Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1191333-oil-in-air-cleaner-on-2017-streetglide.html)

djs 08-04-2017 07:14 PM

oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide

Has anybody kept their oil level close to full hot with out the level going down or having oil in intake?

rmzebo 08-04-2017 07:47 PM

I know mine cant do it. I have to keep it just below the middle.like on the 4th set of dots.
any more and into the air cleaner it goes.

djs 08-04-2017 08:17 PM

Thanks. Same here

Retrop 08-08-2017 10:56 PM

Me three. Exasperating isn't it. This has been a problem with twin cams for years and now the same with M8.

mjwebb 08-08-2017 11:17 PM

working as designed as always..piss poor one at that..they just need to fix the dipstick so the readings reflect actual correct levels..it's stupid they continue to make this more confusing than it has to be

paullavery 08-09-2017 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by djs (Post 16499645)
Has anybody kept their oil level close to full hot with out the level going down or having oil in intake?

Mine does now after adding a 1 qt at 2300 miles ! MJ is right though that dipstick is a bad design.

djs 08-09-2017 06:34 AM

Oil in air cleaner

Originally Posted by mjwebb (Post 16512086)
working as designed as always..piss poor one at that..they just need to fix the dipstick so the readings reflect actual correct levels..it's stupid they continue to make this more confusing than it has to be

thank you. Amen. At least i am not the only one that feels this is a bad set up.why have full on dipstick if its not the correct level. Djs

BrandonSmith 08-09-2017 02:59 PM

I fill it so there are two empty dots when hot. It's stayed there for all 5000 miles.

texaswiz 08-09-2017 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by djs (Post 16512635)
thank you. Amen. At least i am not the only one that feels this is a bad set up.why have full on dipstick if its not the correct level. Djs

The problem is just not with the dipstick alone. The real problem is the fact that the engine pukes oil from the two rubber breather hoses up at the butterfly leading into the intake manifold. They call that "positive crankcase ventilation" technology and all vehicle manufacturers use some form of it on their product. On a modern day Harley the hotter the crankcase oil becomes the more it looks for an outlet for the expanding oil. If it is 98 degrees outside and you are riding 75-80 mph for an extended time so much oil is puked out the two rubber hoses that it can't all be drawn into the combustion chamber fast enough and some falls into the air cleaner where it drips down to the cam chest and is then blown to the exhaust pipes and saddlebags. It makes a hell of a mess that has to be cleaned up. This is not something that has just started. It has been happening for years and years. The only workable solution is to not put as much oil in the crankcase so it won't puke out the breather hoses when the engine gets hot. Another solution is to not ride over 50 mph when it really hot outside. Take your pick.

What with the new M8 engine, you would think the crack engineering team over at the MOCO would have redesigned something so that no longer happens. Didn't happen.

I will bet that the 2018 models will not be changed either. After all, they have been puking oil for at least ten years now and we keep on buying them, so why change? Come to think of it, we are not buying nearly as many as we did ten years ago according to the MOCO posted sales figures. Starting in 2007 model year sales of new Harleys have been on a steady slide downhill. Things like that may have something to do with the sales drop. Some people may have decided to try another brand for a change. I hear that Polaris is making a bike called "Indian" that some people are opting for instead of buying a new Harley. This must piss off the diehard fanboys to no end.

FurryOne 08-09-2017 06:47 PM

I went for the digital dipstick, and cold it reads 1/2, hot it reads 3/4. That seems to do the trick for me. I still get some glop in my catch-can, but not much.