Road Glide Ultra vs Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:44 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by aviaator
Ask them how do they drive a car? :roll eyes:
I have a vehicle that the headlights turn in the direction that the steering wheel is turned.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
I wish everyone had a Batwing, too many Road Glides on the roads nowaday! :icon_nu

YB
Few and far between around me.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:58 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

I had 17 Road Glide Ultra for 7 months put 6000 miles on it. Tried my best to get comfortable with it just never could. I finally took test ride on a Ultra classic fell in love with the ride much more sportier feeling finally. Felt very comfortable on this type of Harley Traded in the road glide for a 17 electric glide ultra classic last week. Should have test rode both bikes prior to buying, but sales guy talked me on the Road Glide since I was comming off a Goldwing. Live and learn was able to swap out happy now cant wait to start racking up miles. Wasn't riding the Road Glide much that's going to change.

The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Custardglide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Had 7 Eglides over the years (2 of them CVO 2005 and 2015) traded the 2015 CVO Limited for a 2016 RGU, loving every mile on it, I'd have to be really desperate to get back on a bat fairing. I find it more agile and easier to steer, lighter on the bars that's for sure, and far more stable in the wind.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:06 PM
cruisecontrol208
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had both, traded in 09 RG for a '16 Ultra Limited (highly recommended from several riders) toured the west, Sturgis, Yellowstone, Idaho etc., 4500 miles and took it back! Got what I paid for it and bought the '17 Roadglide Ultra, WHAT A DIFFERANCE, I love riding again!!! Roadglide just rides smoother when touring period. If I hadn't rode a Roadglide for years prior to the Ultra I probably would still be riding the Ultra..lol..

Old 07-23-2017, 03:58 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
I had 17 Road Glide Ultra for 7 months put 6000 miles on it. Tried my best to get comfortable with it just never could. I finally took test ride on a Ultra classic fell in love with the ride much more sportier feeling finally. Felt very comfortable on this type of Harley Traded in the road glide for a 17 electric glide ultra classic last week. Should have test rode both bikes prior to buying, but sales guy talked me on the Road Glide since I was comming off a Goldwing. Live and learn was able to swap out happy now cant wait to start racking up miles. Wasn't riding the Road Glide much that's going to change.
Love that color combination, I really wanted that one. Bought an ultra limited instead. The wife picked out my bike. I was cool with that, I got a new Harley. Honey, pick out any color you want.........

Old 07-23-2017, 08:31 PM
17RGU
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year I went to rent a bike while vacationing at Myrtle Beach as I always do. (Currently riding and loving a '14 wide glide) I wanted to rent a Road Glide Special. They only had a Limited Ultra and I almost left not wanted the heavy baggage but decided to rent it anyway.
Boy was I glad I did and very surprised...immediatly was impressed with how light the bike felt once underway and it continued to impress throughout the day. I purposely tried to get passing trucks to upset the fairing with wind turbulence but never experienced anything noticeable.
I did feel a little cramped on the bike at 6 foot tall and wondered if the road glide would change that feeling even though they are the same bikes aside from fairing. The stereo sound great with the speakers close by. Storage was awesome coming from a wide glide and the ride was impressive.
So a few months later at home, I rented a 2017 M8 Road Glide Ultra and asside from the engine difference I experienced a few thing I noticed were different from the Limited Ultra.
The 2017 rode incredibly well, very plush!! Love it or hate it - its an incredible ride with the new suspension. Just awesome.
I thought the stereo sounded more "in your face" on the Limited Ultra being closer and not shooting in the wind.
The RGU fairing offers many open/closable vents that work together to fight buffering and works well, including at your feet (although I will be getting a slightly taller windshield). Yes, there is lots of glare on the screen with the sun behind me. Is not an issue unless you are following GPS direction intensly. ( like whats the next street to turn at)
Ultimately I like the looks of the Road Glide front end, it looks freash and badass to me vs. the very common batwing. Honestly I can't feel the difference from the limited for passing trucks and turbulence. Both are great bikes!!
The Limited Ultra was a great ride but the RGU is the bike for me with no regrets. The trade value on my Wide Glide was too low so I kept it for a completely different ride and sound (big shots!)

Last edited by 17RGU; 07-24-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:19 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

The test drives at the dealers are usually short and on side streets. I knew how the batwing fairing rode, I really enjoy it. I've never road a road glide, now I wish I had.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Congrats on your new ride, I prefer and ride an Ultra.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Check6
Road Captain

Received 299 Likes on 140 Posts

Coming off of a '16 Road King, I tested both the Road Glide and Ultra Limited last Friday. Both equipped with same stuff. Bought the Ultra Limited for the following reasons:

1. Owned an '03 EG Classic, so more familiar
2. RG seating position tended to lean me back further which caused a little concern for lower back. I suppose rotating the bars forward would take care of that.
3. Screen washed out by sun and can't reach it! I didn't know how to use the handlebar controls during test ride, but it put me off.
4. RG didn't seem to be as responsive as EG. Again, coming from a RK and an older EG, so probably has something to do with it.

I do like the looks of the Road Glide better than the Ultra, but everything about the Ultra Limited seemed more better for me.

The following users liked this post:
Berardi3 (07-31-2017)

Quick Reply: Road Glide Ultra vs Ultra Limited