Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Yes another slip ons/warranty thread (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1190246-yes-another-slip-ons-warranty-thread.html)

teedoff65 07-29-2017 03:47 PM

Yes another slip ons/warranty thread

Please, lets not make this a debate about what will and what wont void a warranty. Just wanted to tell everyone about the conversation I just had with a service rep.

So just got off the phone with my dealership's service rep. Wanted to confirm my appointment Aug 5th for the stage 1 install. I've already installed mine and did the auto tune myself with the SE AC and SEPST tuner, but I specifically wanted to confirm if they do a full dyno tune or just installed the stage 1 canned map that I basically did. He said they only do the canned map and just the cost for that was about 50 bucks. He said he didnt recommend doing a full dyno, but if I wanted one it would be around 550 bucks! WOW!

The interesting part was when I said I really wasnt after the power increase but the sound. Especially at idle. he said well what you could do is buy the SE full exhaust system and just put my current S&S slip ons back on. Since the SE headers didnt have cats, it would be louder at idle.

He specifically said that would not void my warranty and that he was talking about this subject to one of the parts managers this morning to confirm this was the case. I asked him why wouldnt that void my warranty as opposed to my buying aftermarket headers without cats, and he said because the SE are harley parts.

So my point is, I dont think even dealerships or more specifically employees of dealerships know whats what with regards to warranties on new bikes.

Road Star 07-29-2017 03:54 PM

They're just keeping that in their back-pocket... So, when they need it, they can use it.

fishtale 07-29-2017 04:45 PM

If you had a warranty issues the SE slip ons could go back on. ECM won't tell on you lol

Quik 07-29-2017 04:47 PM

If you go by what he said then just decat your stock pipe, it is a harley part also so should not void your warranty based on his explanation since neither pipe would have a cat. What it boils down to is this, talk to 10 different service reps and you will get 10 different answers.

Tired 07-29-2017 04:49 PM

Have a notebook and pen with you. When they make those statements about warranties. Ask them politely to write it down and sign it.

Then see what happens.

Quik 07-29-2017 04:54 PM

Also forgot to mention, just losing the cat on a stage 1 bike is gonna make very minimal difference at idle. Honestly I can't tell any difference at idle but it is a couple decibels louder gong through the gears and the tone is different, I actually liked my tone better with the cat.

teedoff65 07-29-2017 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Quik (Post 16479399)
If you go by what he said then just decat your stock pipe, it is a harley part also so should not void your warranty based on his explanation since neither pipe would have a cat. What it boils down to is this, talk to 10 different service reps and you will get 10 different answers.

That was my very first thought and even started to mention it to him, but didn't.

Personally I think he's full of crap, but I didnt want to debate it with him.

hattitude 07-29-2017 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by teedoff65 (Post 16479303)
So my point is, I dont think even dealerships or more specifically employees of dealerships know whats what with regards to warranties on new bikes.

I bought my 1st new Harley in 1978....

Back then, there were some knowledgeable people working in sales & service....

In the mid '80s, when everybody and their brother all of a sudden wanted a Harley... things changed... Bikes were flying off the floor and backordered.... you didn't need to know squat about a Harley to sell one... they sold themselves..

Since then, there are still some shops with knowledgeable people, but they seem to be few and far between.... seems to be getting harder to find all the time...

TriGeezer 07-29-2017 05:34 PM

The warranty in the owner's manual is quite clear that any non EPA components or non-EPA tune will void the warranty. Regardless of what someone in parts says, it's up to the HD warranty administrator when you make a claim.

teedoff65 07-29-2017 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by TriGeezer (Post 16479532)
The warranty in the owner's manual is quite clear that any non EPA components or non-EPA tune will void the warranty. Regardless of what someone in parts says, it's up to the HD warranty administrator when you make a claim.

Completely agreed. But dealership employees telling customers the exact opposite.....OR telling them you can do whatever you want as long as you use harley parts, is unethical and probably illegal.