Sponsored by:

You know that oil filter catcher [smile] for the M8

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:47 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by CVO SG
Must be me. I have the HD oil filter catcher and I always end up spilling oil down the front of my motor into everything thats mounted below it. The lip on the catcher doesn't go beyond the filter flange enough that the oil coming out when loosened, just backs up and spills over the lip.
you sure you have the new one made for the M8? it rotates then snaps/clicks into place and works like a charm..they had a few hanging on the shelf at the dealership and unless you read the packaging it's easy to grab the previous version

Old 07-23-2017, 01:03 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

No, I am using the one I bought that was for my '15SGS. Did not realize there is a new design for the M8's. Thanks for the heads up

Old 07-23-2017, 08:20 AM
prowler58
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
you sure you have the new one made for the M8? it rotates then snaps/clicks into place and works like a charm..they had a few hanging on the shelf at the dealership and unless you read the packaging it's easy to grab the previous version
Can you post a picture of that oil catcher ?

Old 07-23-2017, 08:56 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by prowler58
Can you post a picture of that oil catcher ?
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...12-62700199--1

Fits '17-later Milwaukee-Eight® engine equipped models.

pay no attention to the lone review..some people shouldn't be allowed to handle anything sharper than a Twinkie..it works great for me and oil mess has been eliminated if you install it correctly and slip a thin rag under the OF housing

The following users liked this post:
prowler58 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 01:29 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post16424216

You can see my pics of it in action at the link above, showing what it looks like properly seated. Also, I removed my funnel too soon and didn't realize oil was still seeping out of the filter inlet - this caused a small amount of oil to run down the front of the motor before I realized it.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:36 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

When I did my 1k service I used my twin cam oil filter funnel and had no problems at all.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by CVO SG
Must be me. I have the HD oil filter catcher and I always end up spilling oil down the front of my motor into everything thats mounted below it. The lip on the catcher doesn't go beyond the filter flange enough that the oil coming out when loosened, just backs up and spills over the lip.
Yep I must be a dumb *** because I still end up making a little mess using that thing. Mine I have a problem with the hose always coming off. Plus I have a hard time spinning off the filter with the catcher underneath it so I usually end up with some oil getting past it.

I will admit the last 3 oil changes I just did at the dealer since I had a bunch of harley bucks from the credit card saved up.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Well it didn't work very good on our 15 Limiteds and did the oil change on M8s using old method with glossy paper from magazine under the filter no mess at all, I'll give it shot next change to see if it works better on M8s.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:51 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
Yep I must be a dumb *** because I still end up making a little mess using that thing. Mine I have a problem with the hose always coming off. Plus I have a hard time spinning off the filter with the catcher underneath it so I usually end up with some oil getting past it.

I will admit the last 3 oil changes I just did at the dealer since I had a bunch of harley bucks from the credit card saved up.
cinch a zip tie on the hose..honestly, if you have the new part number one for the M8...install it sideways ish and rotate into position while pushing and hear/feel the snap/click where the lip of the catcher attaches to the OF housing then it stays in place while spinning off with the filter wrench..has to be a matter of technique here because like I said, works impressively well for me..try a few dry practice runs and you'll get the feel and hang of it. I'd be surprised if you don't

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-23-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:00 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I wonder if punching a couple of holes in the filter with a center punch and emptying it out in the orange tray before removing might help. I think I saw a rubber hose on it in the picture. Don't they have one for the twin cam and a new one for the M8?

Quick Reply: You know that oil filter catcher [smile] for the M8