Sponsored by:

tuning advice from an expert

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:45 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,471 Likes on 1,061 Posts
Default tuning advice from an expert

So emailed a local reputable bike shop...not a moco dealer.

Was asking advice for my stage 1 bike. Decided to post here in hopes of helping others in my situation and to maybe dispel some misconceptions.

FWIW

Tuning the Stage 1 kit will not be worth the effort or money. The canned map should be close enough and while I’m confident I could get more power out of it by tuning, you may be only looking at 3-5hp at the very most. I’m not sure exactly what the expected increases are with that kit but just looking at the small chart in the SE catalog it’s pretty minimal.

The noises you are hearing are usually because of the more open air cleaner. Engine sounds will not be as muffled as with the large stock airbox and restrictive filter.

I estimate that there is more potential with tuning on the Stage 2 kit. However, the problem with maximizing it will be the SEPST. HD really scaled back what is adjustable with these new tuners, so really the only thing I can adjust is the fuel tables – no timing. My advice is if you plan on stopping at the Stage 2 kit is using the canned map for that and leaving it alone. If you think you may want to do more work later (head work, more aggressive cam, full exhaust, etc.), you should purchase a tuner that allows more adjustability like a TTS or a Power Vision.
btw: I was asking about more noticeable valve train noise, so that part in the middle was his response to that.

The following 3 users liked this post by teedoff65:
14GuineaPig (08-10-2017), mndelrosario (08-10-2017), ral819 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 12:20 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

sorry

Last edited by 04ctd; 08-03-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
seems like a good post to follow up with a question:

stopped by dealer today, parts guy said if I buy a 2017 & pipes, they are "required" to do Pipes, A/C, and a SEPST, he said you CANNOT mix & match the stage one parts anymore (can't do pipes first, then AC later, or AC first then pipes later)

said had to do it all at once to keep warranty, and ANY off road pipe voids the warranty.

??
Sounds like the Parts guy is trying to sell parts.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I think it's worth buying the cables and auto tuning with the Street Tuner.

IMO it made a difference over the Stage 1 map, and quite a difference over the Stage 2 map.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dwagar
I think it's worth buying the cables and auto tuning with the Street Tuner.

IMO it made a difference over the Stage 1 map, and quite a difference over the Stage 2 map.
Which is what I did. I just didn't feel like it was this BIG improvement over stock that I kept reading here. But that's just me riding it without trying to somehow measure any difference other than feel.

Which is the reason I reached out to a pro.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

With your particular stage 1 upgrade, are you just adding slip-ons and a air cleaner? Also, was the tuner you were considering a SE?
I didn't catch any of the previous stuff you may have commented on.

OS

Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
With your particular stage 1 upgrade, are you just adding slip-ons and a air cleaner? Also, was the tuner you were considering a SE?
I didn't catch any of the previous stuff you may have commented on.

OS
Yeah, sorry. I should have prefaced with a little back story.

I did in fact upgrade with SE air cleaner and bought the SE pro street tuner. Already had S&S slip ons.

Did the AC and tune work myself and after a week or two the bike is running good. Was a little lack luster at first, and NO power it seemed, but a couple more auto tunes and it seems to running fine. Just wasnt impressed with the supposed gains everyone here said I would notice.

Also noticed more valve train noise...I think.....and will eventually go to stage 2 in the coming months.

I wanted to make sure I didnt just screw up completely, and so therefore emailed t man to get a pro's advice.

I guess it was more of a public service announcement, as I've seen a few posts here asking if a dyno was needed for a stage 1 upgrade, which I had questioned myself.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:25 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Not surprised. Even with the SE tuner I don't think dyno tuning is a good value with a Stage 1. If you have the ability to do auto tuning that gets it close enough for the vast majority of riders

Old 08-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Yeah, sorry. I should have prefaced with a little back story.

I did in fact upgrade with SE air cleaner and bought the SE pro street tuner. Already had S&S slip ons.

Did the AC and tune work myself and after a week or two the bike is running good. Was a little lack luster at first, and NO power it seemed, but a couple more auto tunes and it seems to running fine. Just wasnt impressed with the supposed gains everyone here said I would notice.

Also noticed more valve train noise...I think.....and will eventually go to stage 2 in the coming months.

I wanted to make sure I didnt just screw up completely, and so therefore emailed t man to get a pro's advice.

I guess it was more of a public service announcement, as I've seen a few posts here asking if a dyno was needed for a stage 1 upgrade, which I had questioned myself.
Gotcha,

Advice from my friend with a dyno in his workshop would be: "save your money if your doing a stage 1". I've heard him say it half a dozen times.
These new motors are a bit of a different animal but I'd say if you're planning a stage 2 i n the future then spend your money then.

OS

Old 08-03-2017, 02:46 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Gotcha,

Advice from my friend with a dyno in his workshop would be: "save your money if your doing a stage 1". I've heard him say it half a dozen times.
These new motors are a bit of a different animal but I'd say if you're planning a stage 2 i n the future then spend your money then.

OS
Yeah thats basically what the guy at t man said.

Quick Reply: tuning advice from an expert