Sponsored by:

PSA - reflectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 08:51 AM
caedenspa
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default PSA - reflectors

I abso-frickin-lutely HATE the way the side reflectors look on motorcycles. Every bike I've ever owned has had those damn warts removed within hours of taking delivery.

That said, last night I almost hit a guy because he didn't have them. We live in a heavily wooded area, no streetlights, not a whole lot of traffic. The road we were on is a 55 MPH, the crossroads are all 35. There was one vehicle ahead of us, maybe 150 yds. Biker on the crossroad, as soon as vehicle ahead of us passes the crossroad he shoots across. Never saw him till he was 90% through the intersection. All I saw was a fleeting shadow - he had no reflectors at all.

We turned in behind him, and my wife goes "he has a headlight on, he has bright tail lights - how could we not see him?!?!"

I honestly don't know. Maybe his headlight was aimed high so there was no pattern cast on the road ahead of him? Maybe he had a headlight visor that made it less visible from the side? Whatever it was, it really made me rethink my "no reflector" policy. At minimum I think I'm going to add a strip or two of that black 3M reflector tape in discreet areas.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

good share, thanks! wife and I actually added the two that came with the soft lowers to our bikes..not sure why they put them in with those but figured wth.the older I get the less concerned with looks and more about being seen..older you get, your time here is the most valuable thing you have so maximize it

The following users liked this post:
prowler58 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:19 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Wife and I were talking about the reflectors last night on the fork lowers and the bag hardware. I got to thinking about were could I buy some of that reflective material that is used on riding gear that looks gray or silver that reflects pretty darn good at night. Use some good contact adhesive and glue the material over the reflectors and trim to fit.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:19 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,308 Likes on 1,335 Posts

when I had BMWs there was 3M tape that is black but reflects white when hit by light. was used mostly on the unpainted surfaces of side bags but could be adopted to black areas of our frames or even folded up passenger peg/floorboard

Old 07-22-2017, 04:37 PM
copper1977
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a lot of police bikes with reflective tape that matches the paint color. During daylight hours, you can make it out but it doesn't stand out too terribly bad, but at night...it looks like a light mounted to the saddlebag.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:47 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm not a fan of reflectors either, however know the value of them. You can usually replace that amber one that all makers put on the forks (DOT requirement) with a white one that is less offensive looking.

I have SOLUS Tape all over my BMW GS, it lights up far better than your average reflector tape:

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-23-2017, 08:42 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I agree with the reflectors safety value,but the bike your riding should have a better headlamp,like a LED, and aimed properly.This makes all the difference in the world when riding at night.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:29 PM
guapo
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have lower lighted covers that are running and turn signals

Old 07-28-2017, 10:04 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

I like the safety factor more, so they are staying on. And I really don't even notice them. Plus when your bike is parked at night, the reflectors are what shows up from the side. Helps keep the bike from getting ran into

Old 07-29-2017, 07:01 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

I used to remove them off of every bike I brought home but on the new bike I am just leaving them on.

Quick Reply: PSA - reflectors