sound. Just more of it now. I took the FP3 off and put the HD tuner back on with the Stage II TQ Cam map. It seems to like the map from the riding I've done so far.

Cat heat is gone. Good Bye!!!! It's amazing how much better it is now. The temp drop while riding and setting in traffic is substantial. Now it's just engine heat and head pipe heat. Getting that 1500+ degree heat condenser out of there is great!

Did you run the 1/2 paddle bit around the edges or down the middle and bang the edges in with the screwdriver? I want to do this.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Nuke_Disaster
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is there a piece of driftwood on your floor board?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuke_Disaster
Why is there a piece of driftwood on your floor board?
Ummmm...I do believe that's his cat...

Old 07-17-2017, 06:17 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SirWraithe
Did you run the 1/2 paddle bit around the edges or down the middle and bang the edges in with the screwdriver? I want to do this.
Ran the paddle bit in the center of the cat and shoved the old #3 Kline flat blade down the sides. Didn't have to beat on the screw driver hard at all. Also it was better to keep the drill at slow speeds and just let it chew the cat up.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by SirWraithe
Remove right muffler only, use a 1and half inch paddle bit and long chisel to clean outter edge up, use extendable magnet to keep it all clean in there, long pair of needle nose pliers to pull large piece of cat out. 30-40 min job total, pretty simple.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:30 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,220 Likes on 11,133 Posts

So since I'm a ***** regarding my warranty.....Cross thread points!!!....is there any way a dealer could recognize you've decatted...and would that void the warranty?

Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
So since I'm a ***** regarding my warranty.....Cross thread points!!!....is there any way a dealer could recognize you've decatted...and would that void the warranty?
OOO yeah they could tell if they wanted to. And yes warranty would be gone if MoCo found out....

Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
They would have to pull the muffler and shine a flash light inside. Somehow I doubt a standard tech working inside the dealership doing oil changes would ever realize the inside of the cat was gutted. And who is to say it didn't break apart and come out by itself?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did Decat